Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to draw the line on free speech?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

marienbad wrote: »
    And who decides what is meant to be offensive ? You ? you keep avoiding that question . And that is all there is to it really.

So can you answer it this time please .

I didn't avoid it? I even re-typed the question and addressed it and answered it specifically -

Who decides what causes offence? General consensus I suppose, depends entirely on your audience. In the same way as there's no such thing as free speech on Boards, there are infractions handed out to those who post something that is generally considered by it's audience to be offensive (and it has to be said that this forum to it's credit is more lenient than most, but that's probably due to the standard of civility in here too as opposed to one of the more high traffic contentious forums like soccer for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I didn't avoid it? I even re-typed the question and addressed it and answered it specifically -

Again another non answer, So when you decided to have those posters removed was that general consensus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The right to freedom of speech or freedom of expression does not mean the right to purposely offend people.
    InTheTrees wrote:
    Of course it does.
    Unlimited freedom of speech does that. There is no such thing as unlimited freedom of speech.

:confused:

Your response makes no sense...

Nobody suggested such a dystopian alternative. Free speech is not an "all or nothing" concept.

You did.

You want to stop people intentionally offending others.

Except now you say its okay for comedians to do it?

Again another non answer

If you're going to summarily dismiss every single reply, could you at least tell me now so I'm not wasting my time in answering your questions and you simply dismissing my replies as apple pie and non-answers, etc.

It's really not very conducive to discussion when you haven't even offered any opinion of your own on where you draw the line with regard to your standards you apply to freedom of speech?

Where DO you draw the line? No need for specific scenarios, just a general idea would do. Just so I have at least some idea where you stand on the issue.

So when you decided to have those posters removed was that general consensus ?

I didn't decide to have the posters removed, the Gardaí decided that. I found the posters offensive and I made a complaint. Turns out the general consensus was that they were indeed offensive, and so they were ordered to be removed.

If someone finds something offensive, they are entitled to make a complaint about it. How seriously that complaint is taken, depends on whether the general consensus agrees that it is indeed offensive.

In the case of abortion information, someone made a complaint, general consensus deemed it offensive, I didn't agree with the general consensus, but I accepted their decision. If I cared strongly enough about it, I would have fought harder against the general consensus.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You did.

You want to stop people intentionally offending others.

Except now you say its okay for comedians to do it?

Why do you find the idea of stopping people intentionally offending other people offensive? The alternative is hardly conducive to a civilised society, is it? You're going to have people who will say what they like to who they like and the implication is that they should suffer no consequences for their actions?

I never said it was acceptable for comedians to do it either btw. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around this whole concept of 'roasting' people, and to that end I sat through a half hour of "The roasting of Justin Bieber" the other night on Comedy Central. I didn't find it in the slightest bit humorous. It was just a constant stream of utterly vile insults. I could only take half an hour of it before I judged it to be an utterly pointless exercise.

I just don't get what motive is behind people who want the freedom to humiliate other people? It just strikes me as an utterly hateful and spiteful exercise. I just don't get it?

If you're going to summarily dismiss every single reply, could you at least tell me now so I'm not wasting my time in answering your questions and you simply dismissing my replies as apple pie and non-answers, etc.

It's really not very conducive to discussion when you haven't even offered any opinion of your own on where you draw the line with regard to your standards you apply to freedom of speech?

Where DO you draw the line? No need for specific scenarios, just a general idea would do. Just so I have at least some idea where you stand on the issue.

I didn't decide to have the posters removed, the Gardaí decided that. I found the posters offensive and I made a complaint. Turns out the general consensus was that they were indeed offensive, and so they were ordered to be removed.

If someone finds something offensive, they are entitled to make a complaint about it. How seriously that complaint is taken, depends on whether the general consensus agrees that it is indeed offensive.

In the case of abortion information, someone made a complaint, general consensus deemed it offensive, I didn't agree with the general consensus, but I accepted their decision. If I cared strongly enough about it, I would have fought harder against the general consensus.

And you don't see the inconsistency in your position ? you deem pro abortion information desirable and anti abortion information ( no matter how graphic) undesirable ?

And saying you went to the Garda is a cop out , as an aside I would say they exceeded their powers but that is Ireland for you . You decided they were unacceptable and you too steps to remove them .That makes you no different than Dr Selim Ali threatening to invoke the blasphemy law or the Iona crown running to the courts at every opportunity.

My position is quite simple , I see free speech and free expression as a right and not as a privilege . So the starting point should be nothing is forbidden - from there you give reasons as to what should be restricted and if a case is made we pass laws accordingly , thus the laws on defamation ,the anti racist laws, lots of the criminal law and so on.

So your notion of I don't like that poster but I like our poster is just thrown out the door . As is the Islamic idea of I don't like that cartoon or that book.

And not alone is it not a right not to be offended , it is our duty as responsible citizens to set out to offend .

I just don't get what motive is behind people who want the freedom to humiliate other people? It just strikes me as an utterly hateful and spiteful exercise. I just don't get it?

Try and think how the alternative would be.

Massive state censorship in an effort to avoid anyone being offended by anything.

Why do you find the idea of stopping people intentionally offending other people offensive? The alternative is hardly conducive to a civilised society, is it? You're going to have people who will say what they like to who they like and the implication is that they should suffer no consequences for their actions?

Umm.

You think its bad to have people "who will say what they like to who they like"?

Also there are many consequences for abusing ones right to freedom of speech.

K4t wrote: »
    I just don't get it?

Just watch the Hitchens clip. Its only 20 minutes. Sure he's a bit of a blow hard but it gives you a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

I never said it was acceptable for comedians to do it either btw. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around this whole concept of 'roasting' people, and to that end I sat through a half hour of "The roasting of Justin Bieber" the other night on Comedy Central. I didn't find it in the slightest bit humorous. It was just a constant stream of utterly vile insults. I could only take half an hour of it before I judged it to be an utterly pointless exercise.

I know this has been said before but I will try again. It is because who defines offensive? And also what is the appropriate response to being offended? Why can't the response be to be similarly offensive? Why does it have to be violence, the threat of violence? No one is forcing people to read or watch or listen to things they find offensive. In your example of watching a show which you found vile and humorless why didn't you just switch it off a great deal sooner? Why do you feel the need to ban other people from watching it?

And you don't see the inconsistency in your position ? you deem pro abortion information desirable and anti abortion information ( no matter how graphic) undesirable ?

Well as long as you're putting words in my mouth like...

I never said I deem all anti-abortion information undesirable. I have standards. That's why I would have had no issue with the anti-abortion campaign distributing information, but such an "in your face" display as I was about to go into a restaurant to eat? Well quite frankly they can shag off tbh. It was disgusting.

And saying you went to the Garda is a cop out , as an aside I would say they exceeded their powers but that is Ireland for you . You decided they were unacceptable and you too steps to remove them . That makes you no different than Dr Selim Ali threatening to invoke the blasphemy law or the Iona crown running to the courts at every opportunity.

They didn't exceed their powers if you'd care to check Irish laws on freedom of speech, they simply enforced the law. It doesn't make me any different to them, but I'm not sure what your point is? They're not allowed say what they like either and we're all held to the same standard.

My position is quite simple , I see free speech and free expression as a right and not as a privilege . So the starting point should be nothing is forbidden - from there you give reasons as to what should be restricted and if a case is made we pass laws accordingly , thus the laws on defamation ,the anti racist laws, lots of the criminal law and so on.

Exactly, and when people are offended, they are entitled to campaign for more laws to restrict what people should be allowed to say, just like you're allowed to oppose the introduction of further restrictions.

The judicial system doesn't have either the time nor the resources to entertain your "Can I say this? Can I say this then? How about this?" nonsense tbh. Say it, and you'll very quickly find out whether you can or can't say it. Pope Frank would lilely take a pop at you for insulting his mother, I wouldn't nearly be so reactionary :pac:

The reaction to your utterance could vary from simply being blanked, to being shot - depends on your audience.

So your notion of I don't like that poster but I like our poster is just thrown out the door . As is the Islamic idea of I don't like that cartoon or that book.

By YOUR standards, fair enough, but are your standards shared by the general consensus? On this thread they are, but are they shared by society? I don't think they are.

And not alone is it not a right not to be offended , it is our duty as responsible citizens to set out to offend .

I never argued that I had any right to be offended? It just happens as a consequence of something I find, y'know, offensive. I don't see it as my duty as a responsible citizen to set out to offend anyone. That's just uncivilised. I see it as my duty as a responsible citizen to be considerate of other people in society. Treat other people as I would like them to treat me.

It's really not that difficult to be considerate of other people, and there's a much better chance of a good outcome for all concerned than there is if I go running my mouth off because "I know my rights".

obplayer wrote: »
    I know this has been said before but I will try again. It is because who defines offensive? And also what is the appropriate response to being offended?

Society sets the standard for what is acceptable and what is deemed offensive.

Why can't the response be to be similarly offensive?

Because where does that get anyone? What does it achieve? It doesn't promote tolerance or understanding, so what IS the point?

Why does it have to be violence, the threat of violence?

Because other people have different standards?

No one is forcing people to read or watch or listen to things they find offensive.

By putting these things in the public domain, a shared space, people will see it or hear it or read it and their offence is an instinctive reaction. Not everyone is actually capable of being so Vulcan-like that they can so easily dismiss things they find offensive as other people.

In your example of watching a show which you found vile and humorless why didn't you just switch it off a great deal sooner? Why do you feel the need to ban other people from watching it?

I wanted to get a better understanding of what it is that people get out of the whole idea - they find insulting people is funny. Clearly I do not possess the intellect required in order to appreciate such a high-brow, edgy and nouveau form of entertainment.

I don't feel the need to ban other people from watching it if that's what they want to do. I'm reasonable like that.

Well as long as you're putting words in my mouth like...

I never said I deem all anti-abortion information undesirable. I have standards. That's why I would have had no issue with the anti-abortion campaign distributing information, but such an "in your face" display as I was about to go into a restaurant to eat? Well quite frankly they can shag off tbh. It was disgusting.

It's really not that difficult to be considerate of other people, and there's a much better chance of a good outcome for all concerned than there is if I go running my mouth off because "I know my rights".

I never said you said ALL anti-abortion information was undesirable , so no one is putting words in your mouth . But you still don't see the inconsistency in your position . I suppose the best way to illustrate it for you is to take a bit of advice proffered on another thread-

''You're not obliged to read the newspaper though, so it's not as if she is ramming anything down people's throats?''

And you are not obliged to dwell on the poster , or buy CH or read The Satanic Verses , or watch Justin Bieber being roasted . But it seems you like being offended

As for being considerate to other people , that in the context of this discussion is another meaningless statement . Buts let use it as a formula for a minute deciding what we can say or print .

Should we ban those holocaust deniers from Trinity ? Should we ban Nigel Farrage ? Should we ban those far rights groups meeting in Cork ?
    They are all offensive to the Liberal Left .

Should we ban all abortion information, all neutral sex education , any LGBT expression while employed in schools, in fact any discussion of the 'gay lifestyle', any criticism of religion ? They are all offensive to the RCC.

Sport on Sunday,Shopping on Sunday,Work on Sunday etc
    All offensive to the Ian Paisley mob.

Any image of Mohammed , any criticism of Islam, music, tattoos , all western art , co-ed schools-gyms-sports , All are offensive to Islam.

And that is before we even get to all the other sectional interest groups, lobby groups and sundry serial ''deeply offended'' shower of individuals

See where this is going ? Your formula as well as being mealy mouthed is just unworkable .

Who wants to go back to the world of banned books where on foot of a single complaint a work of art could be banned .Indeed Kate O'Brien's novel was banned for a single phrase , when a character saw two men in ''the embrace of love' . In one year alone over 1000 books were banned and all because someone somewhere was offended and lodged a complaint. No thanks.

As for being considerate to other people ,

I know.

The real danger to society is people who profess to be acting for our own good by banning speech they deem offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Society sets the standard for what is acceptable and what is deemed offensive.

French society's standard is that Charlie Hebdo is perfectly acceptable and breaks no law.

Or did you mean that the least tolerant people in society get to set the standards for everyone?

Or the most violent people?

Because where does that get anyone? What does it achieve? It doesn't promote tolerance or understanding, so what IS the point?

If you still don't get this, I don't think you ever will.

By putting these things in the public domain, a shared space, people will see it or hear it or read it and their offence is an instinctive reaction. Not everyone is actually capable of being so Vulcan-like that they can so easily dismiss things they find offensive as other people.

Yeah them poor muslims just can't help themselves from grabbing AK47s when they see a cartoon :rolleyes:

You are being far more offensive to muslims than Charlie Hebdo. You are taking away from them their intellect and judgment and responsibility for their actions, and reducing them to the level of mindless automatons 'who can't help it'.

They can help it.

I don't feel the need to ban other people from watching it if that's what they want to do. I'm reasonable like that.

If muslims said it was offensive, would you want to ban it then?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I never said you said ALL anti-abortion information was undesirable , so no one is putting words in your mouth . But you still don't see the inconsistency in your position . I suppose the best way to illustrate it for you is to take a bit of advice proffered on another thread-

''You're not obliged to read the newspaper though, so it's not as if she is ramming anything down people's throats?''

And you are not obliged to dwell on the poster , or buy CH or read The Satanic Verses , or watch Justin Bieber being roasted . But it seems you like being offended

Well as long as you're going to assume my position and argue against things I never said...

Do you understand the concept of "general consensus" at all? You imply that I want a blanket ban on things when I never said any such thing. You're implying that I'm being inconsistent because I feel differently about completely different scenarios, and then you imagine I like being offended.

It seems you've made up my mind for me instead of actually bothering to listen to anything I've actually said.

As for being considerate to other people , that in the context of this discussion is another meaningless statement . Buts let use it as a formula for a minute deciding what we can say or print.

You want to argue about the context of this discussion when you toddle off through my posts in other discussions and bring them up in this one?

Well, as long as you're being consistent... oh, you're not, are you?

Should we ban those holocaust deniers from Trinity ? Should we ban Nigel Farrage ? Should we ban those far rights groups meeting in Cork ?
    They are all offensive to the Liberal Left .

Should we ban all abortion information, all neutral sex education , any LGBT expression while employed in schools, in fact any discussion of the 'gay lifestyle', any criticism of religion ? They are all offensive to the RCC.

Sport on Sunday,Shopping on Sunday,Work on Sunday etc
    All offensive to the Ian Paisley mob.

Any image of Mohammed , any criticism of Islam, music, tattoos , all western art , co-ed schools-gyms-sports , All are offensive to Islam.

And that is before we even get to all the other sectional interest groups, lobby groups and sundry serial ''deeply offended'' shower of individuals

See where this is going ? Your formula as well as being mealy mouthed is just unworkable.

Yes, I see where you're going alright -

"We should only ban what I find offensive, anything anyone else finds offensive, well they're just being mealy mouthed and inconsistent".

Meanwhile, general consensus seems to work for everyone else.

Who wants to go back to the world of banned books where on foot of a single complaint a work of art could be banned .Indeed Kate O'Brien's novel was banned for a single phrase , when a character saw two men in ''the embrace of love' . In one year alone over 1000 books were banned and all because someone somewhere was offended and lodged a complaint. No thanks.

Again it seems, the concept of 'general consensus" is lost on you.

There's not much point in trying to discuss something such as freedom of speech with someone who wants their right to free speech recognised by everyone else, whilst dismissing everyone else's point of view.

In Saudi Arabia, general consensus is that females are second class citizens.
    Should they give up fighting for their rights?

Nobody is dismissing your right to hold and express a view, they're dismissing that view, the view that censorship based on "General Consensus" is a bad idea. marienbad has gone to great lengths to give you several examples of this.

In Saudi Arabia, general consensus is that females are second class citizens.
    Should they give up fighting for their rights?

And if I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia I could probably answer that question, but as it stands, they're over there, we're over here, so by our own standards over here - we're not going to go over there and impose our standards upon them, and then suggest that they have no right to come over here imposing their standards upon us, because that would be... inconsistent.

Nobody is dismissing your right to hold and express a view, they're dismissing that view, the view that censorship based on "General Consensus" is a bad idea. marienbad has gone to great lengths to give you several examples of this.

But the view that censorship is based upon general consensus is the reason why we have limits on free speech.

That's how things already work, and it seems to work quite well. It's how we function as a civilised society that holds ourselves up as a model of the way things should be in the Middle East where if someone says something I find offensive, I can shoot them.

And if I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia I could probably answer that question, but as it stands, they're over there, we're over here, so by our own standards over here - we're not going to go over there and impose our standards upon them, and then suggest that they have no right to come over here imposing their standards upon us, because that would be... inconsistent.

I never said any of that. I asked should they be fighting for their rights? Given that general consensus says they are second class citizens. Should they (in your opinion) just agree and give up the fight for recognition?
    But the view that censorship is based upon general consensus is the reason why we have limits on free speech.

That's how things already work, and it seems to work quite well. It's how we function as a civilised society that holds ourselves up as a model of the way things should be in the Middle East where if someone says something I find offensive, I can shoot them.

Not really. I think you're conflating the issue of censorship (as a law) and self censorship (responsibility).

There's a very important difference.

• Advertisement

I never said any of that. I asked should they be fighting for their rights? Given that general consensus says they are second class citizens. Should they (in your opinion) just agree and give up the fight for recognition?

And you missed my point that if I was actually born and raised in Saudi Arabia, I would probably agree with the general consensus that says women are second class citizens, so my answer would be completely inconsistent with my answer having been born and raised in the West.

In the West, I don't particularly care enough about women in Saudi Arabia that I'm going to see it as my right to interfere in the way their society has worked for thousands of years and impose my Western standards upon them.

You can't really complain about Middle Eastern standards being imposed upon you if you see nothing wrong with imposing your own Western standards upon them.

Not really. I think you're conflating the issue of censorship (as a law) and self censorship (responsibility).

There's a very important difference.

Censorship as a law imposes a standard of responsibility upon all the citizens to whom that law applies. While we have the right to freedom of speech, we have a responsibility to adhere to the restrictions on what we can say.

It's not a trick question. In your opinion do you think that women in Saudi Arabia should stop fighting for their rights based upon the general consensus in Saudi Arabia that they are second class citizens?

I'm not asking you to go and fight for them. I'm asking if you believe that they should give up fighting for their rights?

I'm just asking for your opinion.

It's not a trick question. In your opinion do you think that women in Saudi Arabia should stop fighting for their rights based upon the general consensus in Saudi Arabia that they are second class citizens?

I'm not asking you to go and fight for them. I'm asking if you believe that they should give up fighting for their rights?

I know it's not a trick question, but can you not see that it's not a simple answer as I would be simply imposing my Western standards upon a society which I know virtually nothing about?

The general consensus in the West is that women in Saudi Arabia are second class citizens, but is that the general consensus among women in Saudi Arabia itself? I don't know if it is?

How can you personally holding a belief about what someone else should do influence or affect them in the slightest?
    Example - I believe that Michael O'Leary should run for government some day.
    How on earth can me holding that opinion affect Michael O'Leary?

It's a simple and straightforward question. My answer is no. I believe they should continue their fight for equal status.

What's your opinion on the matter?

How can you personally holding a belief about what someone else should do influence or affect them in the slightest?
    Example - I believe that Michael O'Leary should run for government some day.
    How on earth can me holding that opinion affect Michael O'Leary?

It's a simple and straightforward question. My answer is no. I believe they should continue their fight for equal status.

What's your opinion on the matter?

Here's my opinion on the matter -

You're not far wrong in fairness. I don't know much about these conflicts in the Middle East, Africa or Eastern Europe, simply because I haven't time to be giving to these issues when I'm more concerned with issues in my own community.

Issues on a global scale that I have absolutely no control over and that I simply cannot do anything about really don't register that high on the priority scale of my limited resources.

If I were to ask my sister who converted to Islam, I'm sure her answer would be different to yours. She seems quite happy with her decision. Another female friend of mine also converted to Islam and seems quite happy in her relationship. They don't feel as though they are treated as second class citizens?

If I were to tell them they are treated as second class citizens, they'd be well within their rights to ask "What the fcuk do you know about it?". The answer is - not a whole lot.

You want a simple yes or no answer to the question above, and I can't give you one because I have no idea how their society functions, so I have no idea whether they actually ARE considered second class citizens.

In YOUR opinion they are, but can you not see that is simply you judging a whole society by your standards?

It'd simply be foolish to offer an opinion on something I know nothing about.

Can you not just answer the question?

It really is far more simple than you're making it out to be. I'm judging nobody. I'm of the opinion that men and women are equal. And I'm happy for people that share my opinion to fight for it to become law.

I think it's clear that you're dodging the question because the answer rests uncomfortably with your support for General Consensus as a basis for anything really.

Can you not just answer the question?

It really is far more simple than you're making it out to be.

No, I can't just answer the question with a simple answer because I don't know enough about society in Saudi Arabia to offer an opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I know it's not a trick question, but can you not see that it's not a simple answer as I would be simply imposing my Western standards upon a society which I know virtually nothing about?

The general consensus in the West is that women in Saudi Arabia are second class citizens, but is that the general consensus among women in Saudi Arabia itself? I don't know if it is?

By definition it is, if women are given fewer rights than men, and if women are seen as legally subordinate to men

in Saudi, men are officially 'guardians' of the women in their family, legally, they are defined as dependent subjects of the men

It's really stretching the boundaries of cultural relativism to say that we can not describe women in Saudi Arabia as second class citizens.

French society's standard is that Charlie Hebdo is perfectly acceptable and breaks no law.

Or did you mean that the least tolerant people in society get to set the standards for everyone?

Or the most violent people?

What's tolerant about people who choose to humiliate other people? Do you expect that you should be able to tie their hands behind their back and kick seven colours out of them, but if they retaliate - "the bastards!".

If you still don't get this, I don't think you ever will.

I don't think most people would get the idea that anyone should have the right to humiliate other people tbh. That's a slippery slope.

Yeah them poor muslims just can't help themselves from grabbing AK47s when they see a cartoon :rolleyes:

You are being far more offensive to muslims than Charlie Hebdo. You are taking away from them their intellect and judgment and responsibility for their actions, and reducing them to the level of mindless automatons 'who can't help it'.

They can help it.

You're playing down the significance of CH's actions, I suppose they couldn't help themselves either. They should have no responsibility for their actions. They have their rights, and responsibility is the standard for everyone else.

If muslims said it was offensive, would you want to ban it then?

I would, because I would see it as unnecessary humiliation.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    By definition it is, if women are given fewer rights than men, and if women are seen as legally subordinate to men

in Saudi, men are officially 'guardians' of the women in their family, legally, they are defined as dependent subjects of the men

It's really stretching the boundaries of cultural relativism to say that we can not describe women in Saudi Arabia as second class citizens.

What's being stretched here is the parameters of any meaningful discussion about free speech when we can introduce whatever the hell we like into the discussion and keep moving further and further away from anything that's actually relevant -

Really? This sort of nonsense is why it's bloody impossible to have any sort of a serious conversation about issues in Irish society. What the hell has women's welfare in either Saudi Arabia or Iceland got to do with the price of a can of magic beans in Ireland? Honestly, throwing out stuff like that is just not worth entertaining as it's so far off the point.

Advertisement