Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question ;narrow slick tyres on a cheap mountain bike

Options
  • 26-11-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

I'm looking at removing the knobbly tyres and putting narrow slicks on an old mountain bike so that I can use it to cycle to work . Im looking at a pair of schwalbe cityjets 1.5 . The tyres on at the moment are 26 x 1.95 . Im not sure if the narrow 1.5 will fit on my rims or does it matter as long as its a 26 tyre ?

Thanks

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

More than likely will. There's a fairly wide range of tyre widths that will fit a particular rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have a pair of some Specialized 25mm 26" tyres in the spares box - you can try them if you want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've put cityjet 1.5s on an old mountain bike before with no problems and way better performance over knobblies on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I run a set of the Specialized 25mm tyres that Alek mentioned on a 1991 high-spec steel MTB, and they are superb - they take 8bar (125psi) max, and it's like rolling on two grippy marbles.

The only issue is that the rolling circumference is much smaller than the usual 1.95 knobbies, which can mean that you run out of gears a bit, especially as the bike is so fast with the lower rolling resistance.

Cityjet 1.5's are a good (and cheaper) improvement too, although they only take 6 bar (85psi). Any of these tyres will fit a MTB's 26" rim, once the ETRTO rim & tyre measurements are both 559.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

If you still want to use the bike for light off road stuff, there's a tyre with a slick middle and knobbly edges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement