Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic R-SYS Wheels.

Options
  • 11-09-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

hello all, i put a €100 deposit on a set of R-Sys wheels that i spotted yesterday in a shop in Belgium, i'm getting them for €599 for the pair, reduced from €1100! however i've since googled the wheels for more info and the general consensus is that they're prone to breaking, so i'm a little worried that i may be buying the nails for my coffin! we all know what Irish roads are like, that said i'm 68kgs so they won't have big weight to carry, does anyone know or have heard about the carbon fibre spokes breaking in the real world, not second hand stories off the internet? thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

oh crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The original models were prone to breakage, subsequent are much better. Under normal usage at least. If you are in a crash, then you will most likely come out worse off than if you had regular wheels. My own problem with them is that those big spokes are not very aero.

You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a pair which came with a new bike. They are fantastic riding wheels, very light and very stiff. As Quigs says not aero at all (literally any wheel is better) so I have never raced on them but they are extremely light and lovely wheels for mountain sportives like the Marmotte or Wicklow 200.

I would not worry about breakage. They are very strong and have taken pounding over bad roads better than other wheels I have had. They break only with direct impacts to the spokes; I have broken spokes but only in a crash where a clubmates arse went directly into my rear wheel. Repair was not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

hello all, i put a €100 deposit on a set of R-Sys wheels that i spotted yesterday in a shop in Belgium, i'm getting them for €599 for the pair, reduced from €1100! however i've since googled the wheels for more info and the general consensus is that they're prone to breaking, so i'm a little worried that i may be buying the nails for my coffin! we all know what Irish roads are like, that said i'm 68kgs so they won't have big weight to carry, does anyone know or have heard about the carbon fibre spokes breaking in the real world, not second hand stories off the internet? thanks...

is the shop on the internet, or actually in person?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blorg wrote: »
    a clubmates arse went directly into my rear wheel. Repair was not difficult.
    Dr blorg - very handy with a large bandage and a couple of paracetamol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

is the shop on the internet, or actually in person?

no it's an actual shop, they're Specialized and Trek dealers, some spot it is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Hate to dig up an old thread but im buying a set of these and im wondering how you got on with your set?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

He is probably dead. Although I have a set and I am not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

There ment to be absolute fans. Like very stiff, very light but the most un-aerodynamic wheels in the market. My mechanic said that the gains youd make on the up hill would be easily cancelled out and overcovered by the disadvantage for the aerodynamics required in the descent and he couldnt understand why anyone would buy them. Seeing as he got a big tt win this weekend against some top riders im inclined to say he knows his stuff. I seen a chart based on it before but cant seem to find it. That said if your not racing it probably wouldnt matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

What if it's an uphill finish?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Plastik wrote: »

Then you're probably not racing in Ireland......

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Plastik wrote: »

Aerodynamics over weight unless your racing up mount ventoux.
    He did say they would be good for a Mountain TT (only the national hill climb comes to mind)
    the longest hill finish ive ever done is 2-3k (Junior tour and tour of connacht) and at that stage youve already 80-100k of racing done so 2-3hrs disadvantage for ~7min advantage, im a heavy enough rider and will never win a hill finish so i wouldnt be bothered. Id rather aero anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

RobFowl wrote: »
    Then you're probably not racing in Ireland......

The finish in Balbriggan was uphilly enough for me not to win yesterday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

XtotheZ wrote: »
    There ment to be absolute fans. Like very stiff, very light but the most un-aerodynamic wheels in the market. My mechanic said that the gains youd make on the up hill would be easily cancelled out and overcovered by the disadvantage for the aerodynamics required in the descent and he couldnt understand why anyone would buy them. Seeing as he got a big tt win this weekend against some top riders im inclined to say he knows his stuff. I seen a chart based on it before but cant seem to find it. That said if your not racing it probably wouldnt matter

Yee lads do realise aerodynamics at speeds under 45km/h are absolutely tiny tiny tiny, the r sys might be 22mm with like 4mm spokes but your body is roughly 15times bigger. Deep rims in cross-winds are worse than these in real life.

Anyways got them for under 200 so if they offer lightweight durability theyll do the job

Advertisement