Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rex Ryan (Gerrys Son) gets job on 2fm too

Options
  • 16-09-2014 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

I was disgusted to read this morning that Rex Ryan is getting a job on 2fm. btw I would have no problem with the ryans getting to 2fm if they worked their way up the ladder from community radio to local to regional like everyone else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I was disgusted to read this morning that Rex Ryan is getting a job on 2fm. btw I would have no problem with the ryans getting to 2fm if they worked their way up the ladder from community radio to local to regional like everyone else.

An on air job? If true all I can say is Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Rex isn't due to present with 2FM (not that I know of anyway), he's an actor, and is apparently set to appear in a sitcom on the station. Odd move IMHO.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rex-ryan-to-join-big-sister-lottie-with-2fm-acting-role-30561309.html

Bard wrote: »
    Rex isn't due to present with 2FM (not that I know of anyway), he's an actor, and is apparently set to appear in a sitcom on the station. Odd move IMHO.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rex-ryan-to-join-big-sister-lottie-with-2fm-acting-role-30561309.html
    A sitcom for the airwaves? What in God's name are 2fm thinking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fresh Pots wrote: »

That its 1955 still, as far as I can tell. Its about when Colm Hayes humour was relevant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Ciaran

They've had a "The Office" style sitcom on in the mornings for the last few months. That is what that is, right?

• Advertisement

Ciaran wrote: »
    They've had a "The Office" style sitcom on in the mornings for the last few months. That is what that is, right?

Never heard it before? What time is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hate to instantly rag on the guy or this project but I’d guess it’ll play out like so.

Average radio sit-com creates an unmerciful circle jerk in RTE which in turn gets turned into an RTE2 show which makes every licence payer want to stab themselves in the eyes with rusty nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That's how Mrs. Brown's Boys started....

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That's how Mrs. Brown's Boys started....

What station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What station?

Used to be on 2FM in the afternoons in the early 90s, Gareth O'Callaghan I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Yep Mrs Browns Boys started on Gareth O'Callaghan's afternoon programme on 2fm in the mid 90's I'd say....I remember listening to it when I was in uni...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

"Rex"?!

Dear god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

2014-09-04_ent_3232227_I1.JPG

Did they say Rex Ryan or Rhett Butler? With regard to him working at 2FM, frankly my dear I dont give a damn..

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Used to be on 2FM in the afternoons in the early 90s, Gareth O'Callaghan I think.

Fair enough, I just don't think the youths of today will be interested in it. I'm 24 and I certainly have no desire to listen to any radio sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't see the problem with it. Either he is good at the job or he won't last very long as it will be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

I don't see the problem with it. Either he is good at the job or he won't last very long as it will be obvious.

Em Derek Mooney & Joe "working class hero "Duffy arent exactly great at their jobs and look how long theyve lasted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Stop complaining, he's got a face for the radio and will be perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Except it doesn't work like that, does it. His sister got her own show despite having no discernible talent for radio presenting. Why does RTE think it owes Gerry Ryan's children a living? If it's some mistaken belief that his ex-listeners will show some loyalty to his kid's, than all they have to do is look at Lottie's listener figures - which at last count were about 1,000. Blatant nepotism tends to piss people off and is far more likely to repel listeners than attract them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I have nothing against any of Gerry Ryan's kids, but I think this looks just awful for RTE.. I mean the RTE News Team were asking some fairly pointed questions last year when it looked like the head person for the Limerick City Of Culture was hand picked, as opposed to being selected through an open competition... And here RTE are doing the same thing themselves...

I just have two questions:
    1) Were any of these jobs advertised openly
    2) Were any other non-Gerry Ryan related people interviewed for the positions?

Cos if there was no fair competition for the jobs then RTE needn't bother mounting their high horse the next time one of the political parties nominates a "friend of the party" to some plush job in the Civil Service..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Gerry's brother (Mike) still works in 2FM!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

neris wrote: »
    Em Derek Mooney & Joe "working class hero "Duffy arent exactly great at their jobs and look how long theyve lasted
    because they bring in the audience. whether you like that or not, that is the fact

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What station?

2fm, on Gareth O' Callaghan's afternoon show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Except it doesn't work like that, does it. His sister got her own show despite having no discernible talent for radio presenting. Why does RTE think it owes Gerry Ryan's children a living? If it's some mistaken belief that his ex-listeners will show some loyalty to his kid's, than all they have to do is look at Lottie's listener figures - which at last count were about 1,000. Blatant nepotism tends to piss people off and is far more likely to repel listeners than attract them.

I would really like to believe that blatant nepotism tends to piss people off and is more likely to repel listeners than attract them, but there is unfortunately a section of the populace that buys into faux sentimentalism.

After hearing of Gerry Ryan's passing I told a few people about what I had heard regarding his hypocrisy and illegal drug abuse and they rubbished me and told me to shut up and how dare I insult a great national hero of the airwaves, etc. Well, sadly, as it turned out the autopsy results fully vindicated my suspicion. When the - entirely predictable and indeed predicted - autopsy results were made public, the same people were bloviating and hand-wringing along the lines of "well, it's an addiction, isn't it, who can say what can happen if someone is in the grips of an addiction".

I'm sorry the Ryan kids lost their father at a relatively young age but it's really quite wrong that they should benefit from nepotism combined with faux sentimentalism. They should try their luck on the job market like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

It's as old as time ... "Its not what you know, it's who you know".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

because they bring in the audience. whether you like that or not, that is the fact

They continuously lose audience numbers. But black is white to you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Very few jobs in RTE are advertised openly - years ago they used to do public auditions for Newsreaders but now they're just hand picked hacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Thank f-ck when that broadcasting charge comes in we'll have UTV Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

MYOB wrote: »
    That its 1955 still, as far as I can tell. Its about when Colm Hayes humour was relevant too.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

He could be a talent

Imagine if he turned out as good as the old man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He could be a talent

Imagine if he turned out as good as the old man?

Sure gerry's daughter and his sister isn't lighting the wireless up. I'm listening to her show from yesterday. It's okayish. It's not great IMO.

Advertisement