Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI dehumdifier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

inthehole1 wrote: »
    hi all
    looking to buy dehumidifier for appartment,missed out on aldi offer so looking for any recomendations,rooms do get fairly cold at night so would need one that isnt effected by low temperatures.would need it mainly to prevent dampness and some drying of clothes,any suggestions appreciated
    thanks

I use a Meaco DD8L m8, got it from CH Marine about a year or two ago, cost 200 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

wiz569 wrote: »
    I use a Meaco DD8L m8, got it from CH Marine about a year or two ago, cost 200 Euro

Thanks.just checked them there.it is 220 euro.would you recommend it at this price
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks.just checked them there.it is 220 euro.would you recommend it at this price
    Thanks

Well I don't have anything to compare against it m8, but it works great for me, if a little noisy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Just wondering if this one is any good ? is it heavy on electricity

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DES14-Compact-Dehumidifier-Litre/dp/B0029NZW5Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Thanks

€209.99 in maplim
    http://beta.maplin.ie/p/meaco-8-litre-day-desiccant-compressor-free-dehumidifier-junior-a29lb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

September1 wrote: »

Nice thing about dehumidifiers is that they are over 100% efficient heating devices, they give more heat than they take electricity in.

Good and all as they are, I doubt they defy the laws of physics :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Good and all as they are, I doubt they defy the laws of physics :pac:

Maybe what hes referring to is the fact that it takes less energy to heat lower humidity air so the net temperature with dehumidifier is more than the equivalent wattage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 iglipigle

Hi, inthehole1, I still saw the Dehumidifier in ALDI a day or so ago in my local ALDI if you want to check out?

But I decide to give a miss after read reviews of compressor type and non-compressor type dehumidifier.

I have my eyes on the amazon model and hope price can go down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

iglipigle wrote: »
    Hi, inthehole1, I still saw the Dehumidifier in ALDI a day or so ago in my local ALDI if you want to check out?

But I decide to give a miss after read reviews of compressor type and non-compressor type dehumidifier.

I have my eyes on the amazon model and hope price can go down a little.

I take it you are going for the non compressor type.yeah looked at the one linked to amazon.price kinda high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

This one has great price/performance http://www.amazon.co.uk/TROTEC-TTK-75-Dehumidifier-Litre/dp/B004ZIWQ8C

It certainly collects more water inside heated areas than previous gen of DD8L and 2850e, although more noisy than those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 iglipigle

I bought Ebac 3000 series (3850E) Dehumidifier in the end on amazon black friday deal, it works out 180 euro plus parcel motel charge.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KTAEZUC/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

The dehumidifier is back in Lidl tomorrow for €149.99. Anyone bought it before? Is it a good model for the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

GaGa21 wrote: »
    The dehumidifier is back in Lidl tomorrow for €149.99. Anyone bought it before? Is it a good model for the price?

Might be similar to the one I got in ALDI, which works great to clear up humidity in my bathroom, but others have said these don't work great in cold temperatures, so it probably depends on the environment you want to use it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

mrcheez wrote: »
    Might be similar to the one I got in ALDI, which works great to clear up humidity in my bathroom, but others have said these don't work great in cold temperatures, so it probably depends on the environment you want to use it in?

+1 on the Aldi one. Does a great job drying the walls etc while operating for 1 hour while I head to work. You can set it turn off automatically after a time that suits you....Great 3 yr warranty too. Not suited for cold environments as already stated though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

GaGa21 wrote: »

Just wondering if you bought this, or if anyone else who bought the Lidl dehumidifier could let us know how well it works for them?

My heating is on a few hours a day, so I reckon this type could work for me..

UsedToWait wrote:
    Just wondering if you bought this, or if anyone else who bought the Lidl dehumidifier could let us know how well it works for them?

I didn't buy it after all as there wasn't enough feedback on the model for me to buy.Will keep an eye out for the other one to come back in Aldi as that had good reviews.
    I live in an apartment in an old building that's prone to damp. Now with this cold weather, drying clothes is near impossible! No dryer so we use the clothes horse all the time. Not good for dampness!

I seen the dehumidifier back in Aldi today for anyone still looking. But for 169.99, it's not enough of a bargain for me to buy at this time of the year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, just curious how everyone is getting on with their dehumidifiers? I've had mine constantly plugged in since this thread and have had my heater on a thermostat keeping around 18 degrees for most of the winter too. It's definitely comfortable and the build up of mould and dampness through my place seems to have ceased which is great.

As the weather we've been having leaves no real choice but to dry clothes indoors, I've been making sure to put the dehumidifier on full blast with the clothes on a horse beside it and the back door ajar.

The clothes get dry quicker than they ever have inside before and with a mid dry rotation could be pretty much wearable after 24 hours, it almost took 3 days before using the dehumidifier and some clothes could quite easily get a damp smell if not put in a good position etc. That doesn't happen anymore which is great.

One question though, when I first started using it, the water tank in the dehumidifier would fill up within about 20 hours and now it hasn't filled up in ages. I don't know is that because most of the dampness has been taken out of the walls etc, or is it because of the outdoor temperature level being too low, even though it's heated in my place with the heater on?

The counter top at my kitchen sink has been slightly damaged for years and the last plumber who came in said it would probably need to be replaced soon, but it was fine and I'm thinking it stayed ok because of the dampness, now it's began to dry out a bit and is flaking bits off, which although it may mean I'll need a new counter, it's a sure sign the dampness in my place has been mostly dried up.

cormie wrote: »
    One question though, when I first started using it, the water tank in the dehumidifier would fill up within about 20 hours and now it hasn't filled up in ages. I don't know is that because most of the dampness has been taken out of the walls etc, or is it because of the outdoor temperature level being too low, even though it's heated in my place with the heater on?

What does the percentage-humidity read-out show when it's on?

More than likely your place is drying up, filling up in 20 hours is pretty unusual. I would have thought it would take a few days to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arubap

I bought this one back in 2013 due to buying an old damp house. It has been great and does exactly what it should. I would avoid the Aldi one and go for a proper machine as the extra expense pays for itself.

Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16V-E1

• Advertisement

arubap wrote: »
    I would avoid the Aldi one and go for a proper machine as the extra expense pays for itself.

odd statement to make, the Aldi one has similar specs plus a 3 year warranty whereas the Mitsubishi has a 2 year warranty. What classifies the Mitsubishi as a "proper machine" over the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

I bought this one back in 2013 due to buying an old damp house. It has been great and does exactly what it should. I would avoid the Aldi one and go for a proper machine as the extra expense pays for itself.

Proves that advertising works. I've found more often than not that lidl and aldi are as good quality as the top brands and a fraction of the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Why it's less efficient at cooler temps.

chart_psychrometric.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arubap

Maybe odd for you but you get what you pay for. Aldi quality is budget quality at best and the lack of specs don't make it a good buy in my opinion. But it's just my opinion :). I did a lot of reading and comparing at the time and the Mitsubishi one seemed to have a lot of positive reviews while the more affordable types in DID/Woodies etc didn't score well and wren't recommended for my needs - which was low temp usage.

mrcheez wrote: »
    What does the percentage-humidity read-out show when it's on?

More than likely your place is drying up, filling up in 20 hours is pretty unusual. I would have thought it would take a few days to fill.

There's no humidity display anywhere on it I'm afraid and I don't have anything else that would display humidity either.

I heard that a typical wash would still have about 2l of water after a spin, so I didn't think it too odd that the humidifier would fill its 2l tank between the clothes drying and other dampness in the air/house in 24 hours, now I'm curious as to where the 2l of water from the wash is going if it's not ending up in the water tank after the clothes are dry?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maybe odd for you but you get what you pay for. Aldi quality is budget quality at best and the lack of specs don't make it a good buy in my opinion. But it's just my opinion :). I did a lot of reading and comparing at the time and the Mitsubishi one seemed to have a lot of positive reviews while the more affordable types in DID/Woodies etc didn't score well and wren't recommended for my needs - which was low temp usage.

Sounds like the same old ignorance peddled out time and time again with diddly squat to back it up, but that's just my opinion :)

You'll find plenty of people on here that have nothing but good things to say about the Aldi/Lidl hardware once they are above a certain price range, meeting (but occasionally far exceeding) the quality of items that are priced higher by competitors... but even saying that, the quality of their cheaper merchandise is excellent as well. I've only once had an issue with a cheaper item that broke down after 1 year, but this was quickly rectified by getting a replacement at no extra cost and minimal hassle.

Going 3 years now, I've purchased countless items from Aldi + Lidl (including a dehumidifier) that have performed superbly. If you're not happy simply bring it back for a full refund (within a few weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I bought the Lidl dehumidifier when it came out the couple of months ago. It works well at low temperatures, as I use it in my shed which can get damp as I hang laundry to dry in there.

Couldn't complain about it at all, it's got all the bells and whistles unlike the old brand-name dehumidifier that I use in the house!

If it comes back into stock, I'd highly recommend it. It's got a good guarantee (3 years, I think) if you do run into problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

cormie wrote: »

I think it is the outdoor temperature, all right. In summer the ground heats up, evaporating the rainfall and causing higher humidity. In winter the ground is cold, so there's less evaporation and less vapour in the air.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I was thinking it must be related, just as long as the moisture from the clothes isn't going into the walls or anything it's ok. Unless I should be getting a desiccant dehumidifier to work better in winter?

Advertisement