Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History - what chapters to study

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

i dont like this business of 'my teachers is in d institut loike and he said to study x so i no x is comin up im nt botherin 2 study nethin else loike'

THAT said, surely parnell has got to come up so if you study just the chapters on him you should be grand for movements for political reform?

Anyway thats not what i started this for. Was thinking..you know the way examiners have to put in questions from at least 2 of the sections? Even though Politics and Administration is perhaps the most obvious, popular and arguably easiest section, could you just ignore studying this section. Think about it. The other two sections are much shorter, especially in the irish book, pursuit of soviergnty. Personally (especially in dictatorship and democracy) i enjoy the Politics and Administration section more (and hate society and culture), but this way theres less to learn and your sure to have something to come up that you've studied.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Why not just study every chapter considering you've got nearly six months to do so. I am a genius.

They must link one essay to one of the case studies in each book. So if you just study all the case studies and the backround to them you should in theory be sorted. However, I do not recommend this as the question could well be tricky as a mother f**ker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

them teachers in the "tute" are never far off in predicting things so if you have knowledge of what they are saying I would go with it. Parnell didnt come up last year, so I'll be giving that chapter plenty of study :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Haha...study them all. Do you do history?

It takes me the weekend to learn 1-2 chapters. A week later I forget it. I enjoy history and I'm good at discussing it and can write decent essays and my research project is going well, but I could easily fail History in the LC because I'm not studying enough (even if I did it's too much!).

Anyway, Parnell seems to be a good guess, but does no one like my theory? :p

I mean the examiners say they have to test you on at LEAST 2 out of the 3 aspects (they put in all 3 sometimes too) so I don't know why I didn't think about it. In the Pursuit of Soveirgnty book thats only FIVE chapters :D No home rule, no treaty, no civil war, war of independence, fianna fail...just the three chapters on Society and Economy and 2 on Culture and Religion.

Now I'm a genious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Haha...study them all. Do you do history?

It takes me the weekend to learn 1-2 chapters. A week later I forget it. I enjoy history and I'm good at discussing it and can write decent essays and my research project is going well, but I could easily fail History in the LC because I'm not studying enough (even if I did it's too much!).

Anyway, Parnell seems to be a good guess, but does no one like my theory? :p

I mean the examiners say they have to test you on at LEAST 2 out of the 3 aspects (they put in all 3 sometimes too) so I don't know why I didn't think about it. In the Pursuit of Soveirgnty book thats only FIVE chapters :D No home rule, no treaty, no civil war, war of independence, fianna fail...just the three chapters on Society and Economy and 2 on Culture and Religion.

Now I'm a genious :pac:
    You misspelled genius, genius ;).

Sorry, couldn't resist :cool:.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=genious :D

Yeah I do history and yeah it's a son of a bitch +10!
    But if you understand all of it and learn off a few specific things from each chapter you can write an essay. They're not expecting you to know every single last detail. They want you to have a broad knowledge and know the important facts and understand them.

I use index cards to write out the main points of different essays and scan through them every so often after reading the chapter. Very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

as much as i wish it wasnt id say we'll probably get one of the economic policiys in post war ireland.really wish we didnt have to do th economic history.

i think the doccument questions are by far the easiest bit of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Well, they tend to always ask a question on Politcs. :X
    Go through previous papers and see what is most common and what has least come up.

Me, well, for the pres I'm only doing 1912-1932 (20 years sounds little but there is a hell of a lot in those years!

And for the Dictatorship&Democracy question: All of Hitler & Pop Culture.

as much as i wish it wasnt id say we'll probably get one of the economic policiys in post war ireland.really wish we didnt have to do th economic history.
    Economic policies are easy. Get a sheet of paper and write Cumann na nGaedheal's policies on one side and FF's on the other.

Then write down why FF abolished free trade and adopted protectionism (depression, change, to show that they didn't rely on trade with england).
    Gloom wrote: »
    And for the Dictatorship&Democracy question: All of Hitler & Pop Culture.
    I would literally drool all over the paper if that came up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wow. You discovered I'm dyslexic. Big deal.

(Prob misspelt dyslexic too right?)

:)

Advertisement