Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variturn?

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks, I have a Graduate which is in need of a new motor. ( I think). Has anyone any experience of the Variturn kits or similar refurb kits available for these Lathes? Im in two minds as to what to do here. I might sell one of the kids and but a Vicmarc if I cant sort this out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I fitted a variturn unit to my Graduate a good few years back, it made a new machine of it. I turn everything from 18'' bowls to egg cups and spinning tops and the speed range covers them all. Having the choice of a fast or slow start and stop is useful and having reverse is great for sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

Hi sfakiaman,

Where did you get it? Im looking at L R E Machinery in England. Any chance I could come and have a look at your machine?

Thanks for the reply

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I got mine from LRE, had to send them the pulleys to be machined. While you have it apart it might be a good time to fit a new belt and bearings. Mine was an old Graduate so I had to cut a larger opening for the switch gear, I was kind of nervous about that but it was easy enough with 4.5'' angle grinder. I'm in south Mayo, if you're around this area give me a PM. Might be easier to check out the Irish Woodturners Guild website and see if anyone in your local chapter has one. For my work I prefer the Graduate to the Vicmarc but I don't use a tail stock all that much. Still 'sell child, get new lathe' just a thought:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Terry V

I have LRE Variturn on my Graduate and agree it makes a nice machine. I cut the pedestal casting to fit the works and it made a neat job, but if I had to do it again I would probably wall-mount the electrics. It was a bit scary cutting up the lathe with the grinder!

Terry

• Advertisement
Advertisement