Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Proceedings

Options
  • 27-03-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, I'm doing an assignment for Legal practice and procedures. I'v been to the Circuit Criminal Court with my class, one of the questions asks "Give your personal opinion of the court system based on what you observed." What can I say apart from its good.. My English is poor so subsequently I struggle with bull****ting. help me :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

vee_dubber wrote: »
    What can I say apart from its good.
    In order to give your opinion, you need to form an opinion. You need to ask yourself what relevant questions might be - and attempt to answer them.

Why don't you talk about whether the system was efficient or not? Maybe it was inefficient. Maybe a judge spent a whole day hearing one case. Maybe a lot of people had to wait for a half day or a whole day in court in order for a case to be heard. Maybe Gardai had to hang around in court for the day in order to give just five minutes of oral evidence. Maybe if there were more judges, not only would more conflicts be resolved, commercial and otherwise, but people would spend less time in court and more time doing more productive work.

Why isn't there a courts.ie app with useful information such which matters are dealt with in which courtroom, and automatically updated court lists?

Did the judges get through their lists? How many cases had to be put back to a different day? Did the judge finish up early to go fishing on friday afternoon?

Did you see a jury? What did you observe?

Were you able to tell if the judge applied the law evenly and consistently? If you made an observation on that, discuss it.

What else did you observe? It's not just what you saw, you have to think about what you saw and make sense of it.

Advertisement