Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustrated, no one can give me an answer!

Options
  • 16-10-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Last week, I transferred $200 American to my account in the United States via the BOI 365 online.  My charges with BOI are as follows.  I was charged 161.56 Euro to equal $200.  I was then charged a 5 Euro Fee for the conversion.  The problem is that yesterday my transfer arrived in my American Bank account but it was only $168.00.  My Bank in America then charged me a $16 processing fee but this came out of the $168.00, not $200.  My bank in America claims that $168.00 is all that they received in the transfer.  They said that if it should have been more, the problem lies with Bank of Ireland.  I just rang an Agent at BOI 365 who basically told me the same thing!  The BOI Agent blamed it all on my American Bank and said there must be some frees.  She was very nice and I was trying my best not to get angry with her.  But basically now I have money that just up and vanished, it left my account in Ireland and just disappeared and no one seems to be able to give me an answer on either side.  Now it is only $32 American that is missing but the point is that if I need $200 in America, then I need $200 to arrive because it takes to long to sent more money.  Plus if you take the 5 Euro BOI fee which is about 7 or 8 dollars American, add the 16 dollars my American Bank Charged me and then add the missing money, it cost me around $51 or $52 dollars just to transfer $168.  But more importantly than the money, I just want to make sure that in the future, if I send $200 that $200 arrives in America and no one can give me an explanation as to where this money went., Both banks are just pointing their fingers at each other.  So where does that leave me?  Because of this I am now going to have to make another transfer which is costing me more money in fees and that is if all of it arrives in America this time.  Surely there must be something I can do to get to the bottom of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

Your bank in Ireland is in the wrong. They need to make sure 200 USD is transferred if that is what you asked. Any additional fees should be included in the quote. I also doubt any banks charge to receive money.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Ohoopee

In fairness, my bank in America did charge me a $16 fee for receiving the transfer but that came out of the $168, not $200.  $200 never arrived at my bank at any point during the transfer according to my US bank.  I just wish I could get an answer.  If there is some hidden fee fine, Ok.  But please tell me so I can account for it when sending money next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Ohoopee wrote: »
    Last week, I transferred $200 American to my account in the United States via the BOI 365 online.  My charges with BOI are as follows.  I was charged 161.56 Euro to equal $200.  I was then charged a 5 Euro Fee for the conversion.  The problem is that yesterday my transfer arrived in my American Bank account but it was only $168.00.  My Bank in America then charged me a $16 processing fee but this came out of the $168.00, not $200.  My bank in America claims that $168.00 is all that they received in the transfer.  They said that if it should have been more, the problem lies with Bank of Ireland.  I just rang an Agent at BOI 365 who basically told me the same thing!  The BOI Agent blamed it all on my American Bank and said there must be some frees.  She was very nice and I was trying my best not to get angry with her.  But basically now I have money that just up and vanished, it left my account in Ireland and just disappeared and no one seems to be able to give me an answer on either side.  Now it is only $32 American that is missing but the point is that if I need $200 in America, then I need $200 to arrive because it takes to long to sent more money.  Plus if you take the 5 Euro BOI fee which is about 7 or 8 dollars American, add the 16 dollars my American Bank Charged me and then add the missing money, it cost me around $51 or $52 dollars just to transfer $168.  But more importantly than the money, I just want to make sure that in the future, if I send $200 that $200 arrives in America and no one can give me an explanation as to where this money went., Both banks are just pointing their fingers at each other.  So where does that leave me?  Because of this I am now going to have to make another transfer which is costing me more money in fees and that is if all of it arrives in America this time.  Surely there must be something I can do to get to the bottom of this?
    Hi Ohoopee,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service you have received and that the information you received has been conflicting. 

When you make a transfer to the USA, there is a €5 charge as well as a foreign exchange margin. There may be also intermediary bank charges and the payee's bank charges and these would be deducted from the amount received by the payee. The intermediary bank charges may be what was deducted from your transfer in this case. 

We'd be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like us to arrange a call back from our colleagues to explain this further for you. Please send us a Private Message with your name, branch and contact number (there is no need for your account number in the private message).
    Please click on the link in my signature below in order to send a private message to us. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Ohoopee wrote: »
    Hi Ohoopee,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service you have received and that the information you received has been conflicting. 

When you make a transfer to the USA, there is a €5 charge as well as a foreign exchange margin. There may be also intermediary bank charges and the payee's bank charges and these would be deducted from the amount received by the payee. The intermediary bank charges may be what was deducted from your transfer in this case. 

We'd be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like us to arrange a call back from our colleagues to explain this further for you. Please send us a Private Message with your name, branch and contact number (there is no need for your account number in the private message).
    Please click on the link in my signature below in order to send a private message to us. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hello, thank you for your reply.  My American bank recommended that I get you (BOI) to run a trace on the transfer and see where the extra money has gone.  You don't have a signature that is showing up for me.  If it is a fee of some kind then fine...I just want to know that as evidently I do not properly have my Pay account setup on 365 online for the sending account to pay all charges which is what I want.  I tried to explain this to the agent who never responded the question which added to my frustration.  If it is some strangle little fee that is being charged then ok but I want to set up my 365 account so that I pay these fees with my BOI account, not my Transferred money.  I never had this problem before everything went to being done online.  Back when I walked into my local branch and filled out the transfer form, the correct amount ALWAYS arrived in my American account.  It has only been since everything is done online that I have had problems.  
     Again, there is no link in your signature that I am able to see with my current permissions.  If you send me the link or PM me the link, I will be happy to set this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi Ohoopee, [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]We're sorry to hear that this question was not addressed in full at the time that you called. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]To send a PM please make sure you have signatures set to display in your control panel settings and then click in the link in my signature below to send the message.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you click on your username in the top right corner then go to Control Panel and then Edit Options. You then need to make sure you have Enable Private Messaging ticked, as well as Show Signatures. You should then be able to send us a Private Message. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Looking forward to hearing from you. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Elaine[/font]

• Advertisement

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi Ohoopee, [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]We're sorry to hear that this question was not addressed in full at the time that you called. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]To send a PM please make sure you have signatures set to display in your control panel settings and then click in the link in my signature below to send the message.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you click on your username in the top right corner then go to Control Panel and then Edit Options. You then need to make sure you have Enable Private Messaging ticked, as well as Show Signatures. You should then be able to send us a Private Message. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Looking forward to hearing from you. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Elaine[/font]
    Thank you, I sent the PM.  I appreciate your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

You're more than welcome Ohoopee, 

Thanks for the PM, we'll get back to you soon. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

OP,
    I know it doesn't help this time, but for future transactions, look into the likes of currency fair. You'll save a fortune in both the exchange rate and bank fees. I transfer money to Australia once a month and it just costs me $4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob_satellites

Please use transferwise or currency fair and you will get a much better rate.

Advertisement