Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too old to be a solicitor?

• 30-10-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm a 33 year old law graduate, working in the civil service the last few years. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether I am too old to get a training contract to be a solicitor? I have yet to pass the FE1s, but I'm just wondering if I'd be wasting my time / money in attempting them, when I may not get a TC owing to the economic conditions and my age.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

I wouldn't discourage anybody wanting to enter the profession but you need to be very informed what you're getting into. It's not a career you just decide overnight you want to do.

There are a lot of considerations. Your age isn't a negative at all (I've come across many older than you enter the profession particularly the Bar) it might be a consideration if you have commitments such as family, mortgage etc bear also in mind it will be realistically another couple years or even 3 years before you enter Blackhall and another 2 years after that before you will be qualified and you will be on pretty ****e money until then.

You have as good a chance (or better considering your work/life experience) as any other younger candidate in getting a TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

No, 33 isn't too old. But you are getting close to the point that you will need to make your move soon. Many people will tell you they know Jonny, Mary or whoever qualified and got a job at 40,50 or 60, but the reality is that they are very much the exception and like it or not most firms don't want an apprentice who is close to getting the bus pass..

Just a small bit of advice, think long and hard before leaving a safe, permanent job in the civil service for an unsecure, uncertain and not necessarily well paid job as a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with McCrack and Dats right. Law is a tough profession - getting harder every year to get the work done while complying with all the regs.

If you are in a job where a cheque comes each month, with possibly a pension, think hard before leaving it.

If you want intellectual stimulation there are numerous courses available.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

trucker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a 33 year old law graduate, working in the civil service the last few years. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether I am too old to get a training contract to be a solicitor? I have yet to pass the FE1s, but I'm just wondering if I'd be wasting my time / money in attempting them, when I may not get a TC owing to the economic conditions and my age.

thanks in advance.

Hi trucker,

No you are not too old to get a TC (there are older people than you looking for them e.g. I am 39:eek:), though it won't be easy. I would focus on getting some legal experience, as while I have half my FE1s (awaiting results from most recent sitting for the rest) and a law degree etc I don't have any legal experience. Apply for the summer internships in the top 10 in 2012 and you can do the internship on your vacation time and it will enchance your CV. The competition for these internships is fierce mind.

I wouldn't waste time, as the sooner you get cracking on the FE1s the better. I would only do them if you really want to be a solicitor, as they are tough and expensive exams (If you do FE1 prep grinds) especially if you are working full time. I see that you are working in the civil servant, could you transfer to the department of justice? That would look good on the CV. The economy is drastic at the moment, but hopefully things will improve.

Good luck:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 trucker

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate the input. It's a very tough decision, and one I've been thinking about for years if I'm honest. But something always got in the way (i.e. the boom where I said I'd focus on earning money for a while, the bust where, well, you know). It's good to know my age shouldn't be a barrier to a training contract, but that I should get cracking asap!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

trucker - thanks for asking this question. After a few false starts due to changes in personal circumstances, bad decisions etc I am to shortly start on my degree. Ok, so I'll be a few years behind you but, at almost 33, it is good to hear the words of encouragement from others!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

trucker - thanks for asking this question. After a few false starts due to changes in personal circumstances, bad decisions etc I am to shortly start on my degree. Ok, so I'll be a few years behind you but, at almost 33, it is good to hear the words of encouragement from others!

I'll be 34 in a few months and I have 3 kids. I sat the FE1s but couldn't get an apprenticeship. I am currently sitting 2 subjects on the Kings Inns diploma course in order to be eligible to sit their entrance exams next summer. I plan on doing the 2 yr modular BL degree so I will be almost 37 graduating as a barrister.
    There are quite a few people over 40/50 doing the diploma course, I would imagine most are going on to the barrister degree.

I would say the same is true at the Law Society. Good luck.

page1 wrote: »
    I'll be 34 in a few months and I have 3 kids. I sat the FE1s but couldn't get an apprenticeship. I am currently sitting 2 subjects on the Kings Inns diploma course in order to be eligible to sit their entrance exams next summer. I plan on doing the 2 yr modular BL degree so I will be almost 37 graduating as a barrister.
    There are quite a few people over 40/50 doing the diploma course, I would imagine most are going on to the barrister degree.

I would say the same is true at the Law Society. Good luck.

page1, do you mind me asking how long you were looking for a training contract? I am 39 with 5 FE1s and so far have been rejected by any firm I have looked at. Mind you they were all top 15 firms, so that might explain it. Would you advise us oldies to go for the bar instead?

To the OP, I would make a decision now. Take a career break and go for it. Don't waste any time. Hopefully the euro won't go bust in the interim!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

colonel1 wrote: »
    page1, do you mind me asking how long you were looking for a training contract? I am 39 with 5 FE1s and so far have been rejected by any firm I have looked at. Mind you they were all top 15 firms, so that might explain it. Would you advise us oldies to go for the bar instead?

To the OP, I would make a decision now. Take a career break and go for it. Don't waste any time. Hopefully the euro won't go bust in the interim!

Hi I was only looking for a year which I know isnt long but the feedback I got from some solicitors put me off wasting any more time at it.
    I applied to the larger ones in Dublin and many more in my home town and surrounding towns. My experience is that the larger ones in Dublin are looking for very good grades. I spoke with a partner in a Top 5 and she told me that they need a 2:1 min to even look further at the CV. I didnt study in Uni and my grades are poor - that ruled out all them out for me. The only course of action to try to proceed further with them was to undertake a Masters and get a very good grade, even then that wouldnt guarantee an interview.
    The smaller firms are not taking on apprentices. I spoke with 4/5 solicitors in my area and they all advised me not to enter the profession. I dont think they are as concerned with grades, im my experience they look more at work experience, which suited me, but unfortunately they are not hiring and are not looking like they will hire for another few years - which I dont have.
    As regards age, I dont think its an issue. I went to an open evening in A&L and there was a good age range in attendance, I think they are more concerned with what you have done with your time.

Re the Bar, becoming a barrister has always been the ultimate goal for me. I wanted to qualify and practise as a solicitor first to gain experience and more importantly contacts. They are two different professions and one or the other may not suit you. I am actually glad that I didnt get an apprenticeship as looking at it now I dont think I would have enjoyed the work of a solicitor. Some have said age is less of an issue at the Bar but I wouldnt use that as a reason to change professions, it has to be something you think you would like, there are big differences between the two.
    HTH.

One bit of advice I got recently, and which I will take with me, is to ignore all the people who say "don't do it"!! (whatever "it" is, like being a barrister, begin a solicitor, climbing mount Everest!!) If you really want it, educate yourself to the advantages and disadvantages, and go for it!

On a similar theme to the FE1s or Kings Inns, has anyone considered the NY bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

One bit of advice I got recently, and which I will take with me, is to ignore all the people who say "don't do it"!! (whatever "it" is, like being a barrister, begin a solicitor, climbing mount Everest!!) If you really want it, educate yourself to the advantages and disadvantages, and go for it!

On a similar theme to the FE1s or Kings Inns, has anyone considered the NY bar?

If you are thinking of the New York bar as a back door back to profession in Ireland, that door has been slammed shut last year you now will require I think 3 years PQE in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sally West

I wouldn't advise anyone to enter the profession. I qualified as a solicitor 25 years ago. I am still practising. Like all of my friends who are solicitors, I regret the day I decided to become a solicitor. But it is a free country of course so do what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sally West wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise anyone to enter the profession. I qualified as a solicitor 25 years ago. I am still practising. Like all of my friends who are solicitors, I regret the day I decided to become a solicitor. But it is a free country of course so do what you want.
    Thats a bit depressing!

You had 25 years to embark on a different direction, but chose not to. Obviously a chage of career is nothing to be sniffed at, but the fact you stuck with it for 25 years, despite the continuing regret, suggests that perhaps it aint all so bad!

OP, many firms are interested in hiring trainees with a previous career/experience, but it depends to a large degree on the nature of the experience. You also need to demonstrate convincingly that you are truly motivated to change career and not just merely drifting/indecisive, which often appears to be the case (especially when solicitors are vetting a cv/appplication form).

I wouldn't advise anyone to enter the profession. I qualified as a solicitor 25 years ago. I am still practising. Like all of my friends who are solicitors, I regret the day I decided to become a solicitor.

Why not Sally West?

You also need to demonstrate convincingly that you are truly motivated to change career and not just merely drifting/indecisive, which often appears to be the case (especially when solicitors are vetting a cv/appplication form).

Ah yes, the same kind of HR people who reject people who haven't legal experience as being less than committed. Despite the fact that some of us have to hold down a day job in order to pay for the FE1s and prep courses etc. They reject people because there is such a glut of candidates looking for work. They are even picky about people who are willing to work for nothing:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the same kind of HR people who reject people who haven't legal experience as being less than committed. Despite the fact that some of us have to hold down a day job in order to pay for the FE1s and prep courses etc. They reject people because there is such a glut of candidates looking for work. They are even picky about people who are willing to work for nothing:rolleyes:
    HR people dont reject you, colonel, senior solicitors review trainee aplications (in any firm who takes such things seriously) and therefore it is senior solicitors who reject you.

Its a tough legal market out there and unfortunately, those without any significant legal experience just dont get a look in these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The dilemma is that you need legal experience to get a training contract, but it's so hard to get a foot in the door these days, especially if that foot needs to be paid!

drkpower wrote: »
    HR people dont reject you, colonel, senior solicitors review trainee aplications (in any firm who takes such things seriously) and therefore it is senior solicitors who reject you.

Its a tough legal market out there and unfortunately, those without any significant legal experience just dont get a look in these days.

Hi again, would you mind defining "significant legal experience" please? I am trying to think of the kind of experience a non qualified person would be doing in a law firm. Do you mean paralegal or a legal secretary or something like that?

Hi again, would you mind defining "significant legal experience" please? I am trying to think of the kind of experience a non qualified person would be doing in a law firm. Do you mean paralegal or a legal secretary or something like that?
    Im not sure if there is a definition necessarily but, yes, both of the above would be helpful, as would internships or, for instance, time spent in the law reform commission, that type of thing. Commercial firms would sbe very intersted in experience in accountancy firms, or funds work, that type of thing. I appreciate that it isnt easy in this climate to get that type of experience but those are the types of experience that might make the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I wouldn't advise anyone to enter the profession. I qualified as a solicitor 25 years ago. I am still practising. Like all of my friends who are solicitors, I regret the day I decided to become a solicitor.

Why not Sally West?

I am qualified 2 years, so do not have the same level if experience of Sally West but I would imagine some of the reasons might be:

The fee income and remuneration not being reflected having regard to things such as the quality of work expected, enormous demands from clients, ever increasing regulatory burdens, pi insurance, traditional practice areas being absolutely decimated, being under constant attack
    by Government, lack of work-life balance, poor prospects, constant fear of being sued by a client,etc, etc.

I am employed in practice and I still have some naive enjoyment about practicing law, but I
    am seeing the reality now. It is an enormously stressful, demanding and thankless job with
    comparatively poor remuneration for most. I can assure you that there are much easier, more
    financially rewarding and not anywhere near as stressful careers out there. To be perfectly
    honest there isn't a day goes by where I don't think to myself if only I was starting out again I
    would have done something entirely different.

I have no doubt that those who do not want to hear this (probably non qualifed or practising) will come back with all sorts of counter arguments to the points I have raised, but one must seriously question why so many qualified and practising lawyers are singing off the same hymn sheet. Yes, we can all convince ourselves that things will be different for us but that is just
    deluding yourself. To be perfectly honest, I would not recommend becoming a solicitor to
    anybody unless they are training in a top 5 firm. Given the OP's age I don't think the prospects of getting into a top 5 firm are promising. Also don't believe too much about the experience from previous career argument. Unless you were something like an actuary or an accountant it will not be considered any way relevant or favourable.

• Advertisement

dats_right wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I would not recommend becoming a solicitor to anybody unless they are training in a top 5 firm. .
    Its funny. If you talk to people in a Top 5 firm, they will tell you that their job is infinitely more stressful, longer hours, most thankless than those in smaller firms. People in Top 5 firms (especially those at your level of qualification) tend to picture the job of a solicitor in a smaller firm to be an idyllic 9-5 lifestyle, with little stress and only a small bit less money.

If you talk to people in career X, they will tell you how their career is the most stressful, longest hours, most thankless etc... They will picture the job of a solicitor as fairly simple fare dressed up as difficult to attract high fees!

People always complain about their lot; it is usualy because they know little different and only know of the working conditions of others through a combination of rumour, anecdote and exaggeration.
    dats_right wrote: »
    Given the OP's age I don't think the prospects of getting into a top 5 firm are promising. Also don't believe too much about the experience from previous career argument. Unless you were something like an actuary or an accountant it will not be considered any way relevant or favourable.

See, this is what happens when you let your own personal experience (and misperceptions) get in the way of evidence. Any good solicitor would try and establish what the evidence is before they give their advice; otherwise they might look a little silly...!

First, Top 5 firms regularly take on 'older' trainees. In my experience (admittedly from just one Top 5 firm), there will usually be 1 or 2 30-somethings (usually early 30s) in every batch of 20-30 new trainees - certainly a disproportionate hit rate given the demographic of applicants >95% in early-mid 20s). In the last number of years, a trainee commenced in his late-30s.

Second, in my firm, amongst the solicitors and partners, there are people with previous (part) careers as engineers, doctors, vets, the army, the insurance industry, consultancy (environmental) firms and many more.

Big US law firms have been doing this for years, and given the breadth of industry that big firms seek to advise, it makes perfect sense.

First, Top 5 firms regularly take on 'older' trainees. In my experience (admittedly from just one Top 5 firm), there will usually be 1 or 2 30-somethings (usually early 30s) in every batch of 20-30 new trainees - certainly a disproportionate hit rate given the demographic of applicants >95% in early-mid 20s). In the last number of years, a trainee commenced in his late-30s.

Second, in my firm, amongst the solicitors and partners, there are people with previous (part) careers as engineers, doctors, vets, the army, the insurance industry, consultancy (environmental) firms and many more.

Big US law firms have been doing this for years, and given the breadth of industry that big firms seek to advise, it makes perfect sense.[/QUOTE]

Hey drkpower that is good news about older trainees. I now have 5 Fe1s and I am doing the rest 1 at a time as it is difficult to get time off work + I haven't got a training contract yet. So I would be 40 before I get one (if I am lucky). Getting time off work to get legal experience is proving to be impossible at the moment, even dropping down to 4 days a week! So, I am going to save up and see if I can get a career break, as I simply can't leave work at the moment (especially in a recession). I am a qualified librarian, so I don't have any accountancy or funds management experience I'm afraid. I did work in a business and law library, though that probably wouldn't count for much!

I plan to apply to all the summer internships as I could take a month off (unpaid) in June July or August [hopefully, though even this is tough]. At the moment the only free time I could offer is a Tuesday morning. Don't think any firm will jump at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

I think that is a valid observation alright, but I do caution against training in the top 5. ( I have and now practice in a smaller practice so can see it from both sides). The Top 5 seem to attract people on the promise that they will be working on high profile, glamorous cases etc. This excites some but your role will be fairly limited and time consuming ( ploughing through boxes of files to locate 1 document etc). If you are happy to be a small part of a big team on a massive case, then that is excellent.
    The alternative is to be the major part of a smaller case ( but still very interesting case) where you are the " go to" guy or girl. I happen to enjoy the stress and get a kick out of a good result in a case. That does not mean that I dont spend nights and nights loking at the ceiling in my bedroom wondering if I did this or that on a particular file. This is a massive generalisation I know and I do apologise, but the perception is that those in the Civil service do not have the same stress. You need to be prepared for it. I do enjoy it though.

33 is not too late either, but as others said here, you might consider going down the Barrister route, where "maturity" might be an advantage. Remember Solicitors brief Councel ( Barristers) on certain complex matters. The Solicitor meets the clients on a day to day basis. When they meet the Counsel together there in an amount of judging done by the client the second the Barrister arrives. The rules are so archaic that the client is wondering why a Barrister has to be hired aat extra expense etc. If you immediately look and act maturely then you are off to a good start. Go down to the Four Courts someday and look at the kids running around in gowns and you will know what I am talking about.
    If you have experience in the Civil Service you might be able to specialise in a alligned field ( i.e if you worked in a Planning dept, you might specialise in planning etc) I believe the qualifications .
    Best of luck and keep the faith!

Thanks The Jaw. Unlike the OP who is 33 and works in the civil service, I am 39 and don't work in the civil service. I have been thinking of going down the barrister route funnily enough, but I would still like to specialise in commercial law, it just makes my heart beat faster:D As mad as it sounds I just fell in love with Thomas Courtney's company law book and that was that:) I don't have a business background though, and the commercial law firms appear to prize a business background, though I have met the odd arts graduate at big firm open evenings!

However, I have five FE1s now and have spent a lot of time and money on them, so I am not quite ready to give up on the old solicitor route tbh. I would also be concerned that it would take quite a number of years before you would earn a living wage as a barrister. Any barristers that I know all have to take on part time work to keep afloat. Plus, I wasn't sure that I would like the advocacy end of things (I know solicitors do court work too of course), being of a somewhat shy disposition.

It is mad that once you hit 30 in this country that the word "maturity" crops up and effectively shoots a second career down in flames!

As mad as it sounds I just fell in love with Thomas Courtney's company law book and that was that:) I don't have a business background though, and the commercial law firms appear to prize a business background, though I have met the odd arts graduate at big firm open evenings!

Oh goodness. Falling in love with company law books. You have got in bad alright!!!

A lot of people say that they are a bit wary of the advocacy thing. ( Apparently public speaking is the biggest fear people have. Even worse than dying. So as the old joke goes, most people would prefer to be in the box at the funeral rather than giving the eulogy!)
    I do think it is a fear/apprehension best faced head on. I do most of my own advocacy these days and can nearly track my improvement in performance since I started. I did not sleep the night before my first case ( which was a minor application for an adjournament), but now I am fine and it gives you a bit of a buzz if you perform well. I have no prior experience in public speaking or acting or anything like that. Besides there are quite a few Barristers who will survive on giving opinions alone and rarely appear in Court. One in particular I know, and who shall remain nameless, lest the Mod kick my a**, gives advice on a specific field alone. He/She is very shy person and rather intellectual, who I know spends no time in Court at all.

Fair point about taking nixers to support the income, but the likes of Griffith College etc use a lot of Barristers for their pre-FE1 courses. That of course might help with the public speaking advocacy issue.

I read the other day that 30 is the new 21, so really you are just a kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Thats a bit depressing!

You had 25 years to embark on a different direction, but chose not to. Obviously a chage of career is nothing to be sniffed at, but the fact you stuck with it for 25 years, despite the continuing regret, suggests that perhaps it aint all so bad!

OP, many firms are interested in hiring trainees with a previous career/experience, but it depends to a large degree on the nature of the experience. You also need to demonstrate convincingly that you are truly motivated to change career and not just merely drifting/indecisive, which often appears to be the case (especially when solicitors are vetting a cv/appplication form).

the reality is life intervenes for most people. It's hard to walk away from any job that pays the bills, particularly if there's no other job that you really want to do. The amount of people I know who did law and who remain solicitors despite not liking the profession all that much is surprisingly high.

I'm one of the many who wonder if there's something else I should be doing, have gone back to an LLM to see if there's another area I'd be happier in.

I'd echo Dat's Rights comments and advice to anyone thinking of entering the profession. However, I fully expect most readers will ignore his well intentioned advice.

I'd echo Dat's Rights comments and advice to anyone thinking of entering the profession. However, I fully expect most readers will ignore his well intentioned advice.

That is wise indeed. You really have to think it through very very well. I do enjoy it but it is tough a lot of the time.

I did dispair when I read another thread on board.ie that is obviously set up by people looking for apprenticeships after their FE 1's. They say stuff like " I was in XXX firm yesterday and they all looked so glam. I really want a job there" or " They brought us for drinks and the office is so cool".

I have no problem with their enthusiasm, but if you are going to pick it as a career, pick it for the right reasons. A lot think it is Ally Mc Beal ( I was going to say LA Law, but that would show my age I think)

[Oh goodness. Falling in love with company law books. You have got in bad alright!!!

:D

I read the other day that 30 is the new 21, so really you are just a kid

Lol, thanks Jaw:)

The Jaw wrote: »
    That is wise indeed. You really have to think it through very very well. I do enjoy it but it is tough a lot of the time.

I did dispair when I read another thread on board.ie that is obviously set up by people looking for apprenticeships after their FE 1's. They say stuff like " I was in XXX firm yesterday and they all looked so glam. I really want a job there" or " They brought us for drinks and the office is so cool".

I have no problem with their enthusiasm, but if you are going to pick it as a career, pick it for the right reasons. A lot think it is Ally Mc Beal ( I was going to say LA Law, but that would show my age I think)

Ahem, the colonel has been dazzled by the bright lights of some of the big firms. The dazzling, alas for the colonel, wasn't mutual;) Lol re the Ally McBeal reference, though I would be amazed if anyone under 30 knew anything about that programme. God, I hope law firms aren't like that, shudders;) In any case let the young padawans have their dreams, they will soon learn that law isn't as glamorous as it seems.

• Advertisement

the reality is life intervenes for most people. It's hard to walk away from any job that pays the bills, particularly if there's no other job that you really want to do..
    Absolutely; I dont mean to slag off Sally, its just that the numbers of people who claim they hate their job and the numbers who actually do something about it are remarkably disproportionate. So much so that most people who make this claim arent really telling the truth. Leaving a job/career is difficult, but staying it in for 25+ years while apparently hating it is far far more difficult.
    The amount of people I know who did law and who remain solicitors despite not liking the profession all that much is surprisingly high.

The amount of people I know who did medicine/accountancy/teaching and who remain doctors/accountants/teachers despite not liking the profession all that much is surprisingly high.

The sentence remains true no matter what profession you insert. People have a great propensity to believe their job is sh!ttier than everyone else. It usually is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Absolutely; I dont mean to slag off Sally, its just that the numbers of people who claim they hate their job and the numbers who actually do something about it are remarkably disproportionate. So much so that most people who make this claim arent really telling the truth. Leaving a job/career is difficult, but staying it in for 25+ years while apparently hating it is far far more difficult.

The amount of people I know who did medicine/accountancy/teaching and who remain doctors/accountants/teachers despite not liking the profession all that much is surprisingly high.

The sentence remains true no matter what profession you insert. People have a great propensity to believe their job is sh!ttier than everyone else. It usually is not true.

I think you're seeing two sides to human nature there though. One is the power of inertia, it's hard to change things, especially when you risk moving from a position of relative security to one of insecurity. People don't like change in general.

The second one isn't the assumption that the grass must be greener somewhere else, imo, it's that very often people are (or should be) horses for courses. Being a solicitor isn't a bad career, nor is being a teacher, doctor, shop assisstant etc, if that is what you are suited to. So many people, myself included, end up in careers that while they are capable of doing them doesn't necessarily mean they are suited to them.

Too often people, particularly Irish people imo, let social pressures make decisions for them. In Australia, for example, I was struck frequently by how being 40 was considered to be young, in Ireland it's fairly much middle aged and we expect people of that age to have a middle aged outlook, so to speak. I think it's changing, but only slowly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dats_right wrote:

I have no doubt that those who do not want to hear this (probably non qualifed or practising) will come back with all sorts of counter arguments to the points I have raised, but one must seriously question why so many qualified and practising lawyers are singing off the same hymn sheet. Yes, we can all convince ourselves that things will be different for us but that is just
    deluding yourself.

that is a logical fallacy - that you profess to be a qualified practising lawyer, therefore anyone who disagrees with you must ipso facto be either non qualified or non practising.

