Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Should I Charge? (Solo Singer/Guitar Player)

Options
  • 18-06-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I am a singer and guitar player looking to start gigging in pubs. This is my first time doing this and I could use some advice on how much I should charge. I'm rather clueless on what I should charge to be honest, and I don't want to come across as being too expensive as I am only starting out. I am based in the midlands and the majority of pubs are in small towns or in rural locations.

Any advice would be great as I am completely new to the gigging scene.

Cheers!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Pawsome54

The going price for gigs of your type is €150 for a 2-hour set. Make sure you have all your own gear too and a good sound, PA/amps and such.

For your first time tell the pubs that you will do it for a discounted price of €100, but that it will go up to €150 for every time after that (they love hearing that you're doing them a deal haha).

Also, try bring as many people as you can to cover that price, then they'll be more likely to get you back in for more gigs.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Thanks man. That's the the kind of money I was thinking of charging. Seems reasonable and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Ya €150 is bang on the money, i'm in the same situation and that's what i get, depending on the pub a few free pints is the norm too. I have gotten 200 in the past but i think those days are gone!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

I would add to this, not to go below that price. There are too many 'musicians' out there playing for less than this and it is now harder and harder for us gigging to earn a fair wage for what we do.

This driving of the market down is ultimately going to end up in one place. Musicians should stick together on this. I personally have no issue in going below this price for a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday but Thursday - Sunday bands/musicians should look for what is a fair price.

I would go further by saying that it is not up to the musicians to 'cover their cost' on any night. What we provide is a service which enhances the atmosphere of a venue. This in itself has a value to the proprietor of a business and should not either be underestimated by the musicians.

I've heard of 4 piece bands gigging on the weekend for €240!!! This is in my opinion contemptible. Whatever about pub owners looking to provide entertainment cheaper and cheaper, it is not up to gigging musicians to bend over for these businesses.

Rehearsal time, gear and talent all carry value. Never forget this.

Stepping down now from my soap box.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

I would add to this, not to go below that price. There are too many 'musicians' out there playing for less than this and it is now harder and harder for us gigging to earn a fair wage for what we do.

I've heard of 4 piece bands gigging on the weekend for €240!!! This is in my opinion contemptible. Whatever about pub owners looking to provide entertainment cheaper and cheaper, it is not up to gigging musicians to bend over for these businesses.

Rehearsal time, gear and talent all carry value. Never forget this.

Stepping down now from my soap box.

What you think is reasonable for a 4 piece to charge? 300 for first gig and 350 after that seems to be going rate in the midlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

paligulus1 wrote: »
    What you think is reasonable for a 4 piece to charge? 300 for first gig and 350 after that seems to be going rate in the midlands

Abut 5 years ago i'd say 450 but 400 seems to be the going rate now.. You'd want at least 100 a man to be fair. That's not to say a 5 piece would get 500 though.

And about the playing the first gig for a cheaper price, I wouldn't. You don't get paid until after you play. If the manager decides ye were **** after the gig he just won't ask ye back. But if ye were good then ye earned the 400. After all they won't give you your first pint for €2.50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

paligulus1 wrote: »

Location has a lot to do with it to be fair. I know there are bars in Donegal that only pay €250 for four piece band and pack the place out. This is taking the proverbial p!ss IMO. On the other hand I know a 2 piece band who were getting €450 for a two hour set in a hotel at the weekend and there would rarely be more than 20 punters in the place. They just kept at it until the hotel just cut them. They actually couldn't believe they lasted as long as they did!

If you are looking to play in a bar that has a policy of promoting music and have music three or more times a week I would think that you should be looking for an absolute minimum of €400. That said I think you should be paid a minimum of €500 however €600 would be a fairer price. Other factors however come into it and if the venue is not doing the business anyway can they afford a band? If this is the case then they shouldn't be looking to hire 4 piece bands. You'll know yourself what the score is.

As I've stated previously. You are providing a service. It is not your job to cover the total cost of your charge. You provide atmosphere and ambience that a radio or other recorded material cannot do. Too many bar owners taking the pish and too many bands willing to bend over for them.

Advertisement