Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postbank closing - can't get new bank account

Options
  • 15-06-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have with Postbank for 2 years, no problems. I had to go to them because BOI closed my account for not paying an instant demand to clear my overdraft of €1200. It took time to juggle trying to pay bills with cash, open a new account, set up paperwork etc.

By the time I was set up, some bills had gone bad, including credit card and old bank loans. How do you pay these if your account is closed? Anyway, I got the account with Postbank, and contacted all the debtors. I made agreements, kept them, and have been debt-free for over a year. Not too bad, considering I also had lost my job in the middle of this.

Now Postbank are closing, so I went looking for a new bank account. I was refused by the first bank I tried as my ICB credit rating was bad, due to the gaps in payment when I had no account. I am awaiting a decision from my second try, but am worried about happens if all banks refuse me.

Does anyone know of a bank which does not check credit rating if you are not looking for credit? I just want a minimum current account to accept my pay, handle direct debits and standing orders, provide a Laser card and Internet banking.

There must be someone who can help. I have talked to MABS and itsyourmoney.ie, but they say, shop around.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Laser cards are seen as a form of creditby some banks because transactions can take upto 3 working days to filter through---meaning you could spend more than you have. So with a bad ICB I would stick with ATM card for now.

Every bank checks ICB these days. Do you still owe BOI their €1200? I ask because if so, they could have reported this on the ICB report, and this could dissuade other banks from taking you on, as you would be considered "at risk".

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Had a similar experience recently. Had no trouble with the TSB for a new current account might be worth a try for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Try for a UB Step A/c, but as mentioned all current accounts are Credit Scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Thanks to all for help. I got the news today that one of the banks has accepted me. Must be the good vibes from Boards.ie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

captainpat wrote: »
    Thanks to all for help. I got the news today that one of the banks has accepted me. Must be the good vibes from Boards.ie :-)

Which bank was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Hi Insurgent,
    Not willing to give real info about my banking, but there are very few on the Current Account list at

itsyourmoney.ie

So if you have a similar problem, cross off the known bogies and phone the rest politely, mentioning that you don't need loans, just good service for a quiet account. I'm not home yet, so don't want to rock the boat.

Advertisement