Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A4 standard?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

What type of average speed should you be able to do by yourself in order to take part in A4 races/TIts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

lennymc wrote: »

Would averaging 30km count in a training group or consistently on your own?

they reckon that averaging 30 kph on a rolling spin for an hour or two should be sufficient to see you stay with an A4 group. I dont know how 'they' are tho :) Average race pace for an A4 race is about 38-40 kph but thats in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Almost impossible to say - depends completely on the terrain you are riding I would have thought! I usually average about 26-27kms per hour (approx 400mts per hour climbing) when on my own and can hang on (just!) in an A4 bunch! It's more about being able to adjust to frequent changes in pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Thanks folks. It probably has a lot to do with the surges in speeds and on climbs alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Average speed on a difficult course would be 34-37 and reasonably flat would be 37-39, I've rarely seen an A4 go over 40.

Its all about the hills and surges though and sometimes the average does not tell the full story. There are lulls where the average can drop to 25 and then its balls out at 50 all depending on what is happening in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

In a race you should find that you can sustain a harder effort for longer than on a solo spin. If not, keep trying. I've spent a few races last year blasting off the front and also sitting on the front dragging others in a bid to improve my stamina. It does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What was Aqua Blue today? I would be very surprised if that was over 34km/h seeming very few finished the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Jazzer Wherity A4 on the Swords GP Circuit was 37.3 today fwiw

http://app.strava.com/segments/swords-gp-lap-661862

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Amprodude wrote: »
    What was Aqua Blue today? I would be very surprised if that was over 34km/h seeming very few finished the race.

From what I can see, 34 would of seen you inside the top 20 in the A1/2/3 cat.

• Advertisement

I did 31km/h and was dropped but group wasn't too far ahead before I retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

And A4! Albeit 2 laps less.

how many laps less longshanks? :)

the 30 earlier was a rough guide thats been bandied around previously on here. If you are racing with a lot of hills the speed will be lower, but if you were racing on the flat it will be higher.

@the op - go out and do it and see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

lennymc wrote: »
    how many laps less longshanks? :)

the 30 earlier was a rough guide thats been bandied around previously on here. If you are racing with a lot of hills the speed will be lower, but if you were racing on the flat it will be higher.

@the op - go out and do it and see how you get on

2:confused:
    +1 go and try it, it's racing avg speeds don't mean much

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

OP - as others have said, just go out and try it. My first ever race was today in the Jazzer Wherity A4 and what an introduction!

Sitting in the bunch is grand and you will zip along but the real eye opener was the hills!..now I don't mind climbing but the speed at which the hills are tackled caught me out, that and the surge of riders wanting to be at the front for the climb.

But overall I loved every minute of it, from getting dropped the first time up the Nags Head, to a solo chase to get back on (failed !!) and then sitting up to wait on a group so we could work together (not everyone will!!) to try and chase again.

I had all the questions most people start threads on regarding starting racing flying around my head and just decided to go out and do it. You won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Very well said Calistro. That sounds exciting. Probably the best thing to do is to give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Seems to me that A4 races usually start quite fast and then calm down a bit once people realise the level of difficulty in a circuit. Tackling the hills at race pace is certainly one thing to work on, also getting through the first few kms when the speed can be high is another. I think a decent warm-up helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Group not too far ahead, dropped and retired. Com'on lads this happens, you've got to get the wheel back. Grit the teeth, bite the handle bars. Catch back on to that wheel, even if its 15-20 seconds, balls out! That's the stuff that'll make you a better racer with more stamina! Its not over, until the fat A4 sings!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Koobcam wrote: »
    Seems to me that A4 races usually start quite fast and then calm down a bit once people realise the level of difficulty in a circuit. Tackling the hills at race pace is certainly one thing to work on, also getting through the first few kms when the speed can be high is another. I think a decent warm-up helps a lot.

Good points here.:

Firstly always start at or near the front, that will make it easier to stay on if the pace is mental at the start, rather than being under pressure having to chase on from the off.

It's important to have done a warmup of some sort so you can deal with the early pace. 5km odd easy paced with some short sprints would be a minimum.

Skys warmup is here as a guide and takes about 20 mins for reference.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Good points here.:

Firstly always start at or near the front, that will make it easier to stay on if the pace is mental at the start, rather than being under pressure having to chase on from the off.

It's important to have done a warmup of some sort so you can deal with the early pace. 5km odd easy paced with some short sprints would be a minimum.

Skys warmup is here as a guide and takes about 20 mins for reference.

Good advice here. Staying near top of group always helps i do find when i am there.

good warmup essential too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

If you've got a power meter, go out and race with it on.
    Afterwards, look at the data. Do intervals based on the power.

Also look on Strava for people in your Cycling Club who have uploaded race rides. Try out the course.

Advertisement