Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Kelly's Mystery Train

• 25-04-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

I used to love this show and was so disappointed when it was cancelled.

I'm listening to the archived shows from here and was wondering if it was possible to rip them so I could listen to them on my ipod. Anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wtf89

El Weirdo wrote: »

I'm listening to the archived shows from here and was wondering if it was possible to rip them so I could listen to them on my ipod. Anyone know if this is possible?

Yep - I have about 30 of them ripped onto HD - low quality though because RTe are cheapskates

You need to have Linux or to install a whole host of linux-apps into windows (cygwin, mplayer, lame etc)

Or you need to be really really nice to me and maybe I'll sort you out with them - the available shows are from 24th Nov 2005 to july 2006

here's a couple to whet your appetite :)
    [PM me for details - decided to be a little more cautious and remove online-links to mp3s+Track-listings of the radio shows, Mystery Train and JKEnsemble]

(I have a load of JKEnsemble and BlueOfTheNight as well)

If you're prepared to install all the necessary programs in windows - OR prepared to partition your HD and install Ubuntu, then pm me and I'll send you the commands needed to grab ANY radio show from RTE- It's a LOT easier than you'd think ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

El Weirdo wrote: »

1. Google for 'StreamBox VCR', download and install.
    2. Right click to download the 'listen to' link as the .smil file.
    3. Open the .smil file with Notepad and copy the URL within e.g. rtsp://blahblah/somefile.rm
    4. Paste the link into StreamBox VCR and away you go.

Apogee wrote: »
    3. Open the .smil file with Notepad and copy the URL within e.g. rtsp://blahblah/somefile.rm

Or you could do what he said- and then come back if it doesn't work :)

Apogee wrote: »

I downloaded Streambox and tried it out of curiosity, and it does seem to work, just very very slowly and rather annoyingly dropped the connection many many times with a time-out error. After 15 mins and numerous dropped connections I have managed to download 6.5Mb (70%) of the 9.5Mb rm file

It seems that rte's server is setup to only feed you a small bit of the file for buffering and then wait before sending you more (I'm guessing here)

So to compare my method of using 'mplayer' from the command-line in windows vs. Streambox, I tried a second time using Both methods at the same time - my method took 24 seconds to download the rm file from the rte server whereas I'm still waiting for Streambox to complete the download 15 mins later

It's starts off with an impressive enough 1.4Mbps connection, but then the speed rapidly tails off to 0 [Zero) Bps

Now it's possible I haven't set Streambox up correctly and need to re-jig the settings to make it work as it should, (increasing time-out limit for example) but going on the evidence I've seen so far, it's kind of annoying what with having to monitor the DL and keep telling it to re-connect

Someone with more experience of Streambox might be able to streamline the process though

ON EDIT: I set it to 'unlimited attempts' and REDUCED the 'time-out' and the 'retry-on-idle' settings and that improved matters quite a bit - but it still comes nowhere near 24 seconds- still takes nearly 3 or 4 mins, with 19 connection attempts, to grab a file that mplayer grabs in 24 seconds - like I said earlier it could be that I have not set Streambox up correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Cheers for the replies. Much appreciated.

I have actually just installed Wubi today and am (very) slowly getting to grips with it so the Linux thing does sound like an option I could try which could also help me get into the workings of it all.

I will try the Streambox lark first though and if it doesn't work at least I know there are alternatives.

Again, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

tried it again today - this time I'm getting a fairly continuous 16.5kbps stream, which seems to be close to real-time' - so I expect it'll be about an hour before I get the whole show.
    So like I said - it works, but it's slow
    I'd be curious to hear what type of speeds you're getting - perhaps it's got something to do with my connection?

regarding the mplayer method: you can install mplayer,cygwin&Lame into either windows or Linux - works well in both - it's all command-line but it's not complicated to use - the commands are fairly easy to decipher once you get the hang of it - and you can easily set up a batch (.bat) file in windows to grab several shows at once - all you have to do is adjust the file names slightly - there is no random/unknown 'pid' for you to track-down, like there is with more recent RTE radio shows, so it's simply a matter of changing the dates in the file names, and you can easily automate the process somewhat.
    Once you know the structure of the filename you can simply relpace the dates portion for all the shows - so you don't even need to download the '.smil' file to grab the rtsp link - all you need to know is the date of the show you want to grab.

So far its taken me 10 mins to grab 10% of the stream with streambox, so if you're planning on grabbing all the available shows, all 8 months worth (8x4x5), that's going to take a while using streambox

• Registered Users Posts: 1 achocalypse

Hey was anyone succesful in copying the files??

I'm a little late to the party it seems. Can't find the show to stream anywhere.
    My dad used to listen to the show when I was a kid. Loved the show.

If anyone knows where I could find the show online, or alternatively, could send me the files, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks for any help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

Wow! Thanks for reminding me of this show, John was fantastic on it. Also enjoyed his 'Eclectic Ballroom' days on Radio Ireland/Today FM. Always so knowledgeable and passionate about the music he played.

Advertisement