Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Staff training on pronounciation

• 17-02-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

What training do RTE give its staff regarding pronounciation?

The debt has occurred of Shirley Temple.
    Ireland's owes tirty tree million euros.
    Dis is not good enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

None probably, most people don't care that much, people have different accents and pronunciations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The inability of many RTE presenters to pronounce the "Th" sound drive me crazy. There are plenty of people in the country who can speak properly, what can't RTE employ some of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Enunciate, peepil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The inability of many RTE presenters to pronounce the "Th" sound drive me crazy. There are plenty of people in the country who can speak properly, what can't RTE employ some of them?

It makes my blood boil.

I forgot: 'He scored a great pint wit de hurley'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What makes me laugh is when some English person comes on and mispronounces an Irish place name (eg 'Louth', which they pronounce in a way that's correct for the English town but incorrect for the Irish county), and then everyone in Ireland obediently starts mispronouncing it the same way. Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Doon Leera and Port Leesha annoy me

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I hope you don't say "pronounciation" the way you spell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The inability of many RTE presenters to pronounce the "Th" sound drives me crazy. There are plenty of people in the country who can speak properly, what can't RTE employ some of them?

*WHY

People in glass houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Nobody in this country - outside the North - prounounces the th. Not even Dublin 4.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I hope you don't say "pronounciation" the way you spell it.

I stand corrected.

On a slightly different topic. This notion of 'uptalk' (as I think it is called). This is the habit of some people, maybe a lot of people, who give a rising intonation to the ending of a sentence. Typically American and perhaps originating in Australia I have always assumed it was a young person's thing. A teenage thing.

My oh my how endemic it is. Even Miriam O'Callaghan indulges. Why do some people revert to this. She is not an impressionable young thing.

Worst of both worlds is someone with a 'th' issue using uptalk.

• Advertisement

But enunciation is crap here. Ireland used to teach it in schools but probably that became too PC. Looking back at old RTE footage they did enunciate very carefully in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The training that they seem to get is all about irrelevancies:

Pronouncing the "R" of RTE strangely "Arrrrr! TE"

Ensuring they pronounce Portlaoise and Dún Laoghaire in a way nobody from either of those places pronounces them.

Calling a "kilometer" a ki·lo·me·ter instead of a 'kilom·iter'

Not recognising Dingle.

Making sure to take the G out of Aer Lingus (technically correct, but nobody says it, including the company itself)

Mispronouncing Westminster as "West Minister" - the whole thing is normally run together.

Sports people talking about "DeRby" instead of "Darby"

Chicago becoming "ChicaRgo" whatever that's all about!

That kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Portlaoisa

I was once told that RTE used to have a Speech Standards department, known to staff as "the SS" - where presenters would be called in if they slipped up.

How true or not, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

soc160 wrote: »
    None probably, most people don't care that much, people have different accents and pronunciations.

As long as the person speaks clearly, different accents are fine. Different pronunciations aren't. With a public service broadcaster, pronunciation shouldn't be a matter of personal preference. I mean, newspapers don't give journalists the freedom to spell words in whichever way they see fit. They all have their own 'house style'. RTE should have one too.
    Nobody in this country - outside the North - prounounces the th. Not even Dublin 4.

That's not true at all. Irish people might not pronounce it as strongly as people in certain parts of the UK (where it almost sounds like an 'f'), but a lot of people here pronounce it correctly.

Karsini wrote: »
    I was once told that RTE used to have a Speech Standards department, known to staff as "the SS" - where presenters would be called in if they slipped up.

How true or not, I don't know.

I bet they did. Look at footage pre 1970 and the speech is very careful. Still an Irish accent but careful, slow and enunciated. I'd bring that back for anybody who has to make announcements including iarnrod Eireann.

RayM wrote: »
    As long as the person speaks clearly, different accents are fine. Different pronunciations aren't. With a public service broadcaster, pronunciation shouldn't be a matter of personal preference. I mean, newspapers don't give journalists the freedom to spell words in whichever way they see fit. They all have their own 'house style'. RTE should have one too.

That's not true at all. Irish people might not pronounce it as strongly as people in certain parts of the UK (where it almost sounds like an 'f'), but a lot of people here pronounce it correctly.

I think as long as it's clear, when it comes to speech it's not like spelling. Accents vary a lot.

Where something's a total mispronunciation it shouldn't be let slip though.

"Comm-iT-TEEEEEEE" being one.

and "Sah-ur-day"

Stilted RP-style presentation is gone out with the dinosaurs though.

There are also a large number of Irish newscasters who can't pronounce NEWS!

It's not Nooze!

But enunciation is crap here. Ireland used to teach it in schools but probably that became too PC. Looking back at old RTE footage they did enunciate very carefully in the early days.

Yes. How clearly does the great Michael Murphy read the news on RTE. He is only on at the weekend but how professional he is. There are some 'newscasters' who you would think were dragged in from the street five minutes ago to read the news without any idea of what it means to pronoune words properly.

When you listen to BBC Radio 4 or the World Service , the chasm in class and clarity is very deep.

RayM wrote: »

I've lived in England, was schooled here and there and I can tell you that vast majority of people I meet here, from whatever social class, except northerners don't pronounce it. The th in Bath is prounced so it's not like it's an impossibility of the tongue ( like how the Chinese can't really pronounce an l). It's learned. Sometimes there is a vague glottal stop , I t'ink but mostly it's I tink.

The other form is a D, which seems to English ears to be used by most Americans too: Derefore I tink.

The working class East Coast of America and some American black accents do that too, dey be hatin I be rollin, but not the th to t. Which sounds worse. I tink.

I've lived in England, was schooled here and there and I can tell you that vast majority of people I meet here, from whatever social class, except northerners don't pronounce it. The th in Bath is prounced so it's not like it's an impossibility of the tongue ( like how the Chinese can't really pronounce an l). It's learned. Sometimes there is a vague glottal stop , I t'ink but mostly it's I tink.

The other form is a D, which seems to English ears to be used by most Americans too: Derefore I tink.

The working class East Coast of America and some American black accents do that too, dey be hatin I be rollin, but not the th to t. Which sounds worse. I tink.

What is the situation with Jonathon Ross (and I think Jools Holland and some others that I can't think of at the moment) with Rs? I never see that in Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ross has a speech impediment. I have heard Irish people with a similar impediment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

RTÉ should actually be pronounced like R-T-A because that's how to pronounce é.

Or alternatively you could call it R-T-E-fada :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes. How clearly does the great Michael Murphy read the news on RTE. He is only on at the weekend but how professional he is.

Have a look at RTE News Now when Michael Murphy is reading for a radio show. His gesticulations are sometimes quite pronounced! :D

Superb newsreader, though.

The Doon Leera and Port Leesha annoy me

Both are correct. Dún Laoghaire has three optional pronunciations: dunleary, dhoon layra and dhoon leerah. Portlaoise is correctly pronounced with the final 'e' sounded, though it became fashionable to drop the 'e' so it rhymes with Laois in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

SeantheMan wrote: »
    *WHY

People in glass houses

Oh no! I made a typo late at night on an iPad. I must be illiterate!

Oh no! I made a typo late at night on an iPad. I must be illiterate!

You're an illegible bachelor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

They run a fillum course in Stockhollum that Joe Duffy went to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think as long as it's clear, when it comes to speech it's not like spelling. Accents vary a lot.

Where something's a total mispronunciation it shouldn't be let slip though.

"Comm-iT-TEEEEEEE" being one.

and "Sah-ur-day"

Stilted RP-style presentation is gone out with the dinosaurs though.

There are also a large number of Irish newscasters who can't pronounce NEWS!

It's not Nooze!

"Is gone out"??

I'm far more worried about Irish spelling and grammar than pronunciation, although many of their most heinous affectations result from speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

They should definitely get Matt Cooper in (I know he is not RTE), so he could talk better about Radiahors on Sahurdays.

• Advertisement

"Is gone to"??

I'm far more worried about Irish spelling and grammar than pronunciation, although many of their most heinous affectations result from speech.

Their? You're not Irish?

True, Irish education is now pretty useless in teaching grammar and spelling. Every school should have http://grammar-monster.com on every computer, and no child should leave primary school unable to spell "its".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why can't they say 'finance' properly?

(first one to say it's 'fin-ance' gets a box in the ear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Don Cockburn was yer only man for the pronunciationing and elocuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

While some of the pronunciations make me smile, I get really wound up about the "EMMM" "ERRRR" and AHH" brigade. Some of the professional speakers can't put a sentence together without at least three of them in there. "Now ah over em to ah Mike eeeh in em Cork ah with the em flood report."

I can understand ordinary people being interviewed doing it but these people are paid huge salaries to present programmes professionally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Have a look at RTE News Now when Michael Murphy is reading for a radio show. His gesticulations are sometimes quite pronounced! :D

Superb newsreader, though.

Pretty common practise, that... Many newsreaders - myself included - move their arms around a lot while reading. It can ... help. :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why can't they say 'finance' properly?

(first one to say it's 'fin-ance' gets a box in the ear!)

FIEnance and fihNANCE are optional pronunciations. I grew up with fihNANCE and am sticking with it. I'm so sorry if this offends you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Dis is not good enough.

I'd hate for public license payer's money to be spent on irrelevant sh*te like this.

People have different accents in this country. Embrace it instead of moaning for the sake of moaning. It would be boring if we all spoke the same.

I'd hate for public license payer's money to be spent on irrelevant sh*te like this.

People have different accents in this country. Embrace it instead of moaning for the sake of moaning. It would be boring if we all spoke the same.

But Nut, it's not a question of accents. I *love* accents, and get great pleasure out of the accents of my friends from Galway, Finglas, Dalkey, Crumlin, Kerry, Derry and Mayo. But they all pronounce words correctly, and don't say renumerate when they mean remunerate, and nucular when they mean nuclear, and nuptual when they mean nuptial. There's a difference between speaking with a pleasant local accent and mispronouncing.

(I'd have to say that I don't particularly mind the dis-dat-dese-dose pronunciation; I'd see that as an accent rather than a mispronunciation.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Are T E

6781 wrote: »
    Are T E

Correct. Ore T E incorrect.

Or if you want to be super-Gaelach, err tay ae!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

6781 wrote: »
    Are T E

Jacqui Hurley says that the whole time. She sounds like a pirate.

"Welcome to Arrrrrrr TE Sport, (me hearties)"

• Advertisement

In England there is a degree of consensus on what constitutes best pronunciation, and that is often referred to as "Received Pronunciation" or "RP". It's a language of the educated middle class, and does not have strong regional markers.

We don't speak of Irish RP, but there is one. It has a good deal in common with English RP, but is not identical. For a start, it is generically Irish, albeit not easily tagged as associated with any region within Ireland. To my mind, the use of Irish RP should be preferred in professional broadcasters on a national station, especially in those areas where authority is involved. That applies particularly in newscasting (and while we are at it, it should also be a requirement that the newsroom be staffed with journalists who know the basics of grammar).

I could make a list of broadcasters whose accent is Irish RP, or fairly close to it.

[Our pronunciation of D and T sounds is somewhat influenced by the Irish language. It's tricky to trace through, and not entirely consistent because there are probably other factors at play.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Don't know if its overcompensation for the th issues, but the letter T itself seems to be phasing out, as in "traffic is heavy in the Cidy this morning" or "join us at eight twenny this morning........." Have heard this described as the Disney effect??

My pet hate is the random jumbling of vowels among some - a is now o (car/ cor), I is now o (million/ mollion), o is e (oven/evan) and u is e (mustard/ mestard). E has been left alone.

In England there is a degree of consensus on what constitutes best pronunciation, and that is often referred to as "Received Pronunciation" or "RP". It's a language of the educated middle class, and does not have strong regional markers.

We don't speak of Irish RP, but there is one. It has a good deal in common with English RP, but is not identical. For a start, it is generically Irish, albeit not easily tagged as associated with any region within Ireland. To my mind, the use of Irish RP should be preferred in professional broadcasters on a national station, especially in those areas where authority is involved. That applies particularly in newscasting (and while we are at it, it should also be a requirement that the newsroom be staffed with journalists who know the basics of grammar).

I could make a list of broadcasters whose accent is Irish RP, or fairly close to it.

[Our pronunciation of D and T sounds is somewhat influenced by the Irish language. It's tricky to trace through, and not entirely consistent because there are probably other factors at play.]

Yup. RP replaced regional accents in England (/Britain) in the 18th century when the sons of the landed class were typically sent to schools around Oxford; they grew up with that regional accent instead of their own. You can kind of see it in Tom Jones, where old Squire Western has a rural accent but the next generation don't have it.

In Ireland, the equivalent accent comes originally from a series of 19th- and 20th-century boarding schools, and became normalised when all the kids started going to university. A pity; I love a strong west Cork or Leitrim or Cyavan accent. Though it's how I speak myself; have been much mocked for my 'classy' accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

There are no speech standards in RTE and it shows.

I don't mind a person's accent. However, I want people to speak clearly so that I can hear what they're saying!

I consider Miriam O'Callaghan a poor speaker - and interviewer. Ryan Tubridy is no great shakes either.

If you want to hear wonderfully crisp clear and easy to listen to speech listen to Gay Byrne on Lyric FM on Sunday afternoons.

He's in a class of his own - and there's nobody coming after him. Every word is so clearly and beautifully spoken it's a pleasure to listen to.

As this is a Radio forum all you presenters and would be presenters should listen to Uncle Gaybo and hear how REAL radio is put together and presented.

Learn from the master - while he's still around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

2FM news over the weekend - newsreader is talking about the stormy weather here and then goes on to talk about the weather in the UK........."across the pond"

Journalistic standards? No standards more likely :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Dis is not good enough.

Bring back Don Cockburn :)

pauldla wrote: »
    Don Cockburn was yer only man for the pronunciationing and elocuting.

As a child I found him scary :eek:

bureau2009 wrote: »
    2FM news over the weekend - newsreader is talking about the stormy weather here and then goes on to talk about the weather in the UK........."across the pond"

Journalistic standards? No standards more likely :eek:

Yeah but 2fm is 'hip and trendy'...isn't it ? :rolleyes:

Absoluvely wrote: »
    RTÉ should actually be pronounced like R-T-A because that's how to pronounce é.

Or alternatively you could call it R-T-E-fada :)

Actually, in most languages that use accents on letters, you don't include them in acronyms.
    Certainly not normal in French for example.

The logic being that they're there for pronunciation help only.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Actually, in most languages that use accents on letters, you don't include them in acronyms.
    Certainly not normal in French for example.

The logic being that they're there for pronunciation help only.
    RTÉ is not an acronym; it's an initialism. An acronym can be spoken as a single word.

It's not usual in French to place accents on capital letters. It is usual in Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement