Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor storage in a small apartment

• 18-07-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm moving into a new small apartment. I've no outdoor storage for my bike and it would have to be kept in the apartment in the first floor.

Has anyone any storage ideas to keep the bike safe, compact and tidy within the apartment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm moving into a new small apartment. I've no outdoor storage for my bike and it would have to be kept in the apartment in the first floor.

Has anyone any storage ideas to keep the bike safe, compact and tidy within the apartment?

How high is your ceiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Guys,

I use a Toppeak Dual Touch stand. It's tidy enough, holds two bikes and braces between the floor and ceiling so no mounting anything to walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Behind the couch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Behind the couch?

Balcony during the day keep it inside during the night or when youre out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not being smart but check your lease you may not be allowed a bike inside.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Not being smart but check your lease you may not be allowed a bike inside.

I could understand such a clause regarding the pets but with bikes - ridiculous nonsense...

omri wrote: »
    I could understand such a clause regarding the pets but with bikes - ridiculous nonsense...

Healthily ignored in my building.

The management company would find a lot of angry feedback about their priorities if they tried to make an issue of it.

The management company would find a lot of angry feedback about their priorities if they tried to make an issue of it.

Rightly so. A ridiculous "rule" and made to be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

How high is your ceiling?

High enough actually to take a stand.

Behind the sofa won't work as it's in the middle of the room.

I have nowhere to store it other than in the apartment so if anyone has a complaint they can gladly provide me with a shed.

Has anyone a link to one of those bike stands?

High enough actually to take a stand.

Behind the sofa won't work as it's in the middle of the room.

I have nowhere to store it other than in the apartment so if anyone has a complaint they can gladly provide me with a shed.

Has anyone a link to one of those bike stands?

High enough to store a bike hanging on Pulleys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

High enough to store a bike hanging on Pulleys?

Have you an image to illustrate it to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

97.jpg

If you image search "bike in apartment" you might get an idea of what's possible with various hooks and shelves. How practical some of them would be with a wet commuter is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Probably not of interest to you, but the problem can be approached from the other end: get a bike that can be compacted down. (A Brompton, for example.)

97.jpg

If you image search "bike in apartment" you might get an idea of what's possible with various hooks and shelves. How practical some of them would be with a wet commuter is another thing.

Blanket or mat on the floor would sort that worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Probably not of interest to you, but the problem can be approached from the other end: get a bike that can be compacted down. (A Brompton, for example.)

Very dependent on what the bike is used for, TBH - I wouldn't fancy cycling up the hills in Wicklow on a folding bike, for example, and down could be even worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Rightly so. A ridiculous "rule" and made to be ignored.

I can understand the resistance, but it's not really ridiculous at all. Stairways aren't made for bikes. Staircase turns aren't made for dragging or pushing bikes through. Apartment hallways aren't designed for bringing or pushign bikes through.

Having said that, such developments should have safe and secure storage for bikes. Last time I rented, each unit had an outside shed, with enough room to hang a bike vertically. They weren't exactly high-security units, but there weren't any particular issues. I've discovered since then that this was a rarity.

Wouldn't it be nice if DAFT listed bike storage facilities for every apartment rental, in the same way that they list car parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

cython wrote: »
    Very dependent on what the bike is used for, TBH - I wouldn't fancy cycling up the hills in Wicklow on a folding bike, for example, and down could be even worse!

Have seen a Brompton pass me descending Glenmacnass as I was going up it... Wouldn't be tempted by it myself though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Aldi do one similar to this :

5010787251_bbcb0c6260.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RainyDay wrote: »
    I can understand the resistance, but it's not really ridiculous at all. Stairways aren't made for bikes. Staircase turns aren't made for dragging or pushing bikes through. Apartment hallways aren't designed for bringing or pushign bikes through.

Having said that, such developments should have safe and secure storage for bikes. Last time I rented, each unit had an outside shed, with enough room to hang a bike vertically. They weren't exactly high-security units, but there weren't any particular issues. I've discovered since then that this was a rarity.

Wouldn't it be nice if DAFT listed bike storage facilities for every apartment rental, in the same way that they list car parking?

There's absolutely no way in the world I would leave my race bikes outside in a shed. I have lived in many apartments (and still do), and never keep them outside now. I keep mine in my bedroom (there are 4 in there, two sides of the room are taken up by bikes and rollers). There are two bikes on the stairs inside my door, they're the guard bikes. If you want to rob the flat you have to get by them and their pointy bits first!

Re stairs etc., I can pop my bikes on my shoulder and head down any stairwell no problem, even my 16kg commuter. I used to have a studio in a small old building, and I brought Henri up the 4 flights of tiny stairs no bother. Needs must.

I cannot, in any way shape or form understand why bikes should be banned from inside an apartment, when prams and wheelie trolley's for example are allowed. What you want to keep in your apartment is your business (within the realms of the legal obviously!).

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    I keep mine in my bedroom (there are 4 in there, two sides of the room are taken up by bikes and rollers).

You are obviously single or just weird ;)

Not single but definitely weird :cool: Where there's a will there's a way :pac:

Or has her priorities straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There's absolutely no way in the world I would leave my race bikes outside in a shed. I have lived in many apartments (and still do), and never keep them outside now. I keep mine in my bedroom (there are 4 in there, two sides of the room are taken up by bikes and rollers). There are two bikes on the stairs inside my door, they're the guard bikes. If you want to rob the flat you have to get by them and their pointy bits first!

Re stairs etc., I can pop my bikes on my shoulder and head down any stairwell no problem, even my 16kg commuter. I used to have a studio in a small old building, and I brought Henri up the 4 flights of tiny stairs no bother. Needs must.

I cannot, in any way shape or form understand why bikes should be banned from inside an apartment, when prams and wheelie trolley's for example are allowed. What you want to keep in your apartment is your business (within the realms of the legal obviously!).

Glad it's working out for you, though there are other views. If I were a landlord, I'm not sure I'd want my tenants pushing or carrying a wet dripping commuter bike into my apartment. If I were a management company board member, I'm not sure I'd want cyclists dragging wet dripping oily bikes through common areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

It's less about them being inside the apartment and more about the necessity of bringing them through the common area to get them there.

While some cyclists are both strong and conscientious enough to prevent their bike from damaging the paintwork on the walls, many simply can't lift their bike or don't give a damn if they leave rubber smears along the walls and dirt tracks in the carpets. This is unfair to the residents who treat the shared areas of the building respectfully, as the cost to repair these areas will be borne by them also, despite having no responsibility in their damage.

You make an excellent point about prams, but the reality is that the country would be in uproar if people were asked to leave those outside, so it simply isn't practical to enforce the same regulations on them. Trying to determine which cyclists are and aren't being respectful of the common spaces would require more time and effort from the management and the residents, so the path of least resistance is to ban the practice entirely.

It isn't particularly fair, but there is reasoning behind it.

Glad it's working out for you, though there are other views. If I were a landlord, I'm not sure I'd want my tenants pushing or carrying a wet dripping commuter bike into my apartment. If I were a management company board member, I'm not sure I'd want cyclists dragging wet dripping oily bikes through common areas.

The same should apply for wet dripping buggies, clothes and shoes then. Why do you say dragging when most people who cycle would be capable of carrying the bike or rolling it? It's no different from a buggy. Also, I can't recall the last time that I saw a bike dripping oil all over the place. No need for oil on a bike anyway. You know the way people clean up water from the floor where they live? I imagine cyclists do the same if their bike is dripping water when they put it in the apartment.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    It's less about them being inside the apartment and more about the necessity of bringing them through the common area to get them there.

While some cyclists are both strong and conscientious enough to prevent their bike from damaging the paintwork on the walls, many simply can't lift their bike or don't give a damn if they leave rubber smears along the walls and dirt tracks in the carpets. This is unfair to the residents who treat the shared areas of the building respectfully, as the cost to repair these areas will be borne by them also, despite having no responsibility in their damage.

You make an excellent point about prams, but the reality is that the country would be in uproar if people were asked to leave those outside, so it simply isn't practical to enforce the same regulations on them. Trying to determine which cyclists are and aren't being respectful of the common spaces would require more time and effort from the management and the residents, so the path of least resistance is to ban the practice entirely.

It isn't particularly fair, but there is reasoning behind it.

When in actual fact the majority of the damage caused to walls is by buggies, prams, people moving furniture, etc.

I manage a small apartment building with narrow stairs, even without prams or bikes people make **** of the hallways and landings and as Lusk_Doyle said permanent damage comes with furniture moving or drunken hijinks.

What about carrying rubbish down to the bins ? What about weekend parties ? I see this do more damage in my apartment block than bikes.

Frankly, that's a typical attitude - ' I can imagine that might be a problem so lets ban it ' .

Also, having been on management company board, I've rarely come across such a bunch of cretins - people who want the status of a title but lack the skills to back it up.

OP - Ive three bikes in my apartment, all mounted on the wall. I clean them outside and on the balcony so they never mess the place up. My wife has OCD ( obsessive cleaning disorder ) - if it gets a green light from her its OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

When in actual fact the majority of the damage caused to walls is by buggies, prams, people moving furniture, etc.

I didn't say it was fair, I said that legislating against these things is simply not possible. Furniture must be able to be moved in and out of a building or the premises could never change hands or be redecorated. Provisions for children must be made or anti-discriminatory bodies will become involved.

Cyclists are not protected by law, as families are, or protected by practicality/business as moving home is. It's as simple as that.

Someone said they couldn't understand why bikes were banned; I was explaining it. Not justifying it.

Toddlers should be banned from rental accommodation
    - they too make hell of a mess but independently and in a random manner as opposed to a dripping oil bikes moved from front door to I would presume the balcony if they're indeed dripping the oil... I'm not sure but I think the landlord is obliged to repaint the property every 2 yrs or so while reasonable wear & tear is something you could not avoid. Don't see why there should be a problem with having the bike inside.

Not single but definitely weird :cool: Where there's a will there's a way :pac:

indeed :)

photo-home.jpg

indeed :)

snip

My bikes are waaaay prettier than that:pac:

Re bikes inside apartments, as others have said there are numerous things that damage walls and floors way more than a bike ever will.

Also if forced to leave bikes outside, carbon cannot be locked and any bike is extraordinarily venerable to theft - I would hope the management company has a compensation fund to replace the several thousand euro bikes can cost when inevitably stolen having been left outside or in an underground carpark unlocked?

My bikes are waaaay prettier than that:pac:

Re bikes inside apartments, as others have said there are numerous things that damage walls and floors way more than a bike ever will.

Also if forced to leave bikes outside, carbon cannot be locked and any bike is extraordinarily venerable to theft - I would hope the management company has a compensation fund to replace the several thousand euro bikes can cost when inevitably stolen having been left outside or in an underground carpark unlocked?

Why can't carbon be locked? Much like an unlocked car, if you leave a bike unlocked outside and it gets stolen, well then, that's your own fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I tried leaving my bike in the underground car park when I lived in an apartment block. I left extra locks locked to the stand. I came home one day, and someone had been practising their levering technique on my spare locks. So I just kept the bike in the apartment after that. It might be forbidden, but if you are decent about not making a mess, no-one will know. Just another somewhat unsatisfactory accommodation you have to come to if you're in a minority.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

G1032 wrote: »

Completely useless in a rented apartment unfortunately but otherwise looks a deceptively simple solution.

I've one of those Aldi bike stands, but have yet to unbox it. Not sure if it has to be secured to a wall or not, as I can't attach anything to the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Weepsie wrote: »
    Completely useless in a rented apartment unfortunately but otherwise looks a deceptively simple solution.

I've one of those Aldi bike stands, but have yet to unbox it. Not sure if it has to be secured to a wall or not, as I can't attach anything to the walls

It looks the business alright. Wouldn't like to be sitting under it after a 3hr spin on wet roads either!!

The Aldi one is good. Needs a small hole in the wall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you ca't bring a bicycle into an apartment, just take a wheel off and bring several bike parts into the apartment.... simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

2 for 1 this weekend, not a ceiling storage system but does claim to store your bike and keep your walls clean. http://www.getclug.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

GSOIRL wrote: »

An Irish lass I think.

Advertisement