Other than the mods (who have to declare their qualifications to become mods) there is no means of verifying any of this. It is, after all, an anonymous forum.

People can heed or ignore different views as per their own preference, but not all posters are singing off your hymn sheet. No one is saying it's an easy career path to become a lawyer, but I don't believe all the horror stories either.

What it all shows is that that objective informationshould be made available. Don't know about you, but the fact that the law society and bar council have not published statistics in relation to earnings of different categories of lawyers speaks volumes to me.

Too often people, particularly Irish people imo, let social pressures make decisions for them. In Australia, for example, I was struck frequently by how being 40 was considered to be young, in Ireland it's fairly much middle aged and we expect people of that age to have a middle aged outlook, so to speak. I think it's changing, but only slowly.

Well 40 is young tbh:D Maybe I should move to Australia...they were looking for Irish lawyers a while back.

I agree we do let social pressures shape our lives here, probably because you learn from an early age that if you stray from the herd, you will be squashed! It is the same mentality that caused the property boom and crash...everyone must have their own house. Does anyone recall that programme on RTE which was encouraging very young people (some of whom were only on contracts) to get a mortgage. The programme was called "I'm an adult get me out of here". Height of irresponsibility imo.

I think we will see more change of career people around, because of the recession.

I have to say this thread has been great to read almost a year on from my original post. I'm afraid to say I'm nowhere closer to being a solicitor! But since then, I've changed jobs (still in the public service), got engaged, started the process to build a house...so the FE1s took a back seat! It's still on my mind though, and from reading the above posts I realise its never too late. if I really want it, I'll get there. So, if I can motivate myself, I'll spend the next couple of years getting the FE1s, and see where that takes me!

Has anyone who posted got an updates on their progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Someone who is a little older, has different experience and some maturity can bring a lot to the role of Solicitor and firms recognise that. I changed career and its been (very) tough but unquestionably the right move for me.

Only you can decide if you think the same might be true for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

One word.... Barrister.

I think I've decided to finally just do it, enough procrastinating. I hope to sit the FE1s in October this year (4 exams), i'll probably sign up for one of the prep courses to keep focused.

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I think I've decided to finally just do it, enough procrastinating. I hope to sit the FE1s in October this year (4 exams), i'll probably sign up for one of the prep courses to keep focused.

Wish me luck!

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

hi there

just wondering if you went on to do fe1s? i will be 30 next week and just sat my first set. i did horrifically and was wondering how you found it being out of the loop for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Midlecat wrote: »
    hi there

just wondering if you went on to do fe1s? i will be 30 next week and just sat my first set. i did horrifically and was wondering how you found it being out of the loop for so long

You may not get a reply, as it is a two year old thread.

There is an FE-1 thread, as far as know. I don't know a lot about it, as I don't post in it, myself.

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/fe1rules.pdf

First, don't give up. You know that if you attempt four and pass at least three, those three are in the bag. Once you have three, you have five years to pass the other five exams. Therefore, you have to think strategically about how you are going to get the first three in the bag.

Secondly, good, accurate, exam focused notes are vital. People often get these as part of specialised tuition, focused on the FE-1s. I don't know if your notes are up to date, but if not, you need to get hold of some notes. Check adverts.ie and decide for yourself.

Third, practise on exam papers. Practise a lot. Then practise some more. Time yourself as you attempt the exam under exam conditions imposed by you. No use knowing it all and not getting it down on paper. You have to get 50% to pass, so you need to know that you are going to nail it before you walk in the door of the exam hall. When you read the exam paper and it feels like a deja-vu experience, you know that you're gonna nail it. Practise is the most important thing to enable you to pass.

You are feeling a bit out of the loop. But if you have good notes, then it is down to your own preparation from then on. You won't need the others.

Link:
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement