Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nails stuck in old hardwood

Options
  • 07-02-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have some very large rusty nails stuck in some very old, precious hardwood. I want to pull the nails, but I am having all sorts of trouble getting them out. I want to do as little damage as possible to the wood, which is very precious to me. It seems I'll need a miracle to pull them out - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

JCA

If the nail head is proud of the wood use a farriers nippers and/or vice grips and a thin hardwood scrap to prevent marring. If on the other hand the nail is at or below the surface, drift the nail through the board and pull out with the nippers.
    I should add, use a tool made for the job - a drift pin or punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You should have a 'good' side and 'bad' side ? Nip off the head if possible and if the point is showing, pull the nail through to the bad side to prevent breakout.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well thats a good one Jesus christ almighty looking for a miracle to pull some large rusty nails from a very old bit of wood which is very precious to him.
    I wonder is it in the shape of a crucifix. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

fergal.b wrote: »
    Well thats a good one Jesus christ almighty looking for a miracle to pull some large rusty nails from a very old bit of wood which is very precious to him.
    I wonder is it in the shape of a crucifix. :D

Very droll. Have you seen the price of hardwoods recently ?
    Recycling is simply common sense. I've got some beautiful cuban mahogany and rosewood from old pianos etc. Who was it said 'wood, glorious wood' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

recipio wrote: »
    Very droll. Have you seen the price of hardwoods recently ?
    Recycling is simply common sense. I've got some beautiful cuban mahogany and rosewood from old pianos etc. Who was it said 'wood, glorious wood' !

Who was it who said....

"You can't get the wood, you know"

I think he had something there :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement