Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Studies vs History

Options
  • 22-03-2007 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I'm in 4th year and I have no experience in Business but I think I would be fairly interested in the subject (I really should have done if for the Junior Cert). I'm just wondering if it's wise to pick it as a Leaving Cert subject without any previous knowledge on it?

I'm either picking History or Business Studies. I like History but then again it depends on the topics - some I could be really interested in and then others make me wonder if I'd be capable of doing it as a LC subject. Plus, there's so much in it...(I realise that no LC subject is easy)

I'm looking for opinions especially from people who have taken up Business Studies in 5th year without doing it for the Junior Cert, but that is probably rare so any comments are welcome!

I'm leaning more towards History because I know that I enjoy the subject a lot of the time and I have some basic knowledge from the Junior Cert. There's also that special topic project that you do before sitting the exam which might be easy to get good marks on. My friends sister seems to think it'd be easier to get more points in Business Studies for the Leaving, than in History.

What do you think, and after doing the mocks what are your opinions on both subjects in general?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU DONT PICK HISTORY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES:)

Take this from someone who used to "love" history, but the LC course is so different I have lost most interest in History.
    I would go as far as saying I "cringe" when hearing History related stuff, as it reminds me of the subtle term which describes History perfectly

"memorize"

Pick Business as its just about learning stuff, and it overlaps with stuff in Geography etc.
    Much easier to do better in Business than History.
    Business is a learn by rote subject, but you can put your own slant on things and the detail isnt as in-depth.

*I got a B in the Junior cert(hons) for History, but I am doubtful of a decent mark in Ordinary now*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In order to do well in History you certainly need to have a genuine interest in the subject. Without that you will have no motivation to learn what is required (which is a lot!). Business is generally seen to be a "handier" subject, but I'm certain that elements from the JC course would have been of great help to you as they do provide you with a basic understanding of the concepts behind business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Naikon wrote:
    IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU DONT PICK HISTORY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES:)

Take this from someone who used to "love" history, but the LC course is so different I have lost most interest in History.
    I would go as far as saying I "cringe" when hearing History related stuff, as it reminds me of the subtle term which describes History perfectly

"memorize"

Pick Business as its just about learning stuff, and it overlaps with stuff in Geography etc.
    Much easier to do better in Business than History.

*I got a B in the Junior cert(hons) for History, but I am doubtfull of a decent mark in Ordinary*

That's what I thought but I'll probably be the class dummy - everyone else will have done Junior Cert Business Studies, so I think it will be hard to catch up.

Thanks for the advice though, I have heard that there's just too much stuff to memorise in History....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That's what I thought but I'll probably be the class dummy - everyone else will have done Junior Cert Business Studies, so I think it will be hard to catch up.

Thanks for the advice though, I have heard that there's just too much stuff to memorise in History....

Not true, I did Business in the JC and hated it(2nd paper-accounting stuff was painfully boring.)
    Now there is only small bits of accounting, not like 50% in JC.
    Besides the LC business course is designed for people who havent done Business.

I Honestly think Business is more "interesting" at LC level.
    My cousin got a A in Business despite having not done it in the junior cycle.
    You will be grand....SERIOUSLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I didn't do either for the junior, but I'm doing both now. It really does depends on your taste. Both subject are pretty boring for a good bit of the time, but I find Business a lot easier. A lot of it's just common sense, with the odd law and tax calculation thrown in here and there.

If i were you, I'd do business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I took up business in 5th year, and was doing history up until after christmas of 5th year.

Choosing history was probably THE biggest mistake i made. Having not done business at jc, im now usually getting at least a B in my exams, got 79% in mocks (higher level). If your into learning off essay after essay, and having to deal with some very boring topics, then history is for you.

Business is probably the easiest subject I am doing for leaving cert. There is very little maths, and a lot of it is common sense. Im looking for an A1 in the leaving cert, and hopefully i'll get it :D .

If i was to make the choice again, i would NOT choose history!!! Just a little advice. Hope it helps :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

I'm doing history and business, and I definitely prefer history. History is a long, difficult course, but if you're interested in it you will find it easier to learn. I did business because it was supposed to be easy, but I'd say I'm going to do terribly in the leaving cert because I'm just not able to force myself to study it. It is the most boring, horrible subject I have ever had to do, and I find it impossible to learn something I have absolutely no interest in. So while business might be easier, I expect to get a better grade in history. So chose whichever one you're interested in, and if like me, you're unable to study terribly boring subjects don't do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Both are viciously boring....no joke I sleep in both classes BUT....lord above do not pick history!!Total disaster...business you can kind of make up as you go along...its a bit like "why would someone need a loan?" kind of questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

ok. Firstly I've done business for the junior cert. did accounting for the leaving cert(so boring). I can tell you you don't have to have done the junior cery business to pick up a course at leaving cert level. Also anybody I know who did both history and business thought business was easy but hated history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Do Business Studies... It's a delight and a complete pushover of a subject for anyone with business sense. No skill required or no need to learn reams. Just terms and definitions, usually. It's an extension of the JC course, and completely doable. If you're choosing other business subjects with it, you'll enjoy a nice overlap too. Don't TOUCH history!

You'll fly business!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

md99 wrote:
    Do Business Studies... It's a delight and a complete pushover of a subject for anyone with business sense. No skill required or no need to learn reams. Just terms and definitions, usually. It's an extension of the JC course, and completely doable. If you're choosing other business subjects with it, you'll enjoy a nice overlap too. Don't TOUCH history!

You'll fly business!!!!!

This.

If you've any common sense about you, business is an easy enough subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Someone in my year did that, took up business having never done it before, and is finding it easy enough now. Economics is easier still though.

History- you definitely need to be interested in it. It's not easy topics like the Renaissance or something. Some of it is mind-numbingly boring, but for the most part, I find it very interesting. It's three and a half essays, then document questions, which sounds awful but it's a LOT more flexible than the old history course. Some of the topics are awesome- anglo-american culture, hippies etc.

You need a memorising mind for it. The special topic is worth 20% and can be on anything you find historically relevant. It's fairly deadly.

Imo, biz sucks. Hated it for JC, and dropped it. Was thrown out of class into a 5th year biz class a while ago and it seems to have gotten even more boring for LC. (Relatively) easy points, I suppose.

OctavarIan wrote:
    This.

Glad you approve. Especially as I don't do it myself! :D Wish I did though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Some of the topics are awesome- anglo-american culture, hippies etc.

You're doing about hippies? :confused:
    Damn! It looks like there are far more interesting parts to the history course than the crap I'm doing. Cumann na nGaedheal's foreign policy, The Treaty, Industrialisation of Russia... does anyone even like these sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

do business!i only took it up at the beginning of fifth yr and i hav to say it is all just common sense!just be careful though that the class isn't full of a pack of dossers because that can be annoying but if you work yourself you'll fly through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

if you need the points badly, do business, if you want to actually have a subject which stays somewhat interesting, do history.
    I did business all through fifth year and have now quit. It's so boring, it's mostly common sense and waffle. But if you need points, it's perfect. Personally, I wish I had chosen something else, but oh well. I wish people would stop knocking history for the amount of work it involves. It's a terrible shame for a person to discontinue something they enjoy simply because it might mean some work.
    Unless you really, really need the points, do the one which interests you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

business is the most boring subject in the whole leaving cert . if choosing a business subject definetly do economics because its by far the easier subject. do history as well because it is extremely interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I took up History instead of business in 5th year, and took up Applied Maths during 5th year. I dropped Applied Maths because it is a chore so I then took up business for 6th year.
    History is a very very easy subject. You have the Special Topic which is 20% before you sit the exam. For the essays, all you have to do is learn off notes from the chapters and write them out in the exam. Business is also soo easy, just learn it all off and write it out.
    You should try and do both if you can because they are both similar in terms of revising

boger wrote:
    if choosing a business subject definetly do economics because its by far the easier subject. do history as well because it is extremely interesting.

most would diagree...! accounting and business are so many times easier!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

md99 wrote:
    most would diagree...! accounting and business are so many times easier!!!!

this is a matter of opinion isnt it, i just think economics is a shorter course and you can make a fair go a predicting possible questions on the actual lc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Despite getting an A in the JC, I found Business Studies to be such a boring subject.

I do History and it's honestly not that bad. It requires work, but it's interesting.
    Business probably requires less work.

If points are really important to you do Business, otherwise pick the one you're more interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I need the points! So I think I'll pick Business Studies. Seeing as I didn't do it for the Junior Cert, and I'm slightly interested in learning about it anyway, it mightn't be as boring. And, to be honest, I find school in general boring so I can't avoid it.

Thanks for the advice!

boger wrote:
    this is a matter of opinion isnt it, i just think economics is a shorter course and you can make a fair go a predicting possible questions on the actual lc

yep, sorry don't mean to sound biased. Economics is VERY predictable but the only thing more predictable is accounting, where it's possible to predict the entire exam ( ie all 9 questions which will come up) and usually be right. I did it for this years, and both pre's came up as I predicted for each of my questions.... the reason I would consider economics more difficult is because many find it very difficult to comprehend, for example in my class many who fly business can't hack economics at all. I love it though, for the reliability of the short questions and microeconomics..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I managed to convince my principal to let me do Economics and History, by doing history as extra with the teacher setting work and correcting it, as they were clashing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I managed to convince my principal to let me do Economics and History, by doing history as extra with the teacher setting work and correcting it, as they were clashing...
    How'd you manage that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I went to him and asked him about the subjects. I'm already doing one extra on my own outside school (Classics), and i told him that I really really didn't want to do Biology, Physics, Art or Home Ec...I asked him would I be able to do history and drop those...so I now have a free class in that band to study History in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I took up business at the start of the year and got a B in my mocks. One thing I'd advise is taking up geography as well as one elective and one option overlap quite nicely iirc. Home ec. has some aspects too with learning about consumer rights etc. Then if you do biology you do microbiology and composition of nutrients in home ec. Also you do electricity in the home and that kind of thing which could be useful in physics. Renewable energy and that kinda thing is in both geography and home ec. I didn't realise this but I do home ec, geography and business and they have so much in common. I did economics and physics for a bit but was so totally lost after doing no science subject for three years. But the business course it completely doable. It's my best subject.

Advertisement