Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So A&F has finally opened the Dublin store ....

Options
  • 02-11-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

..... verdict? The prices seem a little better than the UK store anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think it will do very well with international visitors. They only have a few stores in Europe, as in just in capital cities.

I would have personally thought their "look" was a bit dead here, but Hollister has been hugely popular and they do similar kind of stuff to Superdry that's big here (hoodies, body warmers etc).

Not in a rush to visit myself, the smell alone is off-putting!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I went to one in America and thought it was a bit silly, it was so dark in there you could barely even see the clothes! It was like trying to buy clothes in a nightclub. They seemed very overpriced too. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yeah Hollister has been ridiculously popular - it still has queues out the door some days! I haven't been to A&F yet, I'll give it a while before I venture in - I like their basics - jeans, tank tops, etc. The smell and loud music though is very off-putting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I like their vest tops and long sleeve tees. I'm wearing a long sleeve navy one I got in the US last year, it's so warm for crisp days like today. I like the look of their jeans but don't own any.

I never pay full price though, I always raid the sales rails or only buy during Thanksgiving sales, Labour Day etc :pac:

So I won't be in a rush to visit, maybe in the New Year for the markdowns :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Showing my age but my first visit to A&F was in Chicago in 1994! Hadn't heard of the brand then but fell in love with it and got loads of stuff there everytime I went back. I never really thought the prices were that prohibitive over there. The main thing is their gear lasts for years and is so durable.

I will definitely avoid the Dublin branch for at least a month or so to let the novelty factor crowds wear off. I cannot understand how their marketing spiel pitches it at 18-22 year olds. Surely, that is an extremely narrow demographic range? A&F have plenty of options for people much older than that. It's not like Topman which definitely is more youth oriented. I wouldn't be a fan of the clothing that has the A&F logo sprawled all over the front but a lot of their more subtle tops/jeans etc look great and would be suitable for a far wider age demographic.

A great addition to Dublin for jobs and the cosmopolitan edge it gives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

ongarboy wrote: »
    Showing my age but my first visit to A&F was in Chicago in 1994! Hadn't heard of the brand then but fell in love with it and got loads of stuff there everytime I went back. I never really thought the prices were that prohibitive over there. The main thing is their gear lasts for years and is so durable.

I will definitely avoid the Dublin branch for at least a month or so to let the novelty factor crowds wear off. I cannot understand how their marketing spiel pitches it at 18-22 year olds. Surely, that is an extremely narrow demographic range? A&F have plenty of options for people much older than that. It's not like Topman which definitely is more youth oriented. I wouldn't be a fan of the clothing that has the A&F logo sprawled all over the front but a lot of their more subtle tops/jeans etc look great and would be suitable for a far wider age demographic.

A great addition to Dublin for jobs and the cosmopolitan edge it gives.

Totally agree. They're really confining themselves by targeting such a small segment of the market.

I popped into the store on Friday for a quick browse. More so out of curiosity and to kill time as at the age of 30 I felt I was way past buying clothes in the store.

But I was really surprised at how nice some of the clothes were. Again, I wouldn't go near any of the stuff that's emblazoned with the A&F logo but some of their more subtle stuff was really nice.

It is expensive but you get what you pay for i.e. it's also good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

do they have an Irish website or just the store? I;d like to have a look but rarely get the chance to head to city centre.

I wish American Eagle would open here - im addicted to their website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

The only thing I have ever bought from them (in the states) is a few winter hoodies that I trow on if I'm lounging around the house. Nice and cosy jumpers but same quality and style could easily be bought in a different store for half the price.

Personally I think there style of clothes are very basic and boring and way over priced.

It's all about the brand name imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I wish American Eagle would open here - im addicted to their website!

I totally agree with you, I have a lot of their clothes but the shipping prices are so high that I really need to buy a lot before I will buy at all....or else its just not worth the cost of the shipping !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

They have nice clothes but the smell in the store just makes me want to gag and why o why is the shop so dark. Like another poster said its like shopping in a nite club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

are the prices ridiculous in there?

*afraid to go in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I had a wander around in there on Monday. Some of the more subtle clothes are quite nice, and I like the sweatpants and hoodies, but I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on clothes I'd only wear around the house. That being said, they are good quality and very comfortable.

Shopping there is impossible though; I kept getting lost because it was so dark! The smell is overpowering too. Also, I don't think the Irish market will be accustomed to such perky, friendly staff. I know that they have to do it, and it is nice in a way, but it's pretty disconcerting when five of them say goodbye when you're leaving :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I wandered in there today for the first time but bought nothing as it was all far too expensive. Took about 15 minutes for the taste of the perfume sh*te the place reeks of to disappear from my mouth...

Advertisement