Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Shels away is decent. A far cry from some of the cack Macron strips we're hopefully seeing less of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

dreamers75 wrote: »

Thinking of that 7 hours now aint yah? Was wondering who would be 1st to post it didnt think it would be you tho :pac:

maybe thats your problem, you dont think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Shels' nicest shirt in a few years. Definitely a step in the right direction away from that thing we've had the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

maybe thats your problem, you dont think!

If thinking making posts like that think i stick with my not thinking posts, far ****ing funnier anyway :P:pac:

Jordan Keegan signed for Cherry Orchard

Higgins let go by Derry or not offered deal not sure but hes available and the passer in teh LOI according to:
    Stephen o flynn ‏@flynndog18 7m
    Just heard about Ruaidhri Higgins been let go from @derrycityfc absolute joke.. Backwards step.. Best passer of a ball in @TheLOIBLOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »
    Shels' nicest shirt in a few years. Definitely a step in the right direction away from that thing we've had the last two seasons.

Nicest away since the white JWHire one!
    Higgins let go by Derry or not offered deal not sure but hes available and the passer in teh LOI according to:

Rovers or Sligo bound maybe? Davy McDaid off to Coleraine and Kevin Deery leaving to supposedly. Be interesting to see what Derry bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be getting that Shels jersey asap, super effort from Macron.

Rovers or Sligo bound maybe? Davy McDaid off to Coleraine and Kevin Deery leaving to supposedly. Be interesting to see what Derry bring in.

Is that the woolly headed one that destroyed us in the cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry fan, I won't miss Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

dreamers75 ,any sign of the new Saints jersey.I taught you might have some sneaky preview pictures of it,
    ;)

clickhere wrote: »
    dreamers75 ,any sign of the new Saints jersey.I taught you might have some sneaky preview pictures of it,
    ;)

yeah sure ;)

BbYt2jlIEAESeVB.jpg

https://twitter.com/BrenClarke1/status/411566831363964928

The real one out on friday 9am i think is the photoshoot and im getting it, not mad about latest home but definitley getting this new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is that the woolly headed one that destroyed us in the cup final?

Mark Quigley no? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

If thinking making posts like that think i stick with my not thinking posts, far ****ing funnier anyway :P:pac:
    :

ah self praise from a pats fan, i never would have seen that coming! :eek:

against the run of play, but cant say im too fond of the new shels away.:(

ah self praise from a pats fan, i never would have seen that coming! :eek:

against the run of play, but cant say im too fond of the new shels away.:(

Self praise is better than no praise :)

Mc Faul rumoured to Rovers assume thats just to piss off Rovers fans?

Mc Faul Robinson Finn midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If Finn is there. Could get worse yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fixtures announced tomorrow according to the LOI Blog.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fixtures announced tomorrow according to the LOI Blog.
    Mark Cummins ‏@markcummins1 6m
    Premier Division fixtures are due out tomorrow. No word on First Div but I understand a draft has been...drafted. Ya never know with the FAI

To have Rovers B or not to have Rovers B.

Athlone away 1st game then I have one more in that list :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Daryl Horgan to Dundalk is finally confirmed. Loads of people coming out with a range of different figure regarding the compo, but I'm sure the actual figure will be released in time.

I really do wish Dundalk well, and I hope that they've finally cracked the LOI curse of being able to spend money without going bust, but i've seen it all before, as has Shels, Drogs, Bohs, and Derry fans in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    Daryl Horgan to Dundalk is finally confirmed. Loads of people coming out with a range of different figure regarding the compo, but I'm sure the actual figure will be released in time.

I really do wish Dundalk well, and I hope that they've finally cracked the LOI curse of being able to spend money without going bust, but i've seen it all before, as has Shels, Drogs, Bohs, and Derry fans in recent times.

Local media saying €9k.

Have Cork cracked the curse? A strikeforce of Elding and Rafter wouldn't have come too cheap. I'm sure Dennehy was on good money with Rovers too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What major money are we spending?

Our budget has been increased by 20% according to a few about the town and around Oriel.

Last season it was 6500 so 7800 is not a big increase really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What major money are we spending?

Our budget has been increased by 20% according to a few about the town and around Oriel.

Last season it was 6500 so 7800 is not a big increase really
    I don't think I've ever heard a fan of a big spending club not try play down the amount of money they're spending. Trust me, Id know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard a fan of a big spending club not try play down the amount of money they're spending. Trust me, Id know.

Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talk of Higgins moving from Derry to Dundalk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Where is this evidence we are spending huge amounts of money?

Id imagine Rovers, Pats, Derry and Sligo all to have a bigger budget than us

Rovers and Sligo can justify a bigger budget. Pats are probably in a similarly risky position. Derry definitely wouldn't have had last season and nothing to suggest they do this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You just spent around €10k on a player. That's the evidence.

Any Rovers fans, what kind of player fees have ye spent on players the last few years? I genuinely don't know, just asking I guess as a comparison.

Bb3PM5pCUAA9aPF.jpg:large

Arsenals old Pats new home jersey, I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

our new stadium getting mentioned again
    unfortunately at this point the rumours thread feels the right place for it :( but the second picture there gives hope! building above ground!

Bb4ZynDIgAA8yI-.jpg

Greatest picture ever!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Rovers have a much reduced budget this year. We have only 16 players signed at present, along with some of them being on very little wages.

While are actual budget is a lot bigger, we dont seem to be signing players and are getting out bidded for players. Which is silly considering the awful squad we have, and the fact the talent pool is tightening.

Last year we had a top 3 squad, and underperformed, now we probably have the 5/6th best squad...

Corholio wrote: »
    Any Rovers fans, what kind of player fees have ye spent on players the last few years? I genuinely don't know, just asking I guess as a comparison.

I think we spent 15k on Kilduff, only fees we've paid since we bought Garry Twigg for 25/35k, although we sold Ger O Brien for the same amount to cover the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Had a good LOL at this earlier.
    OrielWeb on Tour ‏@OrielWeb
    Fan on Drogs forum claiming that @DundalkFC have... made a ridiculous offer.. for former Derry City player Rhuairdi Higgins.#MillionaireClub

Ebbs wrote: »
    Rovers have a much reduced budget this year. We have only 16 players signed at present, along with some of them being on very little wages.

While are actual budget is a lot bigger, we dont seem to be signing players and are getting out bidded for players. Which is silly considering the awful squad we have, and the fact the talent pool is tightening.

Last year we had a top 3 squad, and underperformed, now we probably have the 5/6th best squad...

I think we spent 15k on Kilduff, only fees we've paid since we bought Garry Twigg for 25/35k, although we sold Ger O Brien for the same amount to cover the cost.

Having a ****ing laugh yeah? we offered Kenna 800 you offered 1200.

Thats the opposite of being out bid. In fairness you are paying for 2 teams.....genius idea.

How are Rovers getting on with trying to sign our NUIM scholarship players? Seems none of them have opted to play for you yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Kenna and Zayed our highest earners, and your fee was much closer to ours, add ons brought ours higher...and in fairness significantly.

So far from the players we've signed, we've only out bidded on Kenna, Madden, Brennan and Byrne. The latter is still on not much. They're all basically on the wage of Sivves + a bit of Oman, Sullivan, Dennehy and Powel. We've still made a saving on wages apparently.

When you add to that the other high earners off the books, Quigley, Ricer, McCormack, Chambers, Brush, etc. We have a lot more to spend, but not actually putting it on players or being outbidded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hopefully saving up for Croly's pay-off midway through next season..

Corholio wrote: »
    You just spent around €10k on a player. That's the evidence.

If that is coming from the wage budget does it matter?
    The last time we paid compensation it came from the wage budget. I'd assume this is the same. It probably means we have one less squad player.

Agreed but;

Who have Dundalk signed over past two seasons (Towell and Horgan aside) that have been wanted by the other big spenders in the league?
    It's not like we are hoovering up the best talent in the league and offering ridiculous wages like Drogs, Rovers, Cork, Shels, Bohs, Pats etc etc have done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

doncarlos wrote: »
    If that is coming from the wage budget does it matter?
    The last time we paid compensation it came from the wage budget. I'd assume this is the same. It probably means we have one less squad player.

you will also have horgans wages as well as fee

Agreed but;

Who have Dundalk signed over past two seasons (Towell and Horgan aside) that have been wanted by the other big spenders in the league?
    It's not like we are hoovering up the best talent in the league and offering ridiculous wages like Drogs, Rovers, Cork, Shels, Bohs, Pats etc etc have done in the past.
    Pretty much all your team from last season would have attracted big interest throughout the league. This isn't like the Drogheda team of 2012 (no disrespect intended to the Drogs), this is a team full of players who are right up there at the top level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pitiful fee received for Horgan. Sad to see him leave, but it is not the end of the world. As mentioned many times, he blows cold as often as he does hot. But when he is good, he is very very good. Would have preferred to have kept him all the same.

gimmick wrote: »
    Pitiful fee received for Horgan. Sad to see him leave, but it is not the end of the world. As mentioned many times, he blows cold as often as he does hot. But when he is good, he is very very good. Would have preferred to have kept him all the same.

Yep bang on, sad to see him go, but he very very replaceable.

• Advertisement

Pretty much all your team from last season would have attracted big interest throughout the league. This isn't like the Drogheda team of 2012 (no disrespect intended to the Drogs), this is a team full of players who are right up there at the top level

How many of the following would have been "right up there at the top level" before last season? Here is our 2013 squad

Goalkeepers:
    Cherrie - Yes - Already a Dundalk player
    Shanahan - No

Defenders:
    Boyle - No - Bit part at Shels
    Massey - No
    Gartland - No
    Rossiter - Yes - bit part at Pats but solid Premier division player
    Sullivan - No bit part Drogheda
    Murphy - No
    Kelly - No

Midfielders:
    Darren Meenan - No
    Richie Towell - Yes - Offered better contract terms than Pats
    Stephen O'Donnell - Yes
    Chris Shields - No
    John Mountney - No
    Shields - No
    John Dillon - Average premier player
    Stephen McDonnell - No
    Jordan Keegan - No
    Fran McCaffery - No
    Keith Ward - Average premier player

Forwards:
    Kurtis Byrne - No
    Pa Hoban - No
    Vinny Faherty - No
    Tiernan Mulvenna - No
    Ciaran O'Connor - No

I have no doubts that most/all of our players would have demanded pay rises but our wage budget should still be realistic.

but he very very replaceable.

Love this!! :D

Yeah there are dozens of lads of his talent just waiting to sign for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

wait for it

Gary Twigg to Sligo

How many of the following would have been "right up there at the top level" before last season? Here is our 2013 squad

Goalkeepers:
    Cherrie - Yes - Already a Dundalk player
    Shanahan - No

Defenders:
    Boyle - No - Bit part at Shels
    Massey - No
    Gartland - No
    Rossiter - Yes - bit part at Pats but solid Premier division player
    Sullivan - No bit part Drogheda
    Murphy - No
    Kelly - No

Midfielders:
    Darren Meenan - No
    Richie Towell - Yes - Offered better contract terms than Pats
    Stephen O'Donnell - Yes
    Chris Shields - No
    John Mountney - No
    Shields - No
    John Dillon - Average premier player
    Stephen McDonnell - No
    Jordan Keegan - No
    Fran McCaffery - No
    Keith Ward - Average premier player

Forwards:
    Kurtis Byrne - No
    Pa Hoban - No
    Vinny Faherty - No
    Tiernan Mulvenna - No
    Ciaran O'Connor - No

I have no doubts that most/all of our players would have demanded pay rises but our wage budget should still be realistic.
    What they were at the start of last season has no bearing on now though. There would have been teams in for a large quantity of that squad and Dundalk would have had to pay them handsomely to keep that squad together, no different to the wages you'd have to pay to take 1 of the other teams players really.

What they were at the start of last season has no bearing on now though. There would have been teams in for a large quantity of that squad and Dundalk would have had to pay them handsomely to keep that squad together, no different to the wages you'd have to pay to take 1 of the other teams players really.

The majority of players were signed before their contracts expired so we weren't directly competing with other clubs. Like I've said I've no doubts we had to increase wages but to sign players of similar quality from other clubs it would have cost us a whole lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did you miss the part where we said "preferred to have held on to him"? He is replaceable. Few players are irreplaceable. Whether we get an upgrade remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Rovers and Sligo yes. Derry and Pats I wouldn't be so sure.

:eek:

The majority of players were signed before their contracts expired so we weren't directly competing with other clubs. Like I've said I've no doubts we had to increase wages but to sign players of similar quality from other clubs it would have cost us a whole lot more.
    You're always competing with other teams at any time of year. If the players weren't happy that what they got was better than what they could get elsewhere, they would hold out until the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Rovers B team Confirmed for First Division

Linky

21/25

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement