Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wheel is 'Zonda' of Deep Rims?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Zondas are super popular among racers because they are the best value wheel that give great stiffness, light weight and looks awesome to boot!

But what is the 'Zonda' of 50mm deep rims?

You got Planet X which would be the Aksiums, they are decent enough, but if I am going to spend my money on some Aero tech I want something with update to aero tech and not the old narrow 'V' shaped rims.

Zipp 404 Firecrests are obviously top notch but far above my pay grade and level talent to justify.

Is there a clincher wheel that is both aero and light enough for under 700?
    I see some people mention Cosmics but amongst the TT people they aren't considered that Aero in comparison to Zipps etc.

Whats popular out there among Irish racers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yishun and Farsports do all versions of both Carbon clinchers and carbon with alloy brake track in all depths.
    Should come in well under 700.
    There is also a place in the UK called Kinetec who will custom build a set of 44's for about 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zipps 404 FC are 24.73mm at the brake track and 26.53mm at max width, enough to cause problems with some frames.

Wheelsmith Race50 C23 are 23mm wide at the brake track.
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race50-c23

CERO RC50 Carbon Clincher, lighter, cheaper, not sure how wide
    http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?pid138.html

I have 1397g 50mm carbon clinchers from Soul, a few years old and v-section but still going so I don't see that there is any excuse for heavy 50mm wheels.

I'd also be tempted by the Wheelsmith carbon/alloy clinchers, better braking than the full carbons and not a massive weight penalty although not as deep as Cosmics which may explain the relative lightness.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Boras.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

@BCMF & Lumen

I was hoping to stay away from X-Brand/Chinese Carbon clinchers as if I want to get some aero tech I want it to be wind tunnel proven. Thats not to say anything negative about Wheelsmith in anyway, they are well though of and there is a good reason for that.

Zipps 404 FC are 24.73mm

There is the thing, Zipp and companies like HED put a lot of money in to research on there products being aero and both have gone to the wider rims because it allows for better aerodynamics between the tyre and around the rim and of the back of the wheel as the air leaves. Then there is the whole 'U' shaped versus the 'V' rims as this has been proven to work better.

Deep rims look well, but I also want them to be as effective as possible.

@Vladimir Kurtains yeah, Boras were the obvious step up from Zondas, but they are quiet expensive and only tubs I think. You riding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want Zipps buy Zipps. :pac:

Tour magazine do some aero testing. Don't be surprised if German wheels win.

Do you really want to go down the yaw angle rabbit hole?

Chart_v3-748x412.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Sound.
    Try the Campy Bullet 50's.
    Be doing well to get them under 700 but should come in under 800 somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Lumen wrote: »
    If you want Zipps buy Zipps. :pac:

Tour magazine do some aero testing. Don't be surprised if German wheels win.

Do you really want to go down the yaw angle rabbit hole?

Chart_v3-748x412.jpg

Lets not worry about yaw angles, ride fast enough the yaw angle will always be narrow ;)

Yeah it seems its Zipp or nothing. In that case I'll just go with the Zonda :)

EDIT:
    Tour mag do seem very pro German brands. They tested Gp4000s as the tyre with lowest rolling resistance against Vittoria Open Corsa, two other sources had it the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Boras.

Boras are €2k, so wouldn't say they're the Zondas of anything!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

letape wrote: »
    Boras are €2k, so wouldn't say they're the Zondas of anything!

Zondas aren't the cheapest around either, they're reliable, mid-market wheels. You can get Bora Ones for around €1,400, which is pretty much the mid-range bracket for deep carbon wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

The new swiss side hadron project wheels that will be released in the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement