Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ri - to cut with something toothed

Options
  • 01-05-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Sickle+neolith+1.JPG

In this post I would like to talk about the development of the toothed (serrated) cutting implements and the words used to describe these implements and the actions performed with them. I started my investigation as a pure linguistic one. But this investigation lead me to discovery of how humans invented toothed (serrated) blades by literally making artificial jaws. What is amazing is that the word cluster from Serbian (Slavic languages) which describes these toothed tools and their use actually describes the way these tools were developed in Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic, through people imitating nature.

This word cluster is based on the root word "ri" which means something sharp and pointy like a tooth, cutting with something sharp and pointy like a tooth, chewing, scraping, gouging. The words from this cluster are found in In many European languages but the main concentration of these words is in Slavic languages, Germanic (particularly North Germanic) languages and the Irish language. However the full etymologies of all these words can be built using base words found only in Slavic languages. The distribution and etymologies of these "ri" words point to the possibility that these words could originally have come from the old language of the Neolithic or even Mesolithic I2a people.

I think that here we have a true linguistic fossil.

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2015/04/ri.html

Advertisement