Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies that will date?

• 01-05-2003 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Movies that will date in years to come.

i.e. what movies are we watching that our children will look at us and think, For **** Sake, Da.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well for me it has to be all the American Pie / Scary movie type of film. A good laugh now but have to be viewed in the era they were made to make any sense.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

American Pie / Scary movie

Teen movies always tend to date, like Pretty In Pink, Breakfast Club, The Adventure Of Baby Sitting etc. (i.e. most brat pack movies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Well for me it has to be all the American Pie / Scary movie type of film. A good laugh now but have to be viewed in the era they were made to make any sense.

Hyzepher

Have to agree with you there. Spot on. It'll be films like that will date quickest as times change.

After that your looking at SFX movies. With technoligies advancing as they are and the introduction of digital film making, I can see SFX films dating primarily because of the technoligies - the same as movies like King Kong, Destination Moon, The Ten Commandments have all dated because of what this generation expects with the techologies we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

[
    Teen movies always tend to date, like Pretty In Pink, Breakfast Club, The Adventure Of Baby Sitting etc. (i.e. most brat pack movies)

Aww no!! Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club are great!!!
    Scary Movie and American Pie will date cos they were bad in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by jonno
    After that your looking at SFX movies. With technoligies advancing as they are and the introduction of digital film making, I can see SFX films dating primarily because of the technoligies - the same as movies like King Kong, Destination Moon, The Ten Commandments have all dated because of what this generation expects with the techologies we have.

I'd disagree there.
    Looking at Terminator 2 recently, it hasn't seemed to age a bit. Same with the original Star Wars trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Movies with alot of pop culture will be the worst imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

the Friday series (the ice cube series,not the jason ;))

Its The House Party/Police Academy of the new millinium and Friday after Next was really scraping teh barrel.

I think history will be unkind to the current spate of schlock horror,

The Ring,The Cube2 and My little eye.All style over substance

But number one in the Wasnt the new millinium funny *hit list has to be The Fast And The Furious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I'd disagree there.
    Looking at Terminator 2 recently, it hasn't seemed to age a bit. Same with the original Star Wars trilogy.

I saw T2 recently as well. I agree it had dated but the special effects were still top class.

On another note I've just dloaded a trailer for T3. WOW.

I'd disagree there.

Well firstly T2's SFX were done by George Lucas and ILM. Also the original Star Wars trilogy was remastered with new digital technology. ILM almost single handedly pioneered the digital technology era in film making and seen as how almost the same technology that they introduced is still been used in contemporary cinema I wouldn't expect of these movies to age yet.

If you read my post again you will see that I compared trhe technology to films made back in the 1950 - 1960 bracket. So what I was saying was that as these films (made 40 odd years ago) have now aged, I suspect that in another 40 years films like T2 etc. etc. will alos have aged.

So, if in 40 years I'm wrong - you can get back to me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd disagree there.

not to mention terminator 1 which is still great to this day...s-club movie will most definally date ! :D I was watching the matrix the other day and errr....to be REALLY honest the special FX are ALLREADY starting to date ! only a few years old :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Thats easy! THE MATRIX.

Kids are going to look at that film in 20 years time and be seriously underwelmed by imagary in it.

Other films that depend a lot of their stylistic content (eg movies by David Fincher) aren't going to hold up well either. For example Fight Club is basically the 'Death Wish' of our generation and that hasn't exactly dated well over the 3 decades since its release.

As for the guy who said American Pie won't last the distance I'd have to disagree. I on;y saw the 1982 movie 'Fast Times at Ridgemount High' (a similar type film to Pie) for the first time less than 2 years ago and I was totally immersed in it.

American Pie (for all its childish humour and gross-out moments) has a heart at it's centre and that will help it last out in the long run.

BTW, I'm not dissing any of the movies I've mentioned here (also I actually prefer Fight Club to American Pie) just telling it as I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

movies date quickly in short term way too eg.all those american war movies that have been released recently! can we say propaganda? people are already sick of 'em

Originally posted by jonno
    Well firstly T2's SFX were done by George Lucas and ILM. Also the original Star Wars trilogy was remastered with new digital technology. ILM almost single handedly pioneered the digital technology era in film making and seen as how almost the same technology that they introduced is still been used in contemporary cinema I wouldn't expect of these movies to age yet.

If you read my post again you will see that I compared trhe technology to films made back in the 1950 - 1960 bracket. So what I was saying was that as these films (made 40 odd years ago) have now aged, I suspect that in another 40 years films like T2 etc. etc. will alos have aged.

So, if in 40 years I'm wrong - you can get back to me. ;)

You should notice that I reffered to the Original Star Wars trilogy, not the remastered version.

And it doesn't matter what age bracket the film is made in, I would't think. Many people are mentioning very, very recent films. Another point would be that the original Nosferatu hasn't dated too much either. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Many people are mentioning very, very recent films.
    I think the reason people are mentioning 'very recent films' is not thru film ignorance but because it quickly (ie in a decade or less) becomes apparent whether a film is going to age or not. If a film is 10+ years old and doesn't feel dated then it has beaten the effects of pop-culture and technological dependance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

You can argue that star wars , t2 and the matrix will not date because of the fact that they brough in a new era of special effects. But I see the matrix dating because star wars and t2 were one of kind back then, even spoofs can rip off the effects of the matrix theese days.

Originally posted by Pigman II
    I think the reason people are mentioning 'very recent films' is not thru film ignorance but because it quickly (ie in a decade or less) becomes apparent whether a film is going to age or not. If a film is 10+ years old and doesn't feel dated then it has beaten the effects of pop-culture and technological dependance.

I never insuniated that it was anything to do with ignorance. But to make a point to Jonno that a film doesn't have to be 40 or 50 years old to be allowed to date.

Do people keep missing my points on purpose here, or am I having a bad day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Elmo

Pretty in Pink & Breakfast Club are classics.

A lot of Buddy Buddy movies full of smart ass one liners will date. I think a lot of special effect movies will also date eg Godzilla & Astroid films.

But I think a lot of Action films will also date. The same old actors with the same one liners.

I was in a DVD store the other day and I asked myself - Could I see myself watching that film 6 times?

The vast vast majority of times - I said - no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by Hyzepher

Hyzepher

Please please please tell me that you put American Pie into the same category as Scary Movie by accident!!!!

Kids are going to look at that film in 20 years time and be seriously underwelmed by imagary in it.

sure the imagery in the Matrix will probably date, but there is more to that film than cinematic trickery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The thing is that there's *far* more movies being made now, then back when our parents were our age. IMO, most movies back then became classics, because a new movie was a big deal, and it was easy to be original. Some genres also never age. How many people here have fathers who know of every Western ever made and will watch them when they're on telly, regardless of how crap they seem?

One movie I watched today while I waited for my hangover to pass was South Park, and I thought of this thread. Anyone who wasn't a teenager within the last 15 years will have trouble ever enjoying this film IMO. I consider it an absolute classic, and watch it whenever there's nothing else on telly, but it won't appeal to teenagers in 15 years time, except maybe for the language. There's just too many in-jokes - Conan O'Brien, Bill Clinton, The Baldwins, Saddam Heussein, Bill Gates etc etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The matrix was ground-breaking. Alot of todays films mimic the "Bullet Time" technique. I dont think it will age because the idea of the matrix is original, isnt it?

• Advertisement

But the matrix was set in 1999 the greatest time for the human race. Thus the phones which were very cool then just look so out dated now.

But the matrix was set in 1999 the greatest time for the human race. Thus the phones which were very cool then just look so out dated now.

Going by that, Gladiator is fúcked so.:D :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't really think movies featuring a heavy dose of pop-culture will necessarily date. I mean, the pop-culture of Wayne's World bares less resemblence to that of today, and it's still an absolute timeless film.

But yeah, SFX-centric films date extremely quickly. The Matrix has already dated to some extent - one shot in particular (the bomb going off in the lobby) already looks noticably fake.

Going by that, Gladiator is fúcked so

I didn't mean that. I mean that The matrix has many things in it that have dated but much of that was there for it to become dated. I think also we will have to take all 3 films before we can say it is dated. Its not like Jonny Numonic which is totally dated(and a really bad movie).

In realation to gladiator will it be dated, is Ben Hur dated? I always watch ben hur every xmas, its a cool film.

Is Alien Dated?

Titanic will be dated, it was dated when it came out.

I was joking, I knew what you meant:ninja:

Ya that bomb scene is dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Is Alien Dated?

Alien's FX is dated. Alien 3 & resurrection are both bad stories, Resurrection is so badly directed.

Aliens (as in Alien 2) however, I believe is just a classic. The acting is superb, the dialog is awesome and it is just so atmospheric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think that your opinion on the subject really depends on how you interpret the word "date".

For example, I think the original Star Wars trilogy are incredibly dated. The acting is hammy, the FX are naff, and the storyline isnt really a hell of a lot to write about. Everything about their feel screams 70s at me.

Having said that...I still love the original SW movies...but more from familiarity and nostalgia, rather than from they're not being dated. I would say the same about most "old" movies. I can think of precious few that I can honestly say have dated well, or havent really dated at all.

If I had to pick movies that havent dated over the past 30 years, I'd be hard picked to find a single one. They're all dated in one way or another. Perhaps a more fitting question is which movies do not have a "timeless" appeal, or something along those lines.

Here, I would be inclined to say that something like Titanic will (unfortunately) outlast many of its contemporaries - because its popularity was not based on its effects, its action, or anything like that. It stands a good chance of becoming something like our generation's Gone With the Wind.

Similarly (and for me - more worthily), Shawshank will not date much either - again being a film which relies more on telling a good story well than one which relies on visual impact in some way - beit camera angles or whatever.

To be honest, I can think of very few action/sci-fi movies which wont date over the intervening years. With most of them, all you have to do is ask yourself "if these FX were crap, would I still like the movie" and you have your answer. In a decade or two, the FX will be crap.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by seamus
    The thing is that there's *far* more movies being made now then back when our parents were our age.
    The major Hollywood studios produced far more films during the "dream factory" period between 1930-1950 than before or since.
    IMO, most movies back then became classics
    No, you only bother to watch the classics now. Most films were dross that have since been long forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭hells angels

any film with tom green or sean william scott in it!!! IMO

• Advertisement

it's true Tom Green should really be shot

I never insuniated that it was anything to do with ignorance. But to make a point to Jonno that a film doesn't have to be 40 or 50 years old to be allowed to date.

Do people keep missing my points on purpose here, or am I having a bad day?

I think you're missing my point too. I never said that films have to 40 years old to 'be allowed' to date, (if you notice m initial post I commented that contemporary humour movies will probably date as times change) just merely suggesting that back then they created the SFX almost manually whereas nowadays we have the technology to do it for us.

And as the same technology is been used nowadays as was used back in the late 80's and early 90's, IMO the SFX that are created with this technology will probably not start dating until a newer technology has started to be used.

Before I go any further I better say that I don't think everyone here has the same meaning when saying films date. What I mean is that the films will look like they are been surpassed by new films that represent more modern values or more modern technologies or more modern ideas. For example alot of Hitchcock's films have dated. Whereas Citizen Kane, Casablanca, We're no angels, The Great Escape, Bullitt etc. have not IMO (then again I'd watch them forever)

But somebody said that Fincher's films will date. Maybe The Fight Club and Alien3 will but The Panic Room and Seven will live on a bit further I'd say. He's has a very defining method of film making and some very nive camera visionary up his sleeve as seen in The Panic Room. And Seven, well enough said all that I think can date in that is Morgan Freemans wardrobe.

Woh I'm getting carried away here. Anyway those of you have The matrix down as been dated already are not disappointed on May 23:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by karma kabbage
    it's true Tom Green should really be shot

I bet he probably would let you if you paid him enough

wouldn't even need to pay him much, so long as you had enough ppl there to watch and laugh at him....

ooo, look at ME, look at ME

Advertisement