Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Eating(non processed food)

Options
  • 29-03-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Not new to this but been making an extra effort,trying to cut down on processed foods and keep it natural as possible.Have been doing a bit of juicing etc....I'm not a total health food freak but trying to keep a good balance.
    Interested in stuff to boost the immune system and help recovery after hard races and training.
    Anyone else into this ?where do you buy your stuff and any interesting recipes , meals, juices, training/race food ,herbs ,teas an' all that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Big fan of Scott Jurek's Mushroom and Green Lentil Burger recipe, plenty of protein and plant based so easy on the gut too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Thai curry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I recently got a diet plan from Barry Murray (http://www.optimumnutrition4sport.com). A balanced diet with v little processed food was the order of the day. Timing very important however. Green tea is good but no need to go overboard. Everything in moderation. Try adding some cinnamon to your smoothies/juices (the juices are loaded with carbs I'd imagine so try to consume mainly after a hard session followed by protein + fats). Also, coconut water is supposed to have some nutritional benefits. Doesn't taste great though. Spinach is great for something that I can't remember but read about in Joe Friels books. Think it's something to do with keeping your bones strong as you get older. Finally, raisins help the muscles recover by reducing your PH as they have one of the highest values of Alkaline foods (-21) with spinach coming in at -14 among veg. Actually one last thing, Rhooibos tea is good and Barry recommends supplement products from Pulsin but that's all they're to be used for is just to supplement the diet if needs be. Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just spotted this: http://optimumnutrition4sport.co.uk/events/?event_id=32

What you will learn:

- The Foundational Principles of Food– All you need to know and haven’t been told
    - Modern Trends and Diets – Putting several years of nutrition info into one pot
    - Energy Production and Metabolism – How to use different fuels and build your engine
    - Hormonal Responses – How foods hit Triggers and Switches
    - Nutrient Timing – When and Why it’s best to eat certain foods
    - Metabolic Efficiency and Fat Adaptation – The secret to optimal performance and health
    - Anabolic Nutrition – How to keep/build and prevent muscle breakdown
    - Inflammation – How to control it and foods that prevent it
    - Recovery Strategies – The best methods and how to optimise training adaptations
    - Immunity/Injury – How to prevent illness and heal
    - Peak Performance – foods, strategies and ergognenic aids for competition

Would be well worth going along to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭furiousox

I made a concious decision to improve my diet after Christmas.
    I'd put on nearly 10lbs through lack of excercise and over indulging.
    'Clean food' was the phrase I kept in mind for myself.
    I started using soya milk on my cereal, replaced white bread with wholegrain, replaced butter with an olive oil based spread, cut down on meat and ate more fish, veg and wholemeal pasta.
    Stopped eating junk completely, ate more fruit and reduced alcohol intake.
    Even made some dishes with Quorn 'chicken' and 'mince' which isn't bad at all.
    I'm now back to my normal weight and feel much better overall, less sluggish and improved energy levels.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Thanks for all the replies (keep them coming) I have a good idea myself but variety is the key to keeping it up, so it's interesting to hear other peoples ideas. Also planning and preparing food for when I'm in work as I train early in the morning before work .
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I went red meat and poultry-free at the end of 2012. I eat a bit of fish, now and then. Since then, i'm eating mostly fruit and veg. In the morning, i'd have a fruit smoothie; water/coconut water, several RIPE bananas, strawberries, blueberries and even some dates (if they're soft/been soaked). Chuck in a wee bit of dark chocolate and/or cinnamon and blend. I make about a litre and it goes down a treat.

Lunch, using today as an example, was veggie rice with chili mushrooms.

Dinner will probably be a big salad; tons of greens, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, peppers/capsicum, etc and little/no oil. Rice on the side, depending on what i'm at the next day. Perhaps another smoothie (maybe a green one) on top of it.

Since I kicked meat, poultry, dairy and wheat (as much as is reasonable, to me), I've found myself feeling much better.

I can't recommend smoothies enough, especially for morning; little to no preparation time, easy to drink en route to work or when you arrive there. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Feed zone cookbook is savage. A must for every cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I make almond milk instead of regular cow milk. Soak some almonds overnight, pop them in a blender with water - half and half - blend, strain the liquid with muslin cloth, sweeten with honey or maple syrup if you like. Doesn't heat very well so best used with muesli instead of porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I keep being told that smoothies are a bad idea cos of all the sugar, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

start making your own soups, handy all in one soup makers that cook and blend the ingredients in one go on the market the last while.. throw in red lentils or quinoa for a dose of protein, nice and easy to get into ya after a workout, particularly when its cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Perfect for after training when you need sugar and made with milk and yogurt will have enough protein for recovery.

start making your own soups, handy all in one soup makers that cook and blend the ingredients in one go on the market the last while.. throw in red lentils or quinoa for a dose of protein, nice and easy to get into ya after a workout, particularly when its cold.

Have been using Quinoa but never thought of putting it in soup. Definitely gonna give that a go .Homemade soups are great as they're handy to bring into work and heat up ,and a big fan of lentils too.
    Thanks.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I make almond milk instead of regular cow milk. Soak some almonds overnight, pop them in a blender with water - half and half - blend, strain the liquid with muslin cloth, sweeten with honey or maple syrup if you like. Doesn't heat very well so best used with muesli instead of porridge.

Sounds good, will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Have been using Quinoa but never thought of putting it in soup. Definitely gonna give that a go .Homemade soups are great as they're handy to bring into work and heat up ,and a big fan of lentils too.
    Thanks.

yeah, boil it up with the rest of your ingredients till its little spirals appear, then blitz, makes for little white specks through the soup, you wouldnt even know you're eating it

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

ror_74 wrote: »

This is something that Scott Jurek recommends too. I'm not a runner by any means. Can just about JOG 5km, but his book "Eat and Run" is inspirational... I've found myself eating vegan recipes by osmosis despite having previously had more than a passing penchant for lots of meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I get lots of fruit in this way. No added sugar, just fruit and water. I sometimes use hazelnut milk instead of water, too. Mighty shtuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Saw a recipe for rice cakes on twitter but cant find it again.

The saxo chef has this one

http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/video-how-to-make-rice-cakes-widely-regarded-as-great-grub-for-cyclists/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Sounds good, will try that.
    cycleoin86 wrote: »
    This is something that Scott Jurek recommends too. I'm not a runner by any means. Can just about JOG 5km, but his book "Eat and Run" is inspirational... I've found myself eating vegan recipes by osmosis despite having previously had more than a passing penchant for lots of meat!

I forgot its a vegan staple ! I find it easy to digest and tastes lovely.

Have a look for Karen Knowler on youtube, she goes through how to make it. You can get a kilo of almonds in most of the Indian grocery stores for about 11 euro, which yields between 4 and 5 litres of milk. Soaking them makes them easier to blend.

Advertisement