Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining table restoration

Options
  • 19-02-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all - my dining table has become quite grubby. The surface has scuff marks and scratches. Patches of the finish have even been partially dissolved through due to a chemical spill.

I would like to sand off the existing finish and recoat. I am a novice in this area and I have no idea how to go about this or what substances to use.

The table itself is nothing special. It's just a standard contemporary rectangular design, mass produced in China no doubt. I can see by looking underneath that the table top is just MDF. The surface has what looks like real wood veneer applied, four sheets in total, with an alternating grain pattern. The look/ colour I would say is wallnut.

So if I sand off what do I coat with? I think sanding down the existing finish would probably remove the original finished colour. In which case I would need to restain and hopefully match the colour correctly. Do I then apply varnish? I'm pretty sure that would leave brush stroke marks which would be unacceptable. I have heard of a finish for floors etc. which is some kind of polyurethane which when coated will continue to flow and self-level over time. This would undo any stroke marks surely?

I'm a handy DIYer but have no experience in furniture finishes. I am always bewildered by the amount of different kinds of substances out there, varnish, lacquers, polyurethanes etc. Any tips would be most welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There's an excellent description here from Kadman about varnishing technique:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

if its veneer dont touch it with sand paper you will sand threw and destroy it before you get the colour or finish of i promise you this

use nitromorse to strip it back by screaping with the grain then a quick sand with 120 grit papet and finish sand with two twenty this would be the best without wrecking it all together

Advertisement