Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to volumise curly hair

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

I have very curly hair, but the curls only start about 2 inches away from my roots, which are almost completely straight. When I leave my hair to dry naturally it ends up very flat on top and very full on the bottom; the dreaded triangle hair!

I'm looking for tips for injecting volume to the roots of my hair, to give it some lift and to balance out the weight at the ends. My hair is currently shoulder length with some long layers. It's very thick and quite heavy.

I use Tresemmé shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair at the moment, with Frizz Ease serum after washing. I've ordered a diffuser online so that I can blow-dry my hair curly in the autumn/winter, hopefully this might help with the flat roots situation.

Any tips or product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LemonWorld

I've been growing my curly hair out recently, from above shoulder to nearly bra-strap length now. At pretty much any length though I think I've faced the same problem as you with the dreaded triangle-head!

To be honest, the only thing I find definitively works is cutting in shorter layers that will curl more and give it an overall better shape. Right now I've my hair cut into 3 layers: the bottom one to give it length, and a shorter one that falls about my jawline and curls better to give my noggin a bit of shape. And a few middle ones to basically stop it looking like a big "step" in my hair!

A diffuser will help in the short-term though. I'm too broke to buy a new hairdryer right now but I'm always stealing my Mum's whenever I'm home! To give it a bit of hold once your done, spray a bit of hairspray on your fingers and rub it into your roots where you want it to hold. I find it works better for holding up your curls better than just spraying around your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

TRESemmé 24 Hour Plumping Powder works for me. Now I don't have curly hair but still, you have two inches of straight hair to work it into so it should be fine. It's really good, although it does feel a bit gritty when you first apply it, a tiny little bit of backcombing after it's applied would work wonders too.

http://www.boots.ie/en/TRESemme-24-Hour-Body-Sky-High-Plump-Powder-10g_1222312/

LemonWorld is right about cutting in layers to your hair to get rid of that triangle look, especially if your hair is quite thick. You could always thin out the ends too I guess.

Blow drying your hair upside down gives the roots a bit of a lift as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll definitely look up that Tresemmé powder and the next time I'm getting a trim I'll see about some more strategically placed layers!

Are there any shampoos or conditioners that would be worth trying? I've heard good things about the Lush Big shampoo but it's nearly €15 and I don't really have that kind of budget for shampoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

The thing about big shampoos is that they will volumise your hair throughout. You definitely need to get some shorter layers cut into your hair. When my layers get too long or my hair is too heavy, my hair does the same as yours and is super flat at the top, and full of the curls then after!

I blowdry my hair upside down - just throw your head upside down and blast it with the hair dryer, no diffuser. Also, don't put too much product in your hair as it really weighs it down - I like the Umberto Giannini curl range, or just a bit of conditioner. The more product you have in your hair, the heavier the ends are and you're not giving your hair a chance to come alive :)

I also sometimes just brush the roots of my hair, without brusing past the temples area - it gives it a bit of volume, as curly hair can often be 'stringy', and just brushing the roots while blowdrying it gives it that lift.

Mmm yeah it does seem that I need a new haircut as there so much weight in the ends. Does anyone know of a decent hairdresser in Dublin who can cut curly hair? Preferably one who doesn't charge a small fortune :)

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll have a look at the Umberto Giannini Curl range to try to find something lighter as the Frizz Ease can be a little heavy sometimes.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Mmm yeah it does seem that I need a new haircut as there so much weight in the ends. Does anyone know of a decent hairdresser in Dublin who can cut curly hair? Preferably one who doesn't charge a small fortune :)

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll have a look at the Umberto Giannini Curl range to try to find something lighter as the Frizz Ease can be a little heavy sometimes.

I find it really hard to find a good place - loads of kudos for the Natural Cut on Wicklow St., but I prefer a wet cut than dry. I've been to a few places and it's hard to come by a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Beating the 'triangle head' is a constant battle for me. I'd normally have needed a trim every 5 weeks or so, just to control that.

I'm testing a new hairdresser. Basically she thinks thinning out the hair just causes the 'triangle' effect to grow back more quickly. So instead, she actually cut out some individual curls/locks at the root, from underneath, which allows the curls above to sit better. I was skeptical, but desperation meant I'll give anything a go :o

Have to say - 7 weeks later, and so far so good, and by now I'd normally be struggling to style it daily.

As to products, since I can't get the Naked mousse anymore, I've gone back, again, to Aveda curl styling cream - it's expensive, but gives me the best result, without a sticky or crunchy feeling.

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I find it really hard to find a good place - loads of kudos for the Natural Cut on Wicklow St., but I prefer a wet cut than dry. I've been to a few places and it's hard to come by a good one!

I might give them a go, thank you!
    juke wrote: »
    Beating the 'triangle head' is a constant battle for me. I'd normally have needed a trim every 5 weeks or so, just to control that.

I'm testing a new hairdresser. Basically she thinks thinning out the hair just causes the 'triangle' effect to grow back more quickly. So instead, she actually cut out some individual curls/locks at the root, from underneath, which allows the curls above to sit better. I was skeptical, but desperation meant I'll give anything a go :o

Have to say - 7 weeks later, and so far so good, and by now I'd normally be struggling to style it daily.

As to products, since I can't get the Naked mousse anymore, I've gone back, again, to Aveda curl styling cream - it's expensive, but gives me the best result, without a sticky or crunchy feeling.

Seven weeks from a haircut sounds pretty good to me! I've long stopped asking for my hair to be thinned out, it just ends up a mess.

If that hairdresser works out, would you mind PMing me their name/number if they're based in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Will do - I'll give it another 3-4 weeks and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Same here juke - I find it impossible to style my hair at around the 7-week mark! I'd really appreciate details of your hairdresser, too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Following recommendations on another Curly Hair thread on Boards, I went to Natural Cut a few months back. Can't recommend them highly enough.

My hair had gotten very flat before I went there, and there was no shape to it. Loved the way they cut your hair dry as I could see straight away the extra volume that came from the loads of layers they gave me.

Also I got a cut and colour/highlights for €100, which was way cheaper than my previous hairdresser.

Looks like Natural Cuts may be the place to go. I better start saving!

Thank you all for the tips and recommendations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Looks like Natural Cuts may be the place to go. I better start saving!

Thank you all for the tips and recommendations :)

I go there all the time. I tried to mix it up a few months ago and went to a top salon in the city. It was fine for a week or two but straight away I could tell it wasn't growing back so well. Anyway, back to Natural Cut to tidy it up.

They are excellent. And cutting it dry means they see exactly the way it's going to sit when you get home and wash it yourself. no surprises.

What's the name of the hairdresser you've been trialling?

I've tried the Aveda products and they are really great. However, when I went sulphate and silicone free about 2 years ago I've not been 'able' to buy them.

Although I'm close to breaking point at this stage because none of the 'natural' products are giving the curls the same bounce. I've also discovered that my hair doesn't like protein and it's difficult to get hair products (either natural or synthetic) without protein.

Curly hair really is a nightmare sometimes! It's so difficult to get it right. I find I get it right one week, and the next when I use the exact same method & products it goes horribly, horribly wrong!
    juke wrote: »

Okay, I've booked an appointment in Natural Cuts for two weeks' time. Really hope it'll be worth the money :pac:

Here's hoping it'll help put some bounce back in my curls :)

Just thought I'd post an update! I went to Shane today in The Natural Cut and I'm very pleased! He took a good two inches off the length and shaped it in such a way that it looks exactly how curly hair ought to look, and not a triangle! It has far more movement and I can see myself being better able to manage it too.

The salon is really quirky and I wasn't charged a bomb either. He also recommended me the Boots Curl Creme, for the grand old price of €1.99 a tub. I love when I'm not being bombarded with expensive products :o

Thank you for the recommendations ladies :)

Ooh interesting! I've never gone to Shane, always Oliver.

It'd be too awkward to change now but glad you're happy with the outcome. No stress, no loud music, no super-cool-up-to-the-minute-fashionistas bombarding you with wonder products.

What a refreshing change, eh?!
    Just thought I'd post an update! I went to Shane today in The Natural Cut and I'm very pleased! He took a good two inches off the length and shaped it in such a way that it looks exactly how curly hair ought to look, and not a triangle! It has far more movement and I can see myself being better able to manage it too.

The salon is really quirky and I wasn't charged a bomb either. He also recommended me the Boots Curl Creme, for the grand old price of €1.99 a tub. I love when I'm not being bombarded with expensive products :o

Thank you for the recommendations ladies :)

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Ooh interesting! I've never gone to Shane, always Oliver.

It'd be too awkward to change now but glad you're happy with the outcome. No stress, no loud music, no super-cool-up-to-the-minute-fashionistas bombarding you with wonder products.

What a refreshing change, eh?!

It really makes a difference, doesn't it? I hope I can afford to keep going there, because the experience makes it worth the money. And getting a real curly haircut is worth its weight in gold :)

It really makes a difference, doesn't it? I hope I can afford to keep going there, because the experience makes it worth the money. And getting a real curly haircut is worth its weight in gold :)

It really is. Straight-haired people don't understand how daunting it is for curly-haired people to go to the hairdressers.

I tried Dylan Bradshaw a few months ago and it cost me e95! Paying e60 for a cut I'm happy with in Natural Cut seems like a pittance in comparison.

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    It really is. Straight-haired people don't understand how daunting it is for curly-haired people to go to the hairdressers.

I tried Dylan Bradshaw a few months ago and it cost me e95! Paying e60 for a cut I'm happy with in Natural Cut seems like a pittance in comparison.

€95 for a cut? Christ. I was only charged €45 today and it felt like a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

He also recommended me the Boots Curl Creme, for the grand old price of €1.99 a tub. I love when I'm not being bombarded with expensive products :o

I bought this having read about it here. To be fair, I got my hair cut yesterday and I used it today so I'm not entirely sure what my hair would look like at this length without using it. (It's been awhile since my hair has been the length it is now.) It's great though. Beautiful curls and no frizz. None of that horrible crunchiness either, and you only need to use a tiny bit.

I actually didn't like the curl creme from Boots - I found it made my hair really greasy. I use the Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Scrunching Jelly and it's brilliant - leaves my hair soft and lightweight. It's €8 for the big bottle but usually lasts me a month or so.

I bought this having read about it here. To be fair, I got my hair cut yesterday and I used it today so I'm not entirely sure what my hair would look like at this length without using it. (It's been awhile since my hair has been the length it is now.) It's great though. Beautiful curls and no frizz. None of that horrible crunchiness either, and you only need to use a tiny bit.

Yeah I really like it, it really defines my curls and gives some hold. If you don't use too much it's great stuff.

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I actually didn't like the curl creme from Boots - I found it made my hair really greasy. I use the Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Scrunching Jelly and it's brilliant - leaves my hair soft and lightweight. It's €8 for the big bottle but usually lasts me a month or so.

Yeah I think it can be a bit heavy but I'm only using small amounts and none near my hairline or fringe. I saw the jelly in Boots actually, I might try it out as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Has anyone gotten colour or highlights done in Natural Cut? If so, would you recommend them?

Advertisement