Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psoriasis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anyone every used Dermalex? Its available from Boots, 27 quid but im just wondering if its another expensive moisturizer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

wonga77 wrote: »
    Anyone every used Dermalex? Its available from Boots, 27 quid but im just wondering if its another expensive moisturizer

Yep, at least it was another expensive one for me anyway. Different strokes for different folks.

Off all meat since 29th October,bar 2 instances of fish, with the last being at Christmas dinner. Mine has 99% cleared up and feeling better by the day, mentally and physically!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

rizzee wrote: »
    Yep, at least it was another expensive one for me anyway. Different strokes for different folks.

Off all meat since 29th October,bar 2 instances of fish, with the last being at Christmas dinner. Mine has 99% cleared up and feeling better by the day, mentally and physically!

Absolutely buzzing that you’ve found a source that triggers it for you and you have it under control.

What are you using as a protein source?

rizzee wrote: »

Did you eat much meat before? I've tried it before but would find it hard to do long term, I didn't see any benefits when I tried it last, maybe lasted about 6 to 8 weeks before I put it back in my diet. I actually felt worse physically but possibly I should have been taking some form of protein supplements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’d be slightly worried about constipation on a high protein diet, although some people say it makes you go more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks a Mil!

Doing a lot of training, gym and running, I take creatine, 2 scoops of protein, a berocca and 100mg of omega 3 every day without fail. Also minimum 4 litres of water.

I used to be a big meat ester yeah, pretty much every day. I don't miss it at all to be honest. There's plenty of options these days as big companies are jumping on the bandwagon and if there is any itch there are quorn options etc. If I wanted a greasy takeaway after a night of the beer I can get a meatless meatball sub or a veggie burger!!

My weight fluctuates big time, last week for instance, last Saturday I was 13 stone even and yesterday 12.9. I eat what I want, when I want and let the training work it off!

Anyway. Sorry to be going on a veg rant. But it has worked for me (touch wood it stays like that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

wonga77 wrote: »
    Anyone every used Dermalex? ...........

Used it before and not really any improvement for me so yea an expensive moisturiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see this cream I never heard of before.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/dermal-psoriderm-cream-225-ml.html#.XkvJejKeSHs
    Dermal Psoriderm Cream 225ml

I got lecithin before to take orally, I got it in tesco and its in health food shops.
    Psoriderm Cream is used for the treatment of sub-acute or chronic plaque psoriasis of the scalp or skin. Psoriderm Cream contains two main ingredients: coal tar and lecithin. Coal tar relieves itching and helps restore skin structure by slowing down the process of cell production. Lecithin softens the psoriasis scales and helps enhance the absorption of coal tar.
    Active Ingredients:
    Distilled Coal Tar 6% w/w, Lecithin 0.4% w/w

I wonder if you could mix lecithin in with other creams, the likes of vaseline to get a benefit. They only have a very small amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Coal tar is great for the itching. Not sure about anything else.

• Advertisement

Due to take my next shot of Stelara next wednesday, usually around the week 11-12 mark my skin goes dry and some tiny patches of psoriasis comes back, so really want to take my shot next week.

This whole virus situation is starting to freak me out tho, how's everyone else feeling about it?

I did get a belt of the flu just before christmas and it was pretty intense, so i just don't know what to do.

I’m gonna call my dermatologist. I’m due a new biologic but I’m not sure if it’s the best time. It annoying too as my psoriasis is really acting up, as is my psoriatic arthritis...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

After 10 years I've finally put my name down with a private clinic for an appointment with a dermatologist. Got a call today saying there has been a cancellation and by some freak of timing I've managed to get my consultation tomorrow.

I'm curious as to what to expect? A 15 min chat similar to a GP and maybe a form of treatment plan? How much can I expect to be paying for these treatments on top of the 250 consultation fee?

From a quick Google a lot of the treatments have an affect on the immune system so I'm also wary it may be poor time to start a programme with the ol Corona on the horizon.....

I’m on pretty string antibiotics and my Psoriasis is really flared up. Is that common?

brevity wrote: »
    I’m gonna call my dermatologist. I’m due a new biologic but I’m not sure if it’s the best time. It annoying too as my psoriasis is really acting up, as is my psoriatic arthritis...

Let us know what they say to you.

I’m not even gonna try and call mine, I won’t hear back from him for a week at least and I’m due to take it tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

eeloe wrote: »
    Let us know what they say to you.

I’m not even gonna try and call mine, I won’t hear back from him for a week at least and I’m due to take it tomorrow!

Took mine Monday. Interested to know the dermatologists view on it and the virus also. I can only assume it wouldn't be ideal for us to get the virus.

• Advertisement

Any links between high cholesterol and psoriasis? Or anyone with first hand experience?

I’ve had a reaction to an antibiotic and my psoriasis is gone absolutely crazy to the point I had to go to an emergency GP last night. Has anyone had this happen?

Mines gone erythrodermic on 2 occasions & I spent weeks in hospital each time. 2nd time I actually couldn't walk. I was moved around the hospital in a wheelchair.

Biologics since early 2014 has me 100% clear though & has opened up a completely different life to me having has psoriasis from a very early age.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’ve had a reaction to an antibiotic and my psoriasis is gone absolutely crazy to the point I had to go to an emergency GP last night. Has anyone had this happen?

Never had this happen to me, or even heard of it happening!

Hope the effects don't last too long for you buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Took mine Monday. Interested to know the dermatologists view on it and the virus also. I can only assume it wouldn't be ideal for us to get the virus.

Being switched to yet another new drug and as part of that, I'm having to get a yellow fever (I live overseas) and flu shot. These drugs lower your immune system...I can't imagine that it's ideal where Corona is concerned.

• Advertisement

I didn't get the flu shot for the last two winters.

Saying that, december just gone i did end up with a touch of the flu for almost a week, and it wasn't nice, but i must say it wasn't any worse than i remember it being, before i was immunosupressed.

Never had this happen to me, or even heard of it happening!

Hope the effects don't last too long for you buddy.

I’m not sure what to do really

Did the GP give any advice last night? other than let the antibiotics run it's course?

Did the GP give any advice last night? other than let the antibiotics run it's course?

She just said stop taking the antibiotic and gave me an antihistamine

So after trying methotrexate and acitretin, I'm about to start Guselkumab. Does anyone have any experience of this drug?

(I just looked it up and it comes at a price of $11,200/100mg :eek: ...who could pay for this stuff outside of insurance? ).

So after trying methotrexate and acitretin, I'm about to start Guselkumab. Does anyone have any experience of this drug?

(I just looked it up and it comes at a price of $11,200/100mg :eek: ...who could pay for this stuff outside of insurance? ).

That’s the newer version of stelara, made by Jensen. Gets great results.

Best of luck with it

Tremfya is the name of the stuff. I’m supposed to be going on it next as my stelara has stopped working.

The drug payment scheme helps pay for it. Thank god!

Really struggling today. Can’t get on top of this breakout. Have heard of tonsillitis causing Psoriasis but I don’t know what to do. Going to see my own a GP on Monday and take it from there

Really struggling today. Can’t get on top of this breakout. Have heard of tonsillitis causing Psoriasis but I don’t know what to do.
    I have read the antibiotics can kill off your gut bacteria and bad ones can take over. So people were advising to take probiotics after and antibiotics -of course discuss this with your doctor.

I was prescribed enstilar which is quite expensive.

Does this fall under any sort of scheme to get money off/back?

I remember getting antibiotics years ago and prescribed 2 courses which meant the price was above some limit and you could use a card which was readily available (not a medical card)

I think it was this card
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/drugs_payment_scheme.html

I don't think I can as I do not see it on this list (I know it would not be listed as enstilar)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/generics/ref/

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I was prescribed enstilar which is quite expensive.

Does this fall under any sort of scheme to get money off/back?

I remember getting antibiotics years ago and prescribed 2 courses which meant the price was above some limit and you could use a card which was readily available (not a medical card)

I think it was this card
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/drugs_payment_scheme.html

I don't think I can as I do not see it on this list (I know it would not be listed as enstilar)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/generics/ref/

The maximum you should have to pay is €124 per month. You then get 20% back of that at the end of the year assuming you are working and paying tax

rubadub wrote: »
    I have read the antibiotics can kill off your gut bacteria and bad ones can take over. So people were advising to take probiotics after and antibiotics -of course discuss this with your doctor.

I've also read that this can be a trigger for people who develop it out of nowhere. Friend of mine is adamant from his research that it was an antibiotic that triggered his.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Any word from a medical practioner re taking stelara and the impact of the ol Corona bug?

I got a phone call from the nurse at the dermatology department in one of the hospitals in Cork. They said that they wanted to show me how to inject the Tremfya, I thought I might get away with it considering I’ve been on Humira and Stelara but no... I have to head in.

No mention of the corona virus...I need to ring them again to arrange an appointment, I will bring it up them then.

Very disappointed with the handling of this by my dermatologist. A text or phone call advising what to do wouldn’t go astray. I’m seeing her next week anyways - 120€ - I suppose that’s why I’m not getting the text.

Any word from a medical practioner re taking stelara and the impact of the ol Corona bug?

I’m nervous about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Has anyone experienced swelling of a foot and part of their leg before ? My feet get really bad with psoriasis and now my left foot and part of my leg is quite inflamed. Their is broken skin so i am thinking an infection.

I have called the out of hours service for advice just to be on the safe side. What a time for something like this to happen.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced swelling of a foot and part of their leg before ? My feet get really bad with psoriasis and now my left foot and part of my leg is quite inflamed. Their is broken skin so i am thinking an infection.

I have called the out of hours service for advice just to be on the safe side. What a time for something like this to happen.

Is it hot and red? If so you need to see a doctor as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I've gotten infections on my shin twice like this before. I was given distalor 375mg anti biotics and betnovate cream. I wasn't able to get the cream last time as there was none in ireland. Don't waste any time going to the doctor becuase the first time I had an infection my leg swelled up very badly.

Is it hot and red? If so you need to see a doctor as soon as possible

It's red but that's normal due to skin healing from previous bouts. It wasn't hot. Anyway i am already home after seeing Doc which i was surprised how quick i got an appointment.

It only really happened after my shower but it has reduced a lot after i kept my leg elevated. I was given a script for antibiotics if it is still the same tomorrow i have to take them.

• Advertisement

I got a call from my dermatologist’s office for me to not take anymore biologics..My appointment for Friday was cancelled too.

Not sure if others got the same advice.

It's red but that's normal due to skin healing from previous bouts. It wasn't hot. Anyway i am already home after seeing Doc which i was surprised how quick i got an appointment.

It only really happened after my shower but it has reduced a lot after i kept my leg elevated. I was given a script for antibiotics if it is still the same tomorrow i have to take them.

See if you can get some strong antihistamines.

brevity wrote: »
    I got a call from my dermatologist’s office for me to not take anymore biologics..My appointment for Friday was cancelled too.

Not sure if others got the same advice.

Did they explicitly state this is due to the Corona Virus?

Did they explicitly state this is due to the Corona Virus?

Yup

I haven't gotten a call from my dermatologist about anything yet.

I took my shot two weeks ago tho, so not due another one for 10 weeks.

I'm still at work, and dealing with the public, i'm genuinely ****ting myself here.

Stressing yourself about the unknown wont help. Im also working with the public, just gotta take it easy and take each day as it comes

• Advertisement

If I was worried I would be wearing a mask -using it properly. There is talk of masks being useless or actually worse than useless but you have to look up why that is -they presume the majority do not know how to use them correctly and so will be a danger to themselves. Its like generic advice like "don't run with scissors".

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

if it was really true that they were useless or worse than useless then why the hell do I see all medical staff invariably using them in any media videos. I was at the doctors recently and surprised to see none wearing and little protection going on, the surgery is since closed and 2 doctors were infected and one of their wives.

From my head to shins is basically clear now. Red marks nearly gone too. My hands which were so bad have cleared to 'normal' skin colour apart from a few little cracks between thumb and index fnger which causes much pain when applying hand gel lol.

My feet are still bad. It's like a feeling of walking on broken glass if that makes sense, all the pressure points and out side and insole hurting. And still some swelling on my left foot and ankle but not as bad as a few day's ago.

Just have to keep trying different methods for my feet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Meant to go to the hospital Tuesday to start light treatment, not sure if it's wise for me to be going to a hospital three times a week for the foreseeable future

I'm wondering if I'd be better getting a home kit instead

siblers wrote: »
    Meant to go to the hospital Tuesday to start light treatment, not sure if it's wise for me to be going to a hospital three times a week for the foreseeable future

I strongly advise against that. UV treatment in hospital is prescribed specifically for you whereas if you do it yourself you run the risk of deadly skin cancer

siblers wrote: »
    I have been using mine more now that I am stuck inside. Also cut hair closer so I can apply creams better. I am thinking of getting a bigger light, the bulbs can be bought separately and put into light fittings that use the same style of bulb.

I was at a GP over a different matter and he was asking if I had gotten light therapy, I said I have my own light and it worked well and he didn't bat an eyelid, I was sure he was going to rattle off at least some warnings about being burnt badly.

As people are not always responsive I still wonder why you do not see them giving lights to try out yourself before organising a hospital treatment. Or GPs could have a light and apply it to you in their office in just 1 spot if they were worried.

There were LED units on the market recently enough, I wonder if there is any advance on them, they were expensive and needed a longer dose time.
    run the risk of deadly skin cancer
    Nothing I have read has me worried about this at all. All the home units are narrowband UVB.

If anybody has any article on the dangers cancer for home narrowband UVB treatment I would like to see them. Pretty sure I asked before and got none, possibly just links to PUVA or broadband UVB.

Obviously there is a risk of sunburn, people here got badly burnt in hospital too, and a risk to the eyes, but I know that and am asking about cancer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement