Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water damaged s2 :(

• 01-01-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Dropped my s2 in the sink 3 nights ago, fully submerged for no longer than 2 seconds.

Did the whole battery out, rice etc. but after this its showing no signs of life. Im 12 months into an 18 month contract with meteor and am heading into GMS solutions in Abbey street tomorrow but am fearful its either a) broken beyond repair or b) going to be really exspensive to fix if it can be at all.

Anybody any experience of this ? is it likely ill have to get a new phone, if not how much am i looking at paying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bobby10_10 wrote: »
    Dropped my s2 in the sink 3 nights ago, fully submerged for no longer than 2 seconds.

Did the whole battery out, rice etc. but after this its showing no signs of life. Im 12 months into an 18 month contract with meteor and am heading into GMS solutions in Abbey street tomorrow but am fearful its either a) broken beyond repair or b) going to be really exspensive to fix if it can be at all.

Anybody any experience of this ? is it likely ill have to get a new phone, if not how much am i looking at paying.

Are you not supposed to keep it in rice for 5 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bowl of uncooked rice, hot press, 24-72 hours. You never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Are you not supposed to keep it in rice for 5 days?

I kept my galaxy in rice for at leadt that long and made no difference...still dead :(

Good luck OP, i hope you have a more positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

Cheers. Did you bring it anywhere to try get fixed ? any idea of cost. I have a bad feeling ill be going phone shopping tomorow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

GSm Solutions .ie is the worst place you can bring it. They will either rip you off badly or do poor job and and offer you a very short guarantee. Have had friends ripped off by these guys , and have seen dozens of others posters being ripped off by them on this site. One guy recently paid a good amount of money getting his Ps3 repaired for 3 rings of death and he was given a 1 month guarantee. Guess what happened shortly after one month!

I have no idea whether you phone is fixable or not or whether it can be permanently fixed or not but I recommend you ring a few places before you decide where to bring it

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice, i shall head into several shops in town tomorow and see what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

pure alcohol works too, drop it in that and it gets rid of the water and because pure alcohol doesn't conduct it can help.

same with pure distilled water (0 impurities) but AFAIK the alcohol is easier to get

Any recomendations on any phone repair shops in dublin city centre ? First stop will be georges street i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

Dropped mine down the loo last night. Put it in bag of rice in hot press for about 10 hours. Some condensation on the screen and switching off earlier. Just left it on hot radiator for an hour to see if it would kill or cure it. Lookin good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cheers. Did you bring it anywhere to try get fixed ? any idea of cost. I have a bad feeling ill be going phone shopping tomorow

No, there's nowhere near me that does repairs. I'm currently using a very cheap phone...a €20 from tesco job (was out of contract and on a €16, 30 day rolling plan with tesco when i dropped mine down the toilet) Kills me every time i have to use it and texting is so painful but is a good lesson in wants vs needs and as i'm saving for a house i can't justify forking out for a new expensive monthly contract & phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

Any recomendations on any phone repair shops in dublin city centre ? First stop will be georges street i think.
    I use FM Mobiles on Georges Street.
    They may give you a "no foal, no fee" deal where they won't charge you if they can't fix it.

long_b wrote: »
    I use FM Mobiles on Georges Street.
    They may give you a "no foal, no fee" deal where they won't charge you if they can't fix it.

awwww, i was expecting something different when i read no foal, like someone had tried to exchange a small horse for a new phone or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I've heard if the phone was switched of at the time it vastly improves your chances of the phone working again, ie less chance of the electronics shorting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've heard if the phone was switched of at the time it vastly improves your chances of the phone working again, ie less chance of the electronics shorting etc.

So people, please remember to turn your phone off before dropping it in the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

And take the battery out. It might be easier to leave the battery out and get a second phone to leave on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Best to leave it for 2-3 days before trying to switch it on again.

What's the rush? If it's borked, it's borked but switching it on before it's fully dried out might damage it.

I rescued my Desire HD this way after a dip in the jacks.

Brought it to several shops and its broken beyond repair.

Luckily i got a bonus from work so can replace it without too much financial concern. If i go into meteor is there any such thing as a downgrade or anything they can do ?

Also looking at a sim free phone. How does that work ? i have 6 months left on my bill so is it just a matter of bringing it to one of those unlocking shops and it will then work with my meteor bill sim ?

sim free will work for meteor out of the box

Cool, i havent had a chance to replace it yet due to work but am looking at a sim free phone from expansys.ie

Is it worth me going into Carphone warehouse tomorow and explaining what happened ? is there any room for negotiation or is it just a matter of me having broke my phone 12 months into an 18 month contract and having to deal with it ?

Also, if i dont get a sim free phone online i was looking at just picking up a meteor PAYG phone, im assuming that would work with my Meteor bill sim also ?

thanks

Advertisement