Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Wilson Must Go

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mary Wilson and that FKKKKKKIN pen:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

sligojoek wrote: »
    There's also her inability to pronounce the letter T properly.
    For example: "The brishish government

The letter T is gone my friend....not used any more....go out to The Cattery and you will find dustbins stuffed to the brim with unused letter T'S.

It's "Nehwork" and "Jeh seh" and "Puh his boot through ih !!.....Bill "

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

mike65 wrote: »
    Mary Wilson
    Rachel English
    Philip Boucher Hayes
    Myles Dungan

Bloody Nora.
    Spot on. All poor presenters, really. Too much politics on news anyway. Also, I see that the (wonderful) Kathyrn Thomas is now a radio presenter. It just gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The letter T is gone my friend....not used any more....go out to The Cattery and you will find dustbins stuffed to the brim with unused letter T'S.

It's "Nehwork" and "Jeh seh" and "Puh his boot through ih !!.....Bill "

Often replaced by the Mylie Cyrus 'd'. Even by RTE radio announcers. For example: "going to a pardy", "a message on Twidder".

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Often replaced by the Mylie Cyrus 'd'. Even by RTE radio announcers. For example: "going to a pardy", "a message on Twidder".
    Plus the lip smack from Bryan Dobson and Sharon the Pout at the start of every item on the ''Six o'clock after the the prayers'' news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

TOLT !!!

Learn how to pronounce the word 'told' for chrissake, it's not exactly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

RTE fail to recognise the talent they have in Rachel English.

She was far superior to Mary Wilson in the drivetime slot and should be given it back.

Mary Wilson isn't without talent and could actually be a good replacement for Anne Doyle on the news.

However for a interview based program, like drivetime, she is out of her comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    RTE fail to recognise the talent they have in Rachel English.

I've been saying this for years, but you have to take in to account that Rachel had some health problems causing her to leave originally... But I would prefer her to either Finucane or Wilson any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Myles was solid enough on 57 Live back in the day, perhaps a double header with PBH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PBH is on next week on drivetime according the schedule on the rte radio player app.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    PBH is on next week on drivetime according the schedule on the rte radio player app.

Happy days... He's the next Pat Kenny... Probably the most underused talent in RTE.. I'd have him in for Joe Duffy or Mary Wilson (or possibly both) if I was running RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

PBH is abnoxious! Myles is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

PBH is abnoxious! Myles is the man
    He even pronounces the B in PBH as ' bite-yer ', ffs. And rarely does a show without mentioning the word, thousand, pronounced ' tie-zand ', up to a thousand times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Myles was solid enough on 57 Live back in the day, perhaps a double header with PBH?

They're Uncle and Nephew aren't they? PBH should have got the show when Rachael English left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Why, oh why does DriveTime have to switch to Sports drivel at 6:30pm from July? They already have their fill of sports "news" during the programme, why do they need the extra half hour stolen from current affairs programming, on top of however long the 7pm show lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Dirigent wrote: »
    Why, oh why does DriveTime have to switch to Sports drivel at 6:30pm from July? They already have their fill of sports "news" during the programme, why do they need the extra half hour stolen from current affairs programming, on top of however long the 7pm show lasts.

Because they have no interest in talking about anything else. Sports is an easy way to fill time.It's the same on all the channels. Endless boring sports bulletins.Plus the massive sports department in RTE has to be justified somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hightide

worst thing about mary wilson is the way her voice never goes up or down, no soul. she should be saved for giving out info. about any upcoming referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

1. Because it's the "silly season" politically, where nothing happens since they're all on holidays. So, what content do you suggest they fill it with?

2. Summertime is a busy time for sports - particularly GAA, and this year we'll have the Olympics as well. You may not be, but there are a large number of people out there who are interested in sport.

3. It stops people switching over to Newstalk @ 7 for Off-The-Ball, a sports-only programme - well at least until 7:30 anyway. After that you have a choice of Arts (Arena - Radio 1) or Sport (OTB - Newstalk).

serfboard wrote: »
    1. Because it's the "silly season" politically, where nothing happens since they're all on holidays. So, what content do you suggest they fill it with?

2. Summertime is a busy time for sports - particularly GAA, and this year we'll have the Olympics as well. You may not be, but there are a large number of people out there who are interested in sport.

3. It stops people switching over to Newstalk @ 7 for Off-The-Ball, a sports-only programme - well at least until 7:30 anyway. After that you have a choice of Arts (Arena - Radio 1) or Sport (OTB - Newstalk).

I beg to disagree.

1. Drivetime have been on a half day since (iirc) the start of July, although the Dail is still in session (until tomorrow July 19th), and lots of other Irish, European and International affairs are ongoing. For the past few days, between 6:15 and 6:28 has been a flurry of hurried stories, each one could have been fleshed out properly.

2. Sports coverage is, let's face it, adequate already. The Olympics don't start until next week. And anyway if your point was valid, why did they not switch to sports during the long drawn out yawn from Poland/Ukraine?

3. I think George Hook is a good enough reason for not switching over to Newstalk ;)

• Advertisement

I beg to disagree.

1. Drivetime have been on a half day since (iirc) the start of July, although the Dail is still in session (until tomorrow July 19th), and lots of other Irish, European and International affairs are ongoing. For the past few days, between 6:15 and 6:28 has been a flurry of hurried stories, each one could have been fleshed out properly.

2. Sports coverage is, let's face it, adequate already. The Olympics don't start until next week. And anyway if your point was valid, why did they not switch to sports during the long drawn out yawn from Poland/Ukraine?

3. I think George Hook is a good enough reason for not switching over to Newstalk ;)

I think it's more to do with trying to compete with Newstalk's "Off the Ball" for listeners. OTB is the one Newstalk programme the beats RTE Radio 1 in the ratings. Having RTE'S sport show start half an hour earlier for a few months is an effort in trying to stop people switching over.

They did a similar thing with Rising Time, which now has business news just before Newstalk's Business Show starts at 6.30am.

EchoO wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with trying to compete with Newstalk's "Off the Ball" for listeners. OTB is the one Newstalk programme the beats RTE Radio 1 in the ratings. Having RTE'S sport show start half an hour earlier for a few months is an effort in trying to stop people switching over.

By far the best Sports programme used to be Lyric's "The Full Score".

(hint: no sports at all at all at all :)).

Philip Boucher Hayes is such a breath of fresh air.... His interview of Sean Fleming yesterday was excellent.. The guy is seriously sharp, and (for the hundreth time) should be given this job full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Philip Boucher Hayes is such a breath of fresh air.... His interview of Sean Fleming yesterday was excellent.. The guy is seriously sharp, and (for the hundreth time) should be given this job full time.

Hundreth time?? I think you're being a little conservative there with that number!! ;)

Couldn't agree with ya more though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

I can enjoy Drivetime with Mary Wilson gone..........
    Temporary reprieve I know, but nice nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

sudzs wrote: »
    Hundreth time?? I think you're being a little conservative there with that number!! ;)

Couldn't agree with ya more though! :D
    And I couldn't agree more either.

Maybe RTE's new Head of News/Current Affairs will do a badly needed shake out and let us hope it includes BOTH Mary Wilson and (I even find it hard to use her name) Claire Byrne. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

EchoO wrote: »
    They're Uncle and Nephew aren't they? PBH should have got the show when Rachael English left.

You're joking me! The nepotismin in RTE is unreal. Or should I say 'nephewtism'

qwert2 wrote: »
    You're joking me! /QUOTE]

Well, according to Wikipedia they are.

I think the biggest disgrace of the HSE is that they dont all drop everything to answer Sarah Burke's questions... :rolleyes:

I see Mary Wilson is back again.. back to first gear again... It's sticking out like a sore thumb that Philip is the man for this job.

• Advertisement

She says that DriveTime is up 14,000 listeners in the latest JLNR figures.. :eek: .. People must be getting sick of Cooper and Hook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement