Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing RTE on MW. Advice needed.

Options
  • 01-10-2014 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Mods please move this if its not in the right thread, thanks.
    can anyone recommend a good stereo/radio/whatever for my mam to pick up both BBC Radio 4 and RTE 1 here in Tipperary. her current Radio is 35 ears old and doesn't pick up RTE 1 clearly on the FM. RTE 1 are leaving MW on 26th October. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

If she wants to hear mass on RTE on sunday mornings, she will have to listen on digital television or online. These radios are great for Fm and R4lw http://www.did.ie/roberts-3-band-radio-r9927-prd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If she wants to hear mass on RTE on sunday mornings, she will have to listen on digital television or online. These radios are great for Fm and R4lw http://www.did.ie/roberts-3-band-radio-r9927-prd

Thanks all the same but she has digital TV in the living room but not in the kitchen where se listens to most radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

I'd say another forum might be more suitable possibly but I'll admit I can't figure out which forum that would be :P

For now I'll simply leave it here; if any user has an idea for a more suitable forum simply report the first post with the suggested forum and I'll take a look.

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you have a look at argos online you can see what radios there are and theres reviews for each.
    Possibly a straight forward analogue radio with a dial would be the handiest if she only ever listens to the one channel.

if you have a look at argos online you can see what radios there are and theres reviews for each.
    Possibly a straight forward analogue radio with a dial would be the handiest if she only ever listens to the one channel.

See the problem is she wants to listen to BBC Radio 4 and RTE1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    See the problem is she wants to listen to BBC Radio 4 and RTE1

I have already posted the perfect radio for her in post no 2. My point was that mass services will no longer be any kind of normal radio from october 27th.

I have already posted the perfect radio for her in post no 2. My point was that mass services will no longer be any kind of normal radio from october 27th.

Thanks for your tip regarding the Roberts radio. listening to mass was never an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Thanks for your tip regarding the Roberts radio. listening to mass was never an issue.[/QUOT

Let us know how you get on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

had to check this wasnt a zombie thread, but didnt MW go off air a few years back? maybe she means LW.

anyway, a lot of parishes have their weekly mass broadcasting at the higher end of the FM dial on low power so it only covers the local area, this may be a solution in her area and she can ask the PP about it.

alternatively she can do it through churchservices.tv

had to check this wasnt a zombie thread, but didnt MW go off air a few years back? maybe she means LW.

anyway, a lot of parishes have their weekly mass broadcasting at the higher end of the FM dial on low power so it only covers the local area, this may be a solution in her area and she can ask the PP about it.

alternatively she can do it through churchservices.tv

I don't know how anybody got the idea that my mother wants to listen to mass on the radio! Thanks all the same. She wants to listen to RTE1 and BBC Radio 4 on the same radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I don't know how anybody got the idea that my mother wants to listen to mass on the radio! Thanks all the same. She wants to listen to RTE1 and BBC Radio 4 on the same radio.

If you get a radio with FM and medium wave..She can still listen to BBC Radio 4 on medium wave..and RTE on FM.A new radio should have no problem with FM,but it depends where in Tipperary you are.The radio suggested a couple of posts back would do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Don't you mean LW and not MW. I know that Radio 4 does broadcast on some medium wave frequencies but wouldn't 198 kHz on LW be the best bet. Just pointing this out as some radios would have FM and MW only. Get one with FM and LW.

Quock question. Does the current radio pick up Radio 4 well at present. You said that FM is poor. If Radio 4 is fine get a couple of feet of cable, expose the last inch and wrap it around the antenna/aerial. Extend the cable and see if it makes an improvement. She might be able to stick with the radio that she is used to

WHL wrote: »
    Don't you mean LW and not MW. I know that Radio 4 does broadcast on some medium wave frequencies but wouldn't 198 kHz on LW be the best bet. Just pointing this out as some radios would have FM and MW only. Get one with FM and LW.

Quock question. Does the current radio pick up Radio 4 well at present. You said that FM is poor. If Radio 4 is fine get a couple of feet of cable, expose the last inch and wrap it around the antenna/aerial. Extend the cable and see if it makes an improvement. She might be able to stick with the radio that she is used to

Thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

WHL wrote: »
    <snip>
    actually..... does the mother actually have the aerial extended in the first place?

Its amazing how many folks either think the FM aerial is needed for LW/MW or conversely dont think the FM aerial being extended is even possible, or is even there as it was never needed in the days of MW Rte 1.

Advertisement