Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Advanced Professional 170 Piece 119euro online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i would not waste my money on halfords brand. i did buy a few bits from them when stuck. car battery that would go flat if you left your lights on for 10 mins. mainstream brand battery lasted for hours.
    Swapped 3 sets of tools as the included ratchet spanner would keep braking. cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The tools are fine. Moving parts not covered by warranty. I broke my 3/8 drive because i put a pipe on it for extension. They gave me a new ratchet mechanism for free even though not covered by warranty. I got that set for €135 two years ago. €150 + 10% corporate discount. Great set at that price.

Comparing the tools to batteries is pointless. Halfords make none of it. Just sell it. Their handtools are made by multiple decent or middle of the road brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Skatedude wrote: »
    i would not waste my money on halfords brand. i did buy a few bits from them when stuck. car battery that would go flat if you left your lights on for 10 mins. mainstream brand battery lasted for hours.
    Swapped 3 sets of tools as the included ratchet spanner would keep braking. cheap for a reason.

I have a couple of their advanced professional sets and find them brilliant, just high quality at a good price.
    The set in the op offers a very good mix at a great price, like any tool be it expensive or cheap you need to use them correctly and look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Advanced range in Halfords is excellent. Have a set for a number of years, has done everything I've thrown at it, including removing hub nuts, without any issue.

I will say that Halfords hand tools not in the advanced range are made of some form of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

steder wrote: »

Same here. Great set though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As mentioned they are highly regarded. And have a life time warranty. I have a set for around 2 years or so and find it's fantastic. I use it regularly and haven't had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I would also rate the Professional range.

Bought the 90 piece set about 6-7 yrs ago and have had no problems with the tools. The hinges on the carry case broke but Halfords replaced it under their Life time guarantee.

If I knew I could sell the 90 piece set, I'd definitely upgrade to the 170 piece.

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I would also rate the Professional range.

Bought the 90 piece set about 6-7 yrs ago and have had no problems with the tools. The hinges on the carry case broke but Halfords replaced it under their Life time guarantee.

If I knew I could sell the 90 piece set, I'd definitely upgrade to the 170 piece.
    My one and only quibble too - the workmanship of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Has anyone tried a warranty claim without a receipt? The attachment that holds the screw driver bits in place has lost the little ball and the bits constantly fall out. Apart from that, an excellent set, I'd recommend them completely.

Has anyone tried a warranty claim without a receipt? The attachment that holds the screw driver bits in place has lost the little ball and the bits constantly fall out. Apart from that, an excellent set, I'd recommend them completely.

It's a lifetime warranty. Bring down the full kit and show them the faulty part of the set. I'd be surprised if they did not replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Had the same issue with that part, had a receipt though and they replaced it with no issue.

dodzy wrote: »
    My one and only quibble too - the workmanship of the case.

I agree but I think the latest cases now have a metal bar inside the hinges for added strength. Mine doesn't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I agree but I think the latest cases now have a metal bar inside the hinges for added strength. Mine doesn't.

I wonder if you can return the case as part of the warranty....mine isn't the best and can come apart at the rear.

I wonder if you can return the case as part of the warranty....mine isn't the best and can come apart at the rear.

Mine did too, so I got a length of 5mm threaded bar, drilled holes in the hinges and double bolted each end. Jerry rigging ftw

Definitely. They replaced mine when it broke.

Definitely. They replaced mine when it broke.

I will do this tomorrow so! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

Surely the battery you bought had a lower capacity than the mainstream battery as stated in Amp Hours. Always check dat spec!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

halfords swap halfords batterys without question
    also they are re branded bosch and are good batteries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Even at €119 I still dont see the value in that set, the majority of the sockets are 12 point which if you are working on 12 nuts and bolts are fine but for using on 6 point nuts and bolts are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Even at €119 I still dont see the value in that set, the majority of the sockets are 12 point which if you are working on 12 nuts and bolts are fine but for using on 6 point nuts and bolts are a disaster.

Not really. Have u ever used high quality 12 side ring spanners or sockets? They're much better than similar quality 6 sided sets

• Advertisement

corglass wrote: »
    Not really. Have u ever used high quality 12 side ring spanners or sockets? They're much better than similar quality 6 sided sets

I have are you seriously trying to suggest a 12 point socket or spanner is better on a 6 point nut?

I have are you seriously trying to suggest a 12 point socket or spanner is better on a 6 point nut?

I find the 12 point sockets are kind of like fine tooth ratchets, they allow you greater scope in applying the sockets to the fastener.

I have never had an issue with them being less effective than 6 sided, but I couldn't say they were better either (better than **** 6 point sockets, yes)

cletus wrote: »
    I find the 12 point sockets are kind of like fine tooth ratchets, they allow you greater scope in applying the sockets to the fastener.

They are fantastic at rounding nuts too.
    (better than **** 6 point sockets, yes

Are you basing that on a cheap socket bursting or some other reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

They are fantastic at rounding nuts too

My own set has rebuilt two cars, so whoever says they're bad quality must not be using them right :confused:

I'll agree on the 12 point sockets though, they round nuts like no ones business, also, from someone in the know, if you have an axa card or trade card you can get 10/20% off the online price when you get it in store ;)

They are fantastic at rounding nuts too.

Are you basing that on a cheap socket bursting or some other reason?

Haven't rounded a nut with them yet (touches wood as speaks :D)

comparing them to cheap no name made of cheese sockets that burst as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

12pt fine for 99% of jobs, I'd just change to a 6pt if something is welded on.

Find a set at a similar quality and price in a b&m shop in ireland that can rival this set... You won't find one. Buy another cheapo 6pt socket set to compliment it if it bothers you

Find a set at a similar quality and price in a b&m shop in ireland that can rival this set... You won't find one. Buy another cheapo 6pt socket set to compliment it if it bothers you

It dont bother me at all, i simply wouldn't waste €119 buying that set. Better value out there.

It dont bother me at all, i simply wouldn't waste €119 buying that set. Better value out there.

Yeah, we get the fact you hate the halfords offering.

Best of luck finding better at that price point. You won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

What is your reason for spamming this thread so?

Normal halfords stuff is hit and miss but their advanced / professional is top grade stuff. I have this set for years, break it down and try accumulate the set(to the same standard) in bits and pieces and it'll cost you a lot more. Add in the fact it's all 1 strong case and the lifetime guarantee and its a no brainer.

As another poster said use your axa card for another 10% off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, we get the fact you hate the halfords offering.

Best of luck finding better at that price point. You won't.

Or the lifetime warranty !

Advertisement