Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone dropped in water

Options
  • 26-10-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

So i dropped my phone (samsung galaxy) in the toilet this morning :( i was able to rescue it quickly (about 20sec). My phone was on at the time. I immediately took the back case off and dried it all and then put the battery back in amd turned it in, not realising this was the worst thing to do. It turned on and then appeared to freeze, so i took the back off again and there was more water there :( so i dried it all off again amd then went and bought some rice. It has been sitting in the rice all day ontop of a radiator.

Tonight i put the battery back in and it turned on, but froze on the galaxy screen. About 6 or 7min later now the screen has turned green and is flickering with lines all over it. I can just make out the galaxy logo.

So i'm guessing now that my phone is dead and there's no way back for it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

mel.b wrote: »
    So i dropped my phone (samsung galaxy) in the toilet this morning :( i was able to rescue it quickly (about 20sec). My phone was on at the time. I immediately took the back case off and dried it all and then put the battery back in amd turned it in, not realising this was the worst thing to do. It turned on and then appeared to freeze, so i took the back off again and there was more water there :( so i dried it all off again amd then went and bought some rice. It has been sitting in the rice all day ontop of a radiator.

Tonight i put the battery back in and it turned on, but froze on the galaxy screen. About 6 or 7min later now the screen has turned green and is flickering with lines all over it. I can just make out the galaxy logo.

So i'm guessing now that my phone is dead and there's no way back for it?

Put it into a bag of rice for a day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Pop it in a bag of rice and place it in your hot press for 24hrs. If that doesn't work then it's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

It's been in rice in a warm place for about 8hrs today. I'll put it back in and leave it overnight and see how it is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Give it a few days anyway. Turning it on was the worst thing to do but at lease it still turned on. Hopefully a bad electrical connection confused it.

Bummer :( phone still is turning on, but freezes after that. Guess i need to buy a new phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Make sure it's uncooked rice not creamed rice :P

Yeah turning it on was a pretty bad idea, keep drying it without turning it on for a while and see how it goes, can take a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Same thing happened me just now. It fell down the toilet. I turned it off and gonna try the rice option :(

Same thing happened me just now. It fell down the toilet. I turned it off and gonna try the rice option :(

I hope you have more luck than I have had so far with getting it to work again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

mel.b wrote: »
    I hope you have more luck than I have had so far with getting it to work again

Not much luck as of yet. Each time I try to power it off it powers itself back on. The battery is 50% so will be a while before it runs down. It's in the bowl of rice, but I think its fcuked :(.
    Oh its an iPhone btw. I didn't see the OP was a Samsung :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I drop my phone into a lake when fishing 3 weeks ago, it was on and in the water for a few minutes cause the water was deep and took me a while to retrieve it. When I took it out I opened the back and took the battery out of it and dried it. Didn't not turn it back on for another 3 days but when I did it work perfectly, haven't had any problems with it since then. NOKIA C3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not much luck as of yet. Each time I try to power it off it powers itself back on. The battery is 50% so will be a while before it runs down. It's in the bowl of rice, but I think its fcuked :(.
    Oh its an iPhone btw. I didn't see the OP was a Samsung :(

Why are you hi-jacking this thread when you have your own thread opened?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sometimes if you leave a phone for ages like a few months its comes back to life. But usually they are stuffed.

Advertisement