Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Des Hanlon Memorial, March 23 2014, Carlow

• 19-03-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Is this on Sunday? Anyone got any details?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Is this the sign-on location? It's coming up as Laois on Google Maps, just wanted to check for sure!

goo.gl/maps/KqNXR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

QueensGael wrote: »
    Is this the sign-on location? It's coming up as Laois on Google Maps, just wanted to check for sure!

goo.gl/maps/KqNXR

That's where it was last year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

my legs hurt just looking at the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

QueensGael wrote: »

goo.gl/maps/KqNXR

but if you look closely it seems the Laois/Carlow border seems to run through the middle of the town hence the club coming up as in Laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

The women's race is being highlighted on the new website also - will add the sign-on details too

http://womenscycling.ie/the-des-hanlon-memorial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

How would this compare to something like say the cycleways cup. Would it be alot harder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

lennymc wrote: »
    my legs hurt just looking at the poster.

Spill the beans Lenny

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Oh it's hard alright. Really hard. Narrow, hard roads, tough climbs and fast descents. One of the big races of the year and one of the best. Most of the action takes place on the second half of the races when you go over four difficult climbs, the last of which is especially painful. In A3 we've to do a second lap, doesn't bear thinking about. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

slfcarro5 wrote: »
    How would this compare to something like say the cycleways cup. Would it be alot harder?

Make sure you bring your climbing legs along.

It's very tough but due to the climbs it's also very safe since the bunch gets torn to pieces and the descents aren't very technical.

That said, there was a crash last year in A4 going up the first drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Make sure you bring your climbing legs along.

It's very tough but due to the climbs it's also very safe since the bunch gets torn to pieces and the descents aren't very technical.

That said, there was a crash last year in A4 going up the first drag.

Was there? Must have been cleared by the time I got there... That's not snarkiness, that's the sound of my dignity drowning.

The left-hander at Castlecomer is key by the way. Goes straight up a drag and this is the first spot to try and inflict some hurt. Getting there in a decent position and in the right gear is crucial. Lots of people are overgeared, so slip it into the small ring as you turn and then get ready to accelerate up the hill. This split the bunch to pieces last year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Edited thread title since this is looking like it's turning into the main thread about the race.

Was there? Must have been cleared by the time I got there... That's not snarkiness, that's the sound of my dignity drowning.

There was, it was just one guy though I think, rocking his bike over and back and went down.

Don't you mean it must have been cleared by the time you got there after sitting on lenny's wheel..... That's not snarkiness, that's the sound of me making sure your dignity is well and truly gone :D

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make this Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Seems a lot of the A4's strava's for this race was 73km last year, is it increased to 80km for this year, further pain !

The route is the same. For some reason they list it as being 80k, but it is indeed closer to 73k. Was the same case last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I mapped out the A3 and A4 routes on RideWithGPS for my clubmates. Some of you might mind them useful. Note that I've omitted the neutralised roll-out in both cases.

A4 and Ladies (1 lap): http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4246342
    A3 and Juniors (2 laps): http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4246026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

When I rode this in A4 two years ago it was just attritional over the first three hills after the turn at Castlecomer. There was still a decent bunch at the bottom of the last hill but all the damage was done there with 4 getting away to contest the finish. It's still a decent run in from the top of the last hill so no harm for there to be a couple to share the work.

Hard to know how the A3 race will pan out. There may be some super juniors strong enough to attack on one of the early climbs (or even before, them crazy kids) and spend the day out on their own but it might also be a more gradual whittling down of the field with the decisive attacks coming later. It will be fun whatever happens.

Hard to know how the A3 race will pan out. There may be some super juniors strong enough to attack on one of the early climbs (or even before, them crazy kids) and spend the day out on their own but it might also be a more gradual whittling down of the field with the decisive attacks coming later. It will be fun whatever happens.

Last year there was an early break of 6 on the first lap, that got swallowed up by a chasing group of about 15 juniors and stronger A3s on the second lap. Then about 10 went away on the last climbs while the chaff (including me) were left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You need to be pretty ballsy to attack on the first lap of this race, so there is a chance it could very conservative on the first lap. Having said that, I reckon there's a heap of young fellas who are just dying to use the more favourable terrain to put the hurt on the rest of us. My prediction is it'll go gangbusters right from the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

It'll be my first 'Des'. Looking forward to it. What are the road surfaces like? I'm wondering whether to go with my Open Corsa race day tyres or play it safe and switch to my GP4000 training tyres...

It's been a few years since I did it, but I don't remember the circuit being that bad. I'm bringing the good wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

It's been a few years since I did it, but I don't remember the circuit being that bad. I'm bringing the good wheels.

The roads are generally good but last year the narrow climb, before descending towards the final hill, was very mucky and seemed even narrower than usual due to the large sized bunch.

The group was racing from the drop of the flag but the first real damage was done coming out of Castlecomer. The slog continued from there with riders continuously going south and many small groups coming together on the road. At the conclusion of lap 1 the A3 race was in bits. This pattern continued on lap 2. It is more a strongmans race than a climbers race.

cantalach wrote: »
    It'll be my first 'Des'. Looking forward to it. What are the road surfaces like? I'm wondering whether to go with my Open Corsa race day tyres or play it safe and switch to my GP4000 training tyres...

There's a descent in the first 10-20km which has potholes IIRC, the A4 bunch arrived at it to find the road littered with A3 bottles, and then proceeded to add their own. Punctures too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

There's a descent in the first 10-20km which has potholes IIRC, the A4 bunch arrived at it to find the road littered with A3 bottles, and then proceeded to add their own. Punctures too.

That's correct. There was a large pothole or two on a descent on the way out. This was on the main road and the speed was up at the time. A load of wheels made contact so hopefully the council have sorted it for Sunday.

Just read on sb that Eddie Dunbar is riding. There will be no shortage of pain for anyone who fancies their chances of staying with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

View from the comfort of team car talking but i always feel the hardest part of this circuit is the draggy section that comes close to the lap finish up by the grotto which is after the climbs as such.Selections always made along this section and guys that have hung on in the hills get shelled along here.I imagine the A3 race will be junior led allright especially with a lot of the strong A3s already upgraded.Get ready for the ''Eddie Show''id say.

Might be a few strong vets up there too. Some names popping up in A3 this year that were very competitive at the top level in the receng past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 bikenut74

The actual distance for the races are 73km, 112km and 151km with 800m 1,300m and 1,800m of climbing respectively. It's the same route as previous years heading out the N80 Portlaoise Rd and finishing on the R430 Castlecomer Rd. The finish is the same as last year on a closed 500m after the roundabout. We don't expect large groups sprinting it out. We hope to mix it up a bit this year by offering primes on the route (when,where TBA). Unfortunately the big hole on the decent from Arles has not been repaired and maybe bigger. It will be well marked and we will warn all at the start about it. We will try have a marshal at that point and have oncoming traffic stopped.

Might be a few strong vets up there too. Some names popping up in A3 this year that were very competitive at the top level in the receng past.

Have you been noticing who wasn't listed in the upgrades in the rankings? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

So, in short: don’t get eaten by the pothole, don’t get assaulted by any dropped bike bottles, don’t drop my own bike bottle, do drop the climbers on the climbs, don’t fall off on the descents, do drop the rouleurs on the flats, do drop the sprinters in the sprint, and roll casually over the line to an easy victory. Right, got it!

…I think I may cry, and I’m in A4 so I don’t even have to contend with any extra laps or (fail to) contend with the likes of Eddie Dunbar. I’m struggling to recall my reasons for choosing cycling as my “fun” hobby of choice :)

doozerie wrote: »
    So, in short: don’t get eaten by the pothole, don’t get assaulted by any dropped bike bottles, don’t drop my own bike bottle, do drop the climbers on the climbs, don’t fall off on the descents, do drop the rouleurs on the flats, do drop the sprinters in the sprint, and roll casually over the line to an easy victory. Right, got it!

…I think I may cry, and I’m in A4 so I don’t even have to contend with any extra laps or (fail to) contend with the likes of Eddie Dunbar. I’m struggling to recall my reasons for choosing cycling as my “fun” hobby of choice :)

I was dropped very, very early on last year, despite Lennys attempts to drag me up hills. After awhile I realised much of the course is part of the Leinster Loop, so if, god forbid, you do get dropped, treat it like a sportive and enjoy the scenery.

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you been noticing who wasn't listed in the upgrades in the rankings? :D
    Buffalo new rule this yr.45/50 yr olds could come down a category but are subject to the normal upgrade on reaching the points.Same applied to over 50s but the big difference is they dont have to upgrade on reaching the points unless they CHOOSE TO.T o be honest i think its about right as most over 50s shouldnt be expected to race with the top guys week in week out.If they can pick up a pot or an odd win in their 50s in A3 races well good luck to them i say.[maybe im thinking of the wrong guy]

wav1 wrote: »
    Buffalo new rule this yr.45/50 yr olds could come down a category but are subject to the normal upgrade on reaching the points.Same applied to over 50s but the big difference is they dont have to upgrade on reaching the points unless they CHOOSE TO.T o be honest i think its about right as most over 50s shouldnt be expected to race with the top guys week in week out.If they can pick up a pot or an odd win in their 50s in A3 races well good luck to them i say.[maybe im thinking of the wrong guy]

Tech Regs for 2014 say otherwise wav - T3, 4 (c):
    Veteran riders in their 50th or greater year and irrespective of their category may apply, on their
    first licence application for the relevant licence year, for an A2 or A3 licence with zero points
    brought forward. Such riders are subject to automatic upgrades during the licence year on
    reaching the relevant points threshold.

If a 50+yo can win enough points in A3 to get an upgrade, more power to them, they're clearly a class act and quality rider - and therefore able to compete with A2s.

• Advertisement

Tech Regs for 2014 say otherwise wav - T3, 4 (c):

If a 50+yo can win enough points in A3 to get an upgrade, more power to them, they're clearly a class act and quality rider - and therefore able to compete with A2s.
    They have obviously not been updated,but you can take it from me it was def changed last yr at CI AGM as part of a general category review made by a working group which i was part of.Also included was the option of juniors to go directly to A2 upon leaving Junior [previously mandatory A3] if they were carrying 50 plus jun ranking points.The upgrade now only applies to riders who are 45/50 plus the younger A3s obviously.The whole motion/submission was passed en bloc.

They have obviously not been updated,but you can take it from me it was def changed last yr at CI AGM as part of a general category review made by a working group which i was part of.Also included was the option of juniors to go directly to A2 upon leaving Junior [previously mandatory A3] if they were carrying 50 plus jun ranking points.The upgrade now only applies to riders who are 45/50 plus the younger A3s obviously.The whole motion/submission was passed en bloc.

Somebody messed up then, because here's the CI 2014 TRs, with the rule above as quoted on page 23: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/technical%20rules%202014%20v3%20finalv3.pdf

I don't recall noticing that rule at the AGM - A3 could be a very crowded cat with all the juniors racing in it, and now the potential for all the decent 50+ vets as well. Makes the case for attributing all ranking points to actual A3s much stronger.

Somebody messed up then, because here's the CI 2014 TRs, with the rule above as quoted on page 23: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/technical%20rules%202014%20v3%20finalv3.pdf

I don't recall noticing that rule at the AGM - A3 could be a very crowded cat with all the juniors racing in it, and now the potential for all the decent 50+ vets as well. Makes the case for attributing all ranking points to actual A3s much stronger.
    As you know i have been argueing this for 2 years.Also CI rankings are all over the gaff.Newly upgraded A3s [from A4] have brought their poinys up with them when they should have zero

As you know i have been argueing this for 2 years.Also CI rankings are all over the gaff.Newly upgraded A3s [from A4] have brought their poinys up with them when they should have zero

Aye the rankings issued for 2014 a couple of days back were wrong for everyone I checked, a sample of 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

best of luck to all my a3 buddys doing this on Sunday i got droped goin up by the grotto last year on the first lap ended up bonking and Getin to the finish in a very bad way. i felt i was going a bit better this year and i was looking forward to seeing how far i might get . Its a savage race with no where to hide enjoy the suffering i will be looking forward to the reports

• Advertisement

best of luck to all my a3 buddys doing this on Sunday i got droped goin up by the grotto last year on the first lap ended up bonking and Getin to the finish in a very bad way. i felt i was going a bit better this year and i was looking forward to seeing how far i might get . Its a savage race with no where to hide enjoy the suffering i will be looking forward to the reports

I was thinking that im sorry to be missing this race, then I remembered last year's race ....

Ill be back next year! !

wont be the same without ya.hope you'll be allrite for ''Archbalds''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Cant wait for sunday. What a great race. Lets see who will show up for it. Could be a really strong field with the likes of shaw, sherlock sticking around for it and maybe lavery. Let the pain comence. Best of luck to everyone riding it. Stay safe yall. See ye on the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

The typo in the rule book was picked up on a few weeks back. It just needs to be updated as wav1 is 100% correct being the reliable source he is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 B82Eng

Hi

Long time listener first time caller. It will be my first time racing the Des Hanlon. Was in Lucan yesterday for the A4 so hopefully the legs hold up. Question, with all this talk of how hard the hills are what sort of gearing is best? The lowest I have would be a 39 - 25 and cant be bothered changing blocks. Will it get me round?

Many Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

B82Eng wrote: »
    Hi

Long time listener first time caller. It will be my first time racing the Des Hanlon. Was in Lucan yesterday for the A4 so hopefully the legs hold up. Question, with all this talk of how hard the hills are what sort of gearing is best? The lowest I have would be a 39 - 25 and cant be bothered changing blocks. Will it get me round?

Many Thanks

If you stick to the front group then you won't get as low as 39x25. Good luck in the race today!

Eddie Dunbar show in full flight
    Fiona Cooke ‏@fi_cooke 5m
    I make that @EddieDunbar gap back to 4 chasers about 3mins, then a bunch 20secs behind them #thedes2014 #A3Race

https://twitter.com/fi_cooke/status/447731405720928256/photo/1

BjapV1WIcAAYGX5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Any results in all races guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭25sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Cork county cc tweet saying Eddie Dunbar won the A3 with around a 6 minutes gap. Unreal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement