Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Thanksgiving!

• 27-11-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭

A US day of glutony, a giant baloon of Snoopy being dragged down a NY street & 3 back-to-back NFL games.

What have we to give thanks for this year?

Getting the ball rolling:
    This year I give thanks to my beautiful wife for bringing into the world our amazing baby boy.
    It was a difficult time, but I thank her for the incredible work & sacrifice she has gone through to to have a wonderful baby by our side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Every fcuking year with this shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A US day of glutony ... & 3 back-to-back NFL games.

That we don't have to watch 3 back-to-back NFL games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not being American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

gramar wrote: »

That's how yearly customs work.
    Eventually they become an annual tradition.

You should get behind Christmas too.
    Its pretty new & needs support to get off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

gramar wrote: »

Yes annual events tend to be that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's not Thanksgiving until someone destroys the turkey / sends it flying into the sky and general hilarity ensues in trying their best to get the family together. The father will probably screw the whole thing up by blowing the house up or something, with his all family hating him, but he'll redeem himself just in time and warm everyone's hearts.

At least that's what the movies tell me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hungry hungry Americans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

I am thankful not to be living in St Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That's how yearly customs work.
    Eventually they become an annual tradition.

You should get behind Christmas too.
    Its pretty new & needs support to get off the ground.

I reckon the point he was trying to make was why start a thread about an American tradition on an Irish site every year. It's nothing to do with us and it bores me to tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"How about dem Bears?"

"Hell of a season......"

Thankful I don't have to worry about my hand being between two pillows......

It's only a matter of time before we start to celebrate it here - this year it seems a lot of shops are celebrating Black Friday........wish they'd do it properly and give us the discounts you can get Stateside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yay! The annual deep fried turkey fail videos on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I reckon the point he was trying to make was why start a thread about an American tradition on an Irish site every year. It's nothing to do with us and it bores me to tears.

There are piles of american threads in this forum, that have no direct relevance to Ireland.

If it was so insular, every thread would be more b*itching about paying for water.

If your that bored, do some work or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Access to food, clean water, medicine, warmth and living in a country where it is safe to walk down the road (for the most part!)

Unlike millions of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Since when was it an Irish Holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Dude do you like even know where Ireland is? Its like somewhere in Montana

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a football fan I'm very happy there's 3 back to back games. And that I get to watch them all. No work tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm very surprised that the canteen doesn't have turkey on today (American MNC).

I'm thankful for that, way too much pushing of turkey before Xmas imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

My American friends don't like it when I refer to it with "Happy Genocide day"

Gezz, lighten up like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

They get in on the 'St Patty' celebrations so yeah lets do this! Just don't make me watch NFL *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

My American friends don't like it when I refer to it with "Happy Genocide day"

Gezz, lighten up like.

The teaming up with one group of locals to destroy the more savage neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

A day to remember the Native Americans who were slaughtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

iDave wrote: »
    They get in on the 'St Patty' celebrations so yeah lets do this! Just don't make me watch NFL *shudder*
    They've been celebrating St Patrick's Day in the US for hundreds of years, due to the huge number of Irish immigrants there. You're not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Since when was St Patrick's day an American holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Happy Turkey Day to all Yankistanis reading this. Eat well, and blow health out yer ass. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ah, Thanksgiving. Spend the day been thankfull for the harvest and the graces God has granted.

Then tomorrow, black friday, head to the shops and savagely fight others to get your hands on that discounted gun holster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Better lock the door before someone comes to your home to point a gun at your head as they force you to watch NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Since the shops decided that having milked Halloween for a much as they can now it lasts for most of October, they we now need another 'holiday' to celebrate just before Xmas enters month 4 of it's 5 month run.

Then it's a little pause at the end of January to bank their money before the 2-3 weeks of Valentines DAY begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im thankful the natives werent able to put up much of a resistance due to their population taking a beating from illness so that a few europeans could go and make the greatest nation in the world. (Note: May not be that great if you are sick or a black teenager around a cop)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

since a lot of irish have friends or family over there and it's a big deal for them now,

that and those friends and family are also open to shopping for you on black friday over there, i get the shopping with none of the work :pac: :D so it's good to be thankful for that.

Since when does it have to be? Its not a forum for discussing only Irish things. its a big world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

A US day of glutony, a giant baloon of Snoopy being dragged down a NY street & 3 back-to-back NFL games.

Getting the ball rolling:
    This year I give thanks to my beautiful wife for bringing into the world our amazing baby boy.
    It was a difficult time, but I thank her for the incredible work & sacrifice she has gone through to to have a wonderful baby by our side.

Thinly veiled "my moh had a baby thread" :P:P

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Since when does it have to be? Its not a forum for discussing only Irish things. its a big world.

.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One could only imagine the outcry if Germany had a holiday to gloss over the Nazi Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One could only imagine the outcry if Germany had a holiday to gloss over the Nazi Holocaust.

lets start one and call it Völkermord Tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Only a matter of time unfortunately until this "hoilday" reaches us. Our nearest neighbour is already showing signs of accepting it:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/nov/27/britsgiving-one-in-six-britons-celebrate-thanksgiving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not even this:D Lingerie football league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfkKjATCu4E

kneemos wrote: »
    .ie.

Yes but not .ie/only/foreign.topics.out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Im getting drunk in solidarity with our American cousins!

http://imgur.com/pfPrXns

Im getting drunk in solidarity with our American cousins!

http://imgur.com/pfPrXns

Is that the turf shed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    Is that the turf shed?

Na, the loose box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ah, the annual celebration of immigrants who refused to speak the local language being given welfare handouts. ;)

And fuck Black Friday - I'm going ski-ing tomorrow. I'm thankful to live within a short drive of decent mountains. No more Ryanair....whoo hoo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ploughed into turkey, creamed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry stuffing, sweetcorn, cornbread and three bean salad. Washed it down with gallons of Michelob beer and had some pumpkin pie afterwards.

First time having thanksgiving in the US. Loved it and even got a larf at the size of the papers today full of ads for shopping. Say what you will about the yanks but they do a great holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Plazaman wrote: »
    Say what you will about the yanks but they do a great holiday.
    Thats because they dont have that many.

When are you back in work after Christmas, 26th ?

Advertisement