Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for an excavation to be done...

Options
  • 07-07-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

ill post more here tomorrow in this but how could I go about getting an excavation carried out on land thats not mine. this will be a long story and on mobile now so cant type it all. lots of significant finds by locals. its a rath.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    ill post more here tomorrow in this but how could I go about getting an excavation carried out on land thats not mine. this will be a long story and on mobile now so cant type it all. lots of significant finds by locals. its a rath.
    Why are locals making lots of significant finds? Has something happened to the site?
    If so, any damage or alterations to a national monument must be reported to the National Monuments Service in the first instance. They will determine whether or not a rescue excavation is required.
    Excavations can only be undertaken by licensed archaeologists and the funds required can be substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

I'm to Irish Archaeology - been a commercial archaeologist in UK for nearly 10 years. Moving to Ireland at the end of this month because my other half has a sensible job and we follow his work not mine! Have been lurking for a little while trying to pick up some of the differences between British and Irish legislation.

Would it not be sensible to contact commercial units local to your area and/or academic archaeologists with an interest in Raths / Ringforts? Generally over here advice is free...? In my book, excavation would be a last resort. Full survey (inc geophys if you are prepared to pay for it) and mapping of the distribution of artefact scatters would be the best place to start. You might be amazed what you can find out just from that, with the advantage that it's noninvasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

slowburner wrote: »
    Why are locals making lots of significant finds? Has something happened to the site?
    If so, any damage or alterations to a national monument must be reported to the National Monuments Service in the first instance. They will determine whether or not a rescue excavation is required.
    Excavations can only be undertaken by licensed archaeologists and the funds required can be substantial.

Okay so here goes,

Where I am from near Birr Co. Offaly and across the road from the house is basically a huge wood with mounds and trenches in it. 5 mounds over 5ft tall at least. I studied archaeology as part of a module during my degree and did a mini thesis on the rath as part of a project and it turns out that the place is much more than what is actually thought of. About 80 years ago cottages were built across the road from it and a lane way was built separating the monument from the houses- the lane way itself is about 10 ft from the actual site. There is a gated off this lane to go into the field and into the wood. My dad remembers the mounds being so high when he was small that the needed to help each other up them (they would all have been big men) and the trees used be so big two people couldn't get their arms around them. growing up to me the mounds were always huge too. My grandad had a great love of ancient irish history like i did and measured the mounds to be over 6ft in his time, he died in the late 60s and his work was thrown in the back of an attic until I found it. He has documented finds from locals which include swords, jewellery, keys (huge ones), bones, a dagger and much more. He never said who had found them or what had happened, only for the fact that the sword that was found was returned to the fort and reburied because of the bad luck a young fella had got from it.

The significance to my family is that our house I believe is built on the fort also. When the cottage was being built there was a stone taken from the fort with markings on it and used as a foundation stone in our house, it's right under one of the bedrooms and as you can imagine, this has brought a fair amount of activity to the house itself. Over the years there have been stories about things that have been seen inside and outside of the house and since my granny passed away 20 years ago, nobody has been able to stay inside the house the first week of november with the stuff that goes on. Thats a whole other story.

There is a little ring fort just beside it where locals say unbaptised babies were buried for years in the 1700s onwards because it was believed to be the place where the original site of Birr would have been and also the home of St. Brendans first church. The Fadden Psalter was found about 4km away as the crow flies.

My aunt has a field at the back of her house that has a hill in it also but i believe this to be an outer mound and one of many which was probably flattened during construction of the lane/road and houses. All the mounds inside the fort are now about 1/3 the size they were and they are slowly slipping because the roots of the tiny trees there now cannot keep the soil together.

the place is truly beautiful and theres nothing I love to do more than go in and chill out there on the centre mound for an hour or two when I'm down there. The original farmer had all the trees cut down and now the farmer who owns the land lets the sheep crawl all over it (there is no grass cover really in there at all) and there has been stuff dumped on it.

I think its also fitting to mention, in areas around the fort by the mounds you can literally jump off them and you will here a deep echo. There are 3 underground tunnels, one goes to a similar fort in lorrha/rathcabbin, one to the nearby bog and one to birr castle. This is all local knowledge and I believe that about 30 years ago the tunnel was opened by two locals and closed again when the gardai got hold of them. something about the gases built up inside being extremely dangerous.

The of the fort is and is an unexcavated national monument. no sign post leads to it, nobody knows it is there only the farmer that owns the land and the neighbours. It has been mentioned in the Annals as far as I know, and a few more places. I have been onto the archaeologists in UCC about it but I really think it needs to be looked at. By the way, I believe a Garda bought land next to it years ago and built a huge house on it, its about 40ft maybe less from the main mound, the mounds actually run into his garden. I remember briefly reading a paper saying the area had significant links to with Teamhair, Ttlachtga (not sure if this is even a place, I just had the name written down) or somewhere else from stuff I was able to get in libraries in Dublin etc.

I don't know exactly why, I feel so passionate about this place, since I could walk my Dad used say, I would spend all night and all day out there when we were down at the house. I'd just sit in there are stare up at the sky. I just feel something is there and is undiscovered and could be a fantastic find.

I have pictures here somewhere that I'll try attach.

Has anyone advice? I used to have dreams of me going in there with a shovel! and I know my family are itching to find out whats underneath JUST because it has such strong ties to the actual house.

Archaeoliz wrote: »
    I'm to Irish Archaeology - been a commercial archaeologist in UK for nearly 10 years. Moving to Ireland at the end of this month because my other half has a sensible job and we follow his work not mine! Have been lurking for a little while trying to pick up some of the differences between British and Irish legislation.

Would it not be sensible to contact commercial units local to your area and/or academic archaeologists with an interest in Raths / Ringforts? Generally over here advice is free...? In my book, excavation would be a last resort. Full survey (inc geophys if you are prepared to pay for it) and mapping of the distribution of artefact scatters would be the best place to start. You might be amazed what you can find out just from that, with the advantage that it's noninvasive.

I wish I could have been an archaeologist, think I've been to every site in Ireland or thereabouts, but my parents insisted that I get a proper job because you just never know with work etc. I regret it everyday!

Here is the pic of it from satellite view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sound advice.
    You are very welcome to Boards and to Ireland. Hopefully you'll be more of a contributor than a lurker when you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

Pinkycharm I admire and understand your passion for this site but it unfortunately is not as simple as just getting an excavation done, off the top of my head here's why, and this is by no means an exhaustive list;

All excavations are licenced/permissioned by the state, in order to get such permission you need a very good reason for an excavation. In this case the objective would be research and you would need a team of professional archaeologists and a lot of money!

Part of the condition of getting permission is proving you have the funds to carry out the work and archaeological excavation is a costly process. To fully excavate a site like this would take years and the costs would likely run into hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions. Not only do you have costs when digging (equipment, staff, insurance etc etc) but everything you find has to be fully researched, written up, published and in the case of artefacts conserved. Post-excavation is extremely important, without it the excavation is pointless and the finds will crumble to dust

Archaeology is a destructive process, to excavate something and find out what lies within and underneath it you have to essentially destroy it, believe me the beauty of your site would be seriously compromised by its excavation.

Excavations on national monuments are really quite rare. Interestingly Tlachtga (a very real and important site in Co Meath) was subject to some research excavation this year. The permission to excavate (only three small trenches on a very big site) was granted following many years of research, funding applications and a very clear research agenda approved by the National Monuments Service. Have a look at the Excavations at Tlachtga facebook page. They would be very interested in hearing about any connection with your site.

I know I am coming across as very negative but unless you have a lot of money and a team of professional archaeologists an excavation is very unlikely to occur.

In terms of your own research, you say a house was built right next to the site, planning permission for that should have had (but might not!) an archaeological condition whereby an archaeologist would have checked the site first for remains. If this did occur a report should have been lodged with National Monuments and you could follow this up and maybe find out more about the site. If you can tell us the name of it or the townland you might find someone who posts here has more information of can point you on the road to finding out more about it.

One thing to mention; you say you would love to go over there with a shovel and do some digging, I urge you not to do that. It is against the law and very destructive. I am sure others will have more to add to what I have said.

I really do admire your passion for the site and wish you well in your research.

Btw I am a professional archaeologist and I wish I had a proper job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

Ok just saw your photo, that's a motte and bailey not a rath. It looks impressive all right, it would be a massive site to excavate!!

mocmo wrote: »
    Pinkycharm I admire and understand your passion for this site but it unfortunately is not as simple as just getting an excavation done, off the top of my head here's why, and this is by no means an exhaustive list;

All excavations are licenced/permissioned by the state, in order to get such permission you need a very good reason for an excavation. In this case the objective would be research and you would need a team of professional archaeologists and a lot of money!

Part of the condition of getting permission is proving you have the funds to carry out the work and archaeological excavation is a costly process. To fully excavate a site like this would take years and the costs would likely run into hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions. Not only do you have costs when digging (equipment, staff, insurance etc etc) but everything you find has to be fully researched, written up, published and in the case of artefacts conserved. Post-excavation is extremely important, without it the excavation is pointless and the finds will crumble to dust

Archaeology is a destructive process, to excavate something and find out what lies within and underneath it you have to essentially destroy it, believe me the beauty of your site would be seriously compromised by its excavation.

Excavations on national monuments are really quite rare. Interestingly Tlachtga (a very real and important site in Co Meath) was subject to some research excavation this year. The permission to excavate (only three small trenches on a very big site) was granted following many years of research, funding applications and a very clear research agenda approved by the National Monuments Service. Have a look at the Excavations at Tlachtga facebook page. They would be very interested in hearing about any connection with your site.

I know I am coming across as very negative but unless you have a lot of money and a team of professional archaeologists an excavation is very unlikely to occur.

In terms of your own research, you say a house was built right next to the site, planning permission for that should have had (but might not!) an archaeological condition whereby an archaeologist would have checked the site first for remains. If this did occur a report should have been lodged with National Monuments and you could follow this up and maybe find out more about the site. If you can tell us the name of it or the townland you might find someone who posts here has more information of can point you on the road to finding out more about it.

One thing to mention; you say you would love to go over there with a shovel and do some digging, I urge you not to do that. It is against the law and very destructive. I am sure others will have more to add to what I have said.

I really do admire your passion for the site and wish you well in your research.

Btw I am a professional archaeologist and I wish I had a proper job! :)

Thanks so much for the reply!! There are actually 2 archaeologists in the family that were going to take it upon themselves and get permission to excavate about 10 years ago but one has since passed and the other wouldnt do the job by himself.

It is an absolute massive site, I will drive down soon and post pics of everything here.

There was no planning permission granted for the cottages, (across the road), because they were houses belonging to workers on a plantation site nearby. the original walls of the house go back to at least 1600 I think. The new build was built there early 80s I believe and anyone in their right mind would have refused the fella permission. the original owner has moved on and house is vacant i think for last 5 years.

It was made a national monument in 1970s I believe but basically all that happened was a fella came out and stuck down the stone with the sign on it and said to the neighbours, nobody was to go near it, that it had great significant importance to the history of ireland and that someone would eventually come and excavate. I can get my hands on pics that people have of stuff found there but they would hate to have to give them up, lots have put them in glass cases etc, I can definitely get my hands on the key that was found.

Its such a shame that its not, I know it might ruin it but it would be great to get its official story from finds, again the history of the hill it is on itself is vast and loads of finds have been made in the gardens of all of the houses as well.

so i guess i have to win the lotto :D

In another life, I think I would have been a great archaeologist!! :D the stories of this place are fascinating! I just wish i could find out more. Unfortunately, my own research can only go so far and just stick to the history books that it is mentioned in.

Even that would be fine just to give a little background on it, I was half thinking of putting up a little board outside it with just a few details by the gate. Local interest is nil though, except for the people on the lane and the young fellas that go drinking in it at night. All we would love is a story.

You could walk in there easily after a shower of rain and pick something up. I picked up a pin before when I was younger but my dad made me put it back- he always said we were under no circumstances to take anything out of there or bring anything inside it.

Just a shame to see that the only crowd enjoying it are the sheep that trample on it! I'm sure the farmer probably gets something for maintenance but definitely doesn't use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Thanks for posting Pinkycharm - really interesting. I live in the general locality and might take a look sometime soon.
    I'm curious, you mention a stone from the mounds / motte & bailey being used for a foundation stone of your family home with markings on it. Have you any more information on the markings?

I know of another place in south tipperary that is also listed as a motte & bailey but also has similar "echo" sounds. So that isn't as crazy as it sounds. Whether there are tunnels as you suggest is another story however. A lot of sites like this have similar folklore attached to them.

Excavation isn't the be all and end all. Sometimes not knowing exactly what something is and speculating on it is half the fun! The trees at the site look to be deciduous and it may be possible that during the winter that a photo taken from a kite or photocopter would be able to shed more light on the site for a very small (relative) amount. A lot of sites are multi-period as well and have been reused. It may be that older mounds were reused by the Normans as a motte and bailey.

It sounds like you also have a lot of information (your Dad's info and your other relation, the archaeologist) and putting that into the public domain may help. However that has to be weighed up against potential looting by metal detectors etc. It might be worth contacting a local historical society or give me a PM and let me know if there is anything I can help with. I'm not an archaeologist either but like yourself I've a strong interest and live locally.

bawn79 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting Pinkycharm - really interesting. I live in the general locality and might take a look sometime soon.
    I'm curious, you mention a stone from the mounds / motte & bailey being used for a foundation stone of your family home with markings on it. Have you any more information on the markings?

I know of another place in south tipperary that is also listed as a motte & bailey but also has similar "echo" sounds. So that isn't as crazy as it sounds. Whether there are tunnels as you suggest is another story however. A lot of sites like this have similar folklore attached to them.

Excavation isn't the be all and end all. Sometimes not knowing exactly what something is and speculating on it is half the fun! The trees at the site look to be deciduous and it may be possible that during the winter that a photo taken from a kite or photocopter would be able to shed more light on the site for a very small (relative) amount. A lot of sites are multi-period as well and have been reused. It may be that older mounds were reused by the Normans as a motte and bailey.

It sounds like you also have a lot of information (your Dad's info and your other relation, the archaeologist) and putting that into the public domain may help. However that has to be weighed up against potential looting by metal detectors etc. It might be worth contacting a local historical society or give me a PM and let me know if there is anything I can help with. I'm not an archaeologist either but like yourself I've a strong interest and live locally.

Just PM'd you! :)

This is the size of the site from the side, if anyone is interested! I should be down there soon, so will be able to get pics, if people would like to see them :D
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.09088,-7.938774,3a,75y,54.91h,80.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKsExUE8FlZATzEs6QqOi6w!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Yes thanks a very interesting story your very lucky to have such history in your "back garden "would love pics of this old reused foundation stone in your house with the inscriptions on it too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

The fact that it's a National Monument makes it even less likely that you'd get permission to excavate, unless in connection with conservation/remediation and/or investigation of damage. You're talking of having to seek Ministerial Consent, which is a lot more of a complex process than a standard Excavation License application.

As others have alluded to, and with the my 22 years' experience (and being a Licensed Archaeologist to boot!), I can fully concur that the cost of excavations would be in the tens of thousands even just for 'a quick peek to see what's inside'.

Advertisement