Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding photographers- looking for some advice please

• 23-10-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've done a handful of weddings- some photos here. (I know I've way too many photos there, need to cut)

I'm comfortable & confident with it. I'd like to get into wedding photography more seriously (not full time at the moment) and looking for any advice from full-time pros please.

My plan is to buy a good flash and learn how to use it best at weddings, shoot some more as a 2nd photographer, fine tune anything (e.g. where exactly people should place their hands).
    There's wedding photography courses out there but my thoughts are that there's no need for one- (not being cocky, just wondering how much I'd learn, getting the experience would be the main thing I think). I could be totally wrong though.

So if there's any pros out there who shoot weddings what would your advice be; both in general and also re doing a course.

I don't think wedding photograph is a breeze, know you have to pay tax, meet couple several times etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Sorry to be so blunt but this post tells me you are nowhere near ready. As does the stuff on your website.

Do the course. And I'd start with the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CinSoots wrote: »
    Sorry to be so blunt but this post tells me you are nowhere near ready. As does the stuff on your website.

Do the course. And I'd start with the basics.
    I don't mind blunt by I don't make the connection between a not great horse shot and wedding-photography.
    Any more depth about 'the stiff on your website' - do you mean all photos in general or my wedding photos? I know some of the wedding photos are soft.

The "not great horse shot" is the first photo that shows up on your website so you obviously think its good? If you don't know what a good, well composed photograph is then what hope have you with photographing someone's wedding? That's what it has to do with wedding photography.

I only looked at your wedding gallery and compositionally they are poor. Some of them are also not exposed correctly. If they are soft then they are out of focus and should be deleted.

Learn the basics first and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The Horse shot is terrible but far more telling is out of the 30 wedding pics I looked at virtually all were soft and noisy and def processing poor, wedding pics for the main have to be pin sharp.
    #2 is an example, the clock is more in focus than the bride.
    #48 is so full of noise and soft

A few are even not straight at all #31
    and the left hand pic on #26
    The only plus is composition is okish (#6 is an example, good composition but soft and noisy and the BW treatment is so poor)

This is going to hurt but I've always thought you thought more highly of your pics than what they actually were.

I've photographed 7-8 weddings (only for friends who knew my skill level) and it is a highly skilled thing to do that encompasses many things and I still can't get where I want to be.

The Horse shot is terrible but far more telling is out of the 30 wedding pics I looked at virtually all were soft and noisy and def processing poor, wedding pics for the main have to be pin sharp.
    #2 is an example, the clock is more in focus than the bride.
    #48 is so full of noise and soft

A few are even not straight at all #31
    and the left hand pic on #26
    The only plus is composition is okish (#6 is an example, good composition but soft and noisy and the BW treatment is so poor)

This is going to hurt but I've always thought you thought more highly of your pics than what they actually were.

I've photographed 7-8 weddings (only for friends who knew my skill level) and it is a highly skilled thing to do that encompasses many things and I still can't get where I want to be.

Cheers; I don't mind honest feedback, it can help.
    I've looked through my wedding gallery again and it's true that a lot are soft. I've posted too many candid photos, which I was knew weren't perfectly sharp but captured the moment nicely so included them (e.g. bride and clock). I've removed many of them from my gallery.

I like candid wedding photos more than group/staged photos but I should include more of the latter; normally they're sharper, you have more time to organise them etc.

I've only shot weddings for friends, family & colleagues & got great feedback. Then again you're not going to get bad feedback, in general, especially when you know the people. So some honest feedback is a good thing.

I'v only started using Lightroom and shooting in RAW recently. That should help somewhat. Also I haven't been using a flash, again that'd help (once I get to grips with it). I've removed the text offering my services as a wedding photographer and will maybe consider it again in the future. I guess a course where I could learn some bits, ask questions, get feedback etc. would help too.

Thanks.
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of the comments above, if I had one thing to add it would be this: be consistent. The thing that jumped out from that wedding set for me was that it was a jumble of different styles. There were a bunch of differently toned colour stuff, some contrasty B&W some not so contrasty, I think there was even a sepia tossed in there for good measure. I'd work toward establishing a particular style you're comfortable with and stick to it.

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of the comments above, if I had one thing to add it would be this: be consistent. The thing that jumped out from that wedding set for me was that it was a jumble of different styles. There were a bunch of differently toned colour stuff, some contrasty B&W some not so contrasty, I think there was even a sepia tossed in there for good measure. I'd work toward establishing a particular style you're comfortable with and stick to it.

That's true too. I've posted photos before for C&C and noted myself that there's colour, b&w and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

This is what jumped out at me too. If you do want to have a mix - perhaps have them grouped, because I know not all people like B&W etc. but stick to the same type of processing. I think you need a little more contrast in the shots and make more use of light - some shots just seem a little flat. You did mention you are looking to invest in a flash, so that may provide that lift.

On first glance I liked the shots, but on closer inspection they need to be sharper than they are which is a pity. You're on the right track, keep at it!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    This is what jumped out at me too. If you do want to have a mix - perhaps have them grouped, because I know not all people like B&W etc. but stick to the same type of processing. I think you need a little more contrast in the shots and make more use of light - some shots just seem a little flat. You did mention you are looking to invest in a flash, so that may provide that lift.

On first glance I liked the shots, but on closer inspection they need to be sharper than they are which is a pity. You're on the right track, keep at it!

Cheers too. I've grouped the colour and b&w now. Originally I had them grouped by wedding. I'll also look through my photos at home and add some more sharp, grouped/staged photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I've shot weddings for the last 5 years and just finished up last month. I've think I've only ever used a flash once. Shoot wide open with high ISO all the way.

A huge amount of what you do is in post production, with so much to shoot on the day you're trying to capture as much data and footage as possible, as long as your shots as sharp and in focus you can polish them quickly in Lightroom. If you're not using Lightroom get to grips with it will make your job so much easier. The only time I would use PS is if I need to do a tricky cloning or composite, but when you get used to it you will be thinking of avoiding all that work when you're shooting

From your (the photographer) point of view weddings are generally predicable events with the same running order. The main thing you will have to contend with is the weather and also in some case managing peoples expectations. in terms of the weather you 'should' know 2 days out what it going to be like so you're already ahead of the game and have that covered.

Remember a lot of the best natural looking photos are can be staged or directed

Browse this forum for some good inspiration and ideas

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48

Educate yourself, browse forums, research, research, research, get inspired.

Remember you're not going to be judged by photographers or a panel of judges it's the bride and groom who want memories of their day that you have to please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I have to say you've got very candid feedback ... fairly raw and hard hitting ... felt a bit for you tbh ... but I'd have to say people have given honest opinions and have offered constructive advice. But you've taken it SO well... fair dues. It's a great advertisement for how to take C&C once you've asked for it and it's been given honestly. I'd have been too busy crying under the bed to get back to people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

I've shadowed a few wedding togs, and it is a daunting job. You need experience and confidence, as well as good inter-personal skills. It is not something I'd step easily into.

You do have a good eye for detail, but as others say, you need to brush up technically and with post-processing.

In summary, you need to be able to control the following without hesitation:

- setting exposures compensations for indoors and outdoors, high and low contrast conditions
    - the use of flash versus natural light, especially balancing these on a continuous basis (i find this particularly hard)
    - selecting DoF/apertures to suit the scene
    - use of natural light, including how to deal with high contrast and sunlight conditions
    - the use of direct and indirect lighting
    - composition and the use of space
    - a system of processing (e.g. rotation, crop, WB, EXP, Sats, FX (e.g. vignetting), selective sharpening)

For people photography, I also agree with the "defining moment", a particularly important moment in capturing the essence, atmosphere or character of the subjects.

The pros are paid to have all of these skills, so I'd suggest finding a course, get a good book and/or find every opportunity to shoot in challenging environments. Having a good knowledge of your camera and a load of experience will get you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Jeez......... my daughter is having a civil partnership next Friday and she is expecting me to take the shots........ I have informed her that I am very much a novice....... don't do flash..... not a people shot person........ she's not listening..... but my excuses are well laid out. The whole event is in the hotel.... just trying my best to keep her expectations low to middle at best :(
    She has another friend coming later to take shots............ hopefully she will get some good ones !

Any advice............... and don't say "pull a sicky" :D

PS
    Well done Pa on dealing with the C&C...... a good man will always hold his hand up...fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Pa, I'm not going to rehash what other have said. There were valid points about softness and exposure etc.

My comment is about the black and white shots. if you're doing to convert to black and white, especially portraits/people, make sure you have decent contrast in their faces. i.e the light should be directional. Taking the example of the shot with the bride with the clock in the wall, the light is *very* flat and it's underexposed. A bit of subtle flash bounced over your shoulder would have fixed this (probably).

Hope that's of some use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers; I don't mind honest feedback, it can help.
    I've looked through my wedding gallery again and it's true that a lot are soft. I've posted too many candid photos, which I was knew weren't perfectly sharp but captured the moment nicely so included them (e.g. bride and clock). I've removed many of them from my gallery.

I like candid wedding photos more than group/staged photos but I should include more of the latter; normally they're sharper, you have more time to organise them etc.

I've only shot weddings for friends, family & colleagues & got great feedback. Then again you're not going to get bad feedback, in general, especially when you know the people. So some honest feedback is a good thing.

I'v only started using Lightroom and shooting in RAW recently. That should help somewhat. Also I haven't been using a flash, again that'd help (once I get to grips with it). I've removed the text offering my services as a wedding photographer and will maybe consider it again in the future. I guess a course where I could learn some bits, ask questions, get feedback etc. would help too.

Thanks.
    Pa.

Those are alarm bells to me.

First off - If you can't capture the majority of your candid shots perfectly sharp, there's a problem. It's either your gear holding you back, not knowing how to use the gear or you being too slow. From what I can see, your K5-II can go up to 51,200 ISO and you have a lot of fast lenses. I don't know exactly where the root of the issue is - but there is a serious problem there.

Organised shots and candids should be equally spot on tack sharp. That you think otherwise is worrisome.

The other thing that's really bothered me looking at the pictures on your website is that most aren't straight.

That you haven't been shooting RAW and are only starting to use Lightroom is a huge red flag in itself though. Inexperience and weddings don't really go hand in hand.

secman wrote: »
    Jeez......... my daughter is having a civil partnership next Friday and she is expecting me to take the shots........
    I'll shoot it for you! On second thoughts give me a year or so and I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Some great tips and advice here. I'm a former wedding photographer, did about two dozen weddings over the course of two years or so. For anyone thinking about a career in wedding photography..... it's a tough, tough business. My wedding business was starting to take off but I just couldn't see myself trying to shoot 50+ weddings a year just to make a living... I work mainly in video now, and although I've had long days in challenging conditions at times, I've never worked as hard as when photographing a wedding.... I take my hat off to anyone out there shooting weddings year in, year out. It's a job that requires serious stamina and work ethic.

All that aside, I did enjoy some aspects of it (although at least once every wedding I used to say "never again!!").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My plan is to buy a good flash and learn how to use it best at weddings, shoot some more as a 2nd photographer, fine tune anything (e.g. where exactly people should place their hands).
    On this; buy a better lens, one that can take in more light. Couples generally want you to record their day, not to constantly illuminate the venue. Also, the priest may not appreciate being blinded. Have never been at a wedding where the main photographer has used flash (although I used to use it myself).

Oh, and only shoot RAW. You can alter RAW, but you won't be able to alter JPEG as easy.
    Jeez......... my daughter is having a civil partnership next Friday and she is expecting me to take the shots........ I have informed her that I am very much a novice
    What sort of camera do you have, and do you only have the stock lens? Would advise you to check out the venue when there's no-one in it, bring a guinea pig volunteer, your camera, and a notepad, and take some sample photos at different settings. Although you can fiddle with photoshop at a later stage, it's better to get the light setting right first time. The volunteer would stand where your daughter stands, and you take photos.

Also, scout a scenic place nearby that you can bring them and one or two people, to take a few photos of their special day (in normal weddings and humanist weddings that I've been to, the photographer has done this).

the_syco wrote: »
    On this; buy a better lens, one that can take in more light.
    Pentax K-5ii DSLR and Pentax K-7 as a backup
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8
    Tamron 18-55 f2.8 lens
    Pentax 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens

Judging by the gear list on the website, I don't think equipment is the problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Wedding photography. You have to love doing it. And I mean really love it.

• Advertisement

Quote "What sort of camera do you have, and do you only have the stock lens? Would advise you to check out the venue when there's no-one in it, bring a guinea pig volunteer, your camera, and a notepad, and take some sample photos at different settings. Although you can fiddle with
    photoshop at a later stage, it's better to get the light setting right first time. The volunteer would stand where your daughter stands, and you take photos.

Also, scout a scenic place nearby that you can bring them and one or two people, to take a few photos of their special day (in normal weddings and humanist weddings that I've been to, the photographer has done this).[/quote]

Nikon d7000
    18 - 105 kit lens 3.5 to -5.6
    35 mm 1.8
    55-300 zoom 4.5 to 5.6
    sigma 10-20 4 to 5.6
    Sb 700 gun
    sb 800 gun

I will be in the venue from early morning so I will take your advice and grab myself a volunteer and a note pad

and seriously, hats of to wedding togs .

Flash... To have or not to have?
    I know in the church you can't normally use one. I haven't and haven't missed it mostly. But I'm sure it can be helpful at times.
    Do any people here who have shot weddings use flash? Id imagine at the receptuon/indoor with poor lightning be helpful.

For me, I think my action should be:
    Learn & use LR. Better pp, more pop, straighten photos etc.
    Shoot RAW
    Do a wedding photo course- know properly about group shots, positioning, where people place hands
    Figure out why so many shots are soft, could be as simple as (mainly) too slow shutter speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I know in the church you can't normally use one. I haven't and haven't missed it mostly. But I'm sure it can be helpful at times.
    Do any people here who have shot weddings use flash? Id imagine at the receptuon/indoor with poor lightning be helpful.

Shoot RAW
    Do a wedding photo course- know properly about group shots, positioning, where people place hands
    Figure out why so many shots are soft, could be as simple as (mainly) too slow shutter speed.

What mode are you shooting in at the moment? (Aperture priority/manual?)

Cork_girl wrote: »
    What mode are you shooting in at the moment? (Aperture priority/manual?)

Either manual, aperture with keeping an eye on the daughter speed or shutter sometimes.

Shoot RAW

You don't need any of this at the moment. What you need is to understand the simple basics of exposure and camera operation first.

If you don't know why a pic is soft or if you don't know whether you need a flash or not at a wedding then all the LR, shooting RAW and wedding courses in the world are not going to help you.

Look at other wedding photographers work that you like and try and compare them with you. If you seriously cant see much of a difference between your pics and what an experienced professional photographer that you admire produces then throw away your cameras immediately. If you do see a difference then learn why they are different and what you can do to try and make yours better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Jeez......... my daughter is having a civil partnership next Friday and she is expecting me to take the shots........

Am I the only one who is thinking this? Not from a technical point of view, I dont know how good bad or in different your pictures are. I would strongly advise against this.
    This is your daughter's wedding. How often will that happen and you want to be worrying about getting good pictures? You'll miss the moment and be stressed out.
    Probably too late but, Cant you find someone else to do this? A friends wedding sure, but I just think...this is your daughter.

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is thinking this? Not from a technical point of view, I dont know how good bad or in different your pictures are. I would strongly advise against this.
    This is your daughter's wedding. How often will that happen and you want to be worrying about getting good pictures? You'll miss the moment and be stressed out.
    Probably too late but, Cant you find someone else to do this? A friends wedding sure, but I just think...this is your daughter.

I am singing off the same hymn sheet as you. There is nothing conventional about the whole event. Its a same sex civil partnership and trust me we have absolutely no issues in that respect. We have a gorgeous grandson and they are together a long time now. They only decided in late July that they were getting hitched on 31st October and we presumed 2015 !. We have had very little input into the planning and neither have the parent in laws. The happy couple are more excited about the Halloween party on afterwards ! They are not having bride maids, neither are walking up the aisle, neither mothers have seen the dress ! As you are probably deducing , it has been frustrating from a parents point. ... but we have to go with the flow...it's what they want for their day.

So here we are........ it is far from ideal for me , but I am trying to do my best here, there are a few guys in the camera club who shhot weddings and would have no problem, but I only realised late in the day that no tog was booked. And it being on a Friday , these guys have jobs.

For what its worth I shoot raw and mainly on aperture priority, try manual now and again but not experienced enough or more to the point knowledgeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Apart from what everyone else has said above, you need to learn not to cut off body parts eg hands/feet. Either keep them in or re-compose a tighter shot that doesn't need them, but never cut them in half.

Soft focus seems to be a consistent problem, learn how to focus at wide apertures in low light on static objects at home. You can shoot any file format you like, but if it's soft it's only good for the recycle bin.

Fair play on taking the feedback so well though, stick at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I know feck all about wedding photography, but having a look through some of your examples I noticed they were taken in shutter priority at 1/60 or 1/80. I would have thought that aperture priority would give you better control over the shots?

I don't know about the K5 but my D7000 has auto ISO setting that allows you to set a slow shutter speed limit that once reached will boost the ISO to compensate, leaving you free to concentrate on focus and depth of field in aperture priority. Could be talking nonsense here, but I found it really helped me with soft shots in tricky or changing lighting.

• Advertisement

In my opinion, you really just need to know Manual inside out. You need to be able to change settings instantly to suit new surroundings or to get different effects (but mostly to suit new surroundings/lighting, as during the course of a wedding, you can be sure you'll be indoors, outdoors, the church will have blinding sunlight on top of the bride, then a cloud will come and it's darkness, then at the reception the lights are on for the speeches and off for the band, etc.).

Once you get handy with just knowing that, I think you are off to a good start. After that it's all just people skills. I've seen loads of wedding albums were I'd be personally embarrassed to hand over such poor quality photos, but yet the bride and groom were delighted with them.

Dinneenp, stick your head down to your local Civil Ceremony venue (most likely a hotel in the area). Ask them to recommend you to one or two people who are getting married, and cover their ceremonies as a freebie. A lot of people at civil ceremonies either can't afford, or can't justify, a photographer, so they don't bother.

Local hotel in Drogheda sees a lot of civil ceremonies and although I've shot a handful of them, I know the majority have no photographer. If you're up front and honest about your position (looking to get experience having never shot one before) then you will likely get a few of those under your belt fairly swiftly.

(I should also point out that I don't view myself as a great photographer at all, I'd be fairly middle-of-the-road, myself, but I'm good at interacting with people and witty enough that I can make people laugh at silly things when I first meet them. I think this also has a lot to do with getting people to book you (for anything, not just weddings). But Im also very up-front and I show people photos that I think aren't great, along with the ones I do like. Theres a lot to be said for honesty, and I think the Brides and Grooms of the world appreciate an honest insight into what they're about to pay for :) )

Dinneenp, stick your head down to your local Civil Ceremony venue (most likely a hotel in the area). Ask them to recommend you to one or two people who are getting married, and cover their ceremonies as a freebie. A lot of people at civil ceremonies either can't afford, or can't justify, a photographer, so they don't bother.

I wouldn't do this without first having a look at the venue used. You can very easily back yourself into a corner and end up not able to deliver or with bad photos. Civil venues in hotels tend to be a suite (aka. medium-big room with chairs). They're usually very well laid out and have a nice ambiance for the ceremony, but not so good if you're a photographer looking for a vantage point.

The reality is the rooms are often poorly lit ("mood lighting" meaning dark-ish with spot lights and coloured lights all over the place), the equivalent of an alter is stuck right at the top of the room, so even with a wide-angle you'll be on top of the registrar trying to take the important photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

On the side I go out to people's houses taking family studio shots and then do some candid pictures as much as possible. I've been doing this for close to 10 years and everybody says my work is great, " do you do weddings " not a hope in hell !!!!,!!
    I've seen a lot of my friends wedding pictures and I cringe . It amazes me how many people class themselves as wedding photographers. Or even photographers in general .

I'm honest enough to say I'm not good enough to do weddings, I don't have good enough lenses to do weddings . I don't believe it's even anything to do with equipment but you would still need it I suppose.
    Weddings are really important . Super super important . People don't take them half serious enough . Well from what I've seen over the years they don't anyway .

I wouldn't do this without first having a look at the venue used. You can very easily back yourself into a corner and end up not able to deliver or with bad photos. Civil venues in hotels tend to be a suite (aka. medium-big room with chairs). They're usually very well laid out and have a nice ambiance for the ceremony, but not so good if you're a photographer looking for a vantage point.

The reality is the rooms are often poorly lit ("mood lighting" meaning dark-ish with spot lights and coloured lights all over the place), the equivalent of an alter is stuck right at the top of the room, so even with a wide-angle you'll be on top of the registrar trying to take the important photos.

You've pretty accurately described 90% of the Civil Ceremony venues in Ireland, I'd say, alright :D

But what other way is there to learn. I've never had a Registrar give out to me, but then I do tend to follow a fairly simple 'triangle' movement.

I start off behind the table/alter at the left (to get the brides face), move to the centre of the aisle for the vows (when the two are facing each other) and then return back to the desk/alter, but on the other side this time, to get the groom's face.

It usually works, and if you say it to the registrar in advance they usually dont mind (I've yet to meet one that complained about it, anyway.. admittedly, that could be just sheer luck).

I find that so long as you're not belting out flashes every three seconds, blinding them, the registrars are usually quite nice to you. Manners and respect go a long way, in my experience. :)

I'd say Dinneenp would make a fairly major mistake on his first ceremony. Then for the second one, he'd be over-thinking so much about the first mistake, that he'd make another tragic mistake instead cos he wasn't paying attention.

For the third one, the same again, etc. etc. until he's become suitably paranoid enough that it's all just second nature... after that.. You're flyin' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

Hi Patrick,

i've been following the thread and i might have a thing or two that might help you-- hope it's taken in good faith, as i'm far from being an expert to come up with "dos" or "don'ts" -- what i'll be covering is stuff i did that worked really well for me, and might be of some help for you too

i started by trying to get accepted in a stock-photography website-- the reasoning behind it is that if chose one with strict lines of acceptance, then i achieved a certain level of technique that gets most of the fundamentals covered-- never mind the fact that, when you post something for critique, you get absolutely mauled to the ground by unscrupulous people that don't throw stuff like "that doesn't work for me" but nailed it down to the most technical aspects ( in fairness, they have portfolios with a few hundred thousand accepted photos ) - you seem to have a really good skin to take critiques so i'd say go for it-- it hurts for a while, but your learning curve goes up exponentially every time you decide to take a beating

i started with these tutorials : decent exposure, shadows, white balance, lighting, focus, noise and compression and (last, but not least) snapshots to good-shots -- i made PDF versions of these manuals and made a book-- it replaced every other reading material ( no more sudoko while pooping, nor PvZ while flying, no "The life of [insert metal dude here]" while stuck on the bus to anywhere, no fb during lunch break... you get the drift )

i didn't study this to death-- i just read it and experiment when possible-- by the time i reached the end of the book, i move the marker back to the front and get back to it again-- i found out that every time i'd come back to the front of the bock and re-start, i would pick up something more and something different...

... the other thing i did was to never put the camera back in the back anymore, unless i'm transporting it somewhere-- i keep my batteries charged, keep the camera back ready ( with batteries and cables set and ready ), the second bag ready ( with tripods, stands, extra cheap-flashes and umbrellas and hot-shoes )...

the reason why the camera is part of my desk and, subsequently, my hand, it's because i replaced whatever playlist i have on VLC for 2 videos: Zack Arias Workshop and ( recently ) OneLight 2.0 -- i do throw "Big Bang Theory" or "Game of Thrones" on the 'next video to watch' but it goes back to repeat on those other 2 dvds -- if i've to watch something while working on photography/video, might as well be something that is teaching me something... and, boy, you learn a lot by watching those videos-- gear-video from OneLight is playing at the moment

my old drummer teacher said to me once "you've the weirdest approach to drumming i've ever seen, without even going into the right-foot-kick/right-hand-snare/left-handed-scale-- but, whatever you do, keep doing it your way-- someone will appreciate your style and will understand it and you'll fit in" -- i was never hired :( however, and what i take from that lesson, is that any form of art is exactly that: a form of art-- and you keep doing whatever your doing your way and someone, somewhere will understand and will enjoy and will hire you-- for every 20 ( or 57 ) people that don't like my style, i get that single one that does like, and ( surprisingly ) pays -- i can guarantee you there's very little things that can top that : that feeling when you're doing something and someone loves it, the hell with the rest of world that 'doesn't quite get it'

i hope the above essay isn't too off from the thread-- and, I hope you'll find some help on the manuals i've linked and the videos i posted-- there's plenty other sources around nowadays, but these ones worked really well for me...

on last note, i want to share the gear i carry on my photo-bag, which is still far from having myself reaching their potential, but that i always think it's essential for whatever situation, even if a bag is left in the car :

bag 1 :

1x nikon d3100 ( with grip, youngnou trigger )
    2x battery packs
    1x sigma f2.8 24-70
    1x sigma f2.8 70-200
    1x sb-910 ( with youngnou trigger )
    1x youngnou 560 ( with youngnou trigger )

bag 2 :

1x tripod
    2x light-stand ( with shoes )
    2x 6'' umbrellas ( white / reflector )
    2x 24'' umbrellas ( white / reflector )
    nx battery packs ( aa / aaa / cr2 )

... i hope all the above is within thread and it can help in some way-- i wish you all the best and hope to see some really cool stuff posted !

These are some photos from my sister in-laws wedding that I shot in September. So no advice or tips from this thread were taken on board as I created this thread after her wedding...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I agree with the previous posts. You have something, but you are lacking the training to get a decent photo. As well maybe you dont know how to use your camera?

Advertisement