Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Ants HD IP Camera (Dropcam Clone) for less then €30

Options

Comments

Right I downgraded the firmware so now I can access the recording through my browser. Haven't tried the live stream/rtsp feature yet. One thing I noticed when taking out the micro sd I've had in there for the last two months was that there was only today's and the last three day's recordings. So it would seem anything over 8GB would be overkill.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    If you can get the IP address of the camera and open it in a browser it will let you browse the contents of the micro sd card ( the recordings), have not found a way to set the IP address though as it keeps changing, so accessing it from outside your home network is a struggle.

Why didn't you just bind the camera to a static ip address in your modem's settings? Then you could do some port forwarding (port 80?) and use a service like no-ip.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Why didn't you just bind the camera to a static ip address in your modem's settings? Then you could do some port forwarding (port 80?) and use a service like no-ip.com.

Because to do that I would probably need to know 'how' to do that, I did try something like IP Address reserve by attempting to tie the MAC address to the IP address, but it did not seem to have the desired effect.

Ah I see sorry. Well unless you turn off your modem/router I don't see why the internal ip address would change. For the live streams I just port forwarded 554 and then put my external ip address into:
    rtsp://(MY EXTERNAL IP):554/ch0_0.h264

Put that into VLC and it's working fine (I think, will check for sure at work tomorrow).

I can't figure out if it's possible to access the sd card externally...I don't think it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Ok, I've managed to get this now, build quality looks pretty good.

In terms of setting up, can someone just write a post to explain how to do it?

Is there a way to hook this up to other apps instead of the ones recommended on this thread?

Has anyone found a way to get the IP address of this camera yet?

OREGATO wrote: »
    Ok, I've managed to get this now, build quality looks pretty good.

In terms of setting up, can someone just write a post to explain how to do it?

Is there a way to hook this up to other apps instead of the ones recommended on this thread?

Has anyone found a way to get the IP address of this camera yet?

Update, managed to get it up and running with the app linked a few pages back, relatively simple.

One question, does the camera automatically record if it picks up movement? It doesn't seem to from what I can see..

Is there a way to get the IP address of the camera as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

You can probably see the IP address on your router settings.

I can see mine, but just can't set it.

Thanks eamonnq,

You mentioned a few pages back that the timeline goes orange when there is a recording based on motion detection, this doesn't appear to be working for me, I have an SD card in the device but I can't seem to see any via the app.

Also, the default seems to be SD quality and every time I set it to HD, the next time I go back into the app, it's in SD. Any ideas how to change this permanently?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Using the Chrome Extension - ARC Welder, you can run the Smart Home apk and view your video stream etc. Works pretty well! Easier than setting up port forwarding and rtsp streams....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got mine last week downloaded the apk file I'm able to view the camera on my android phone but the picture seems to be playing in slow motion it's driving me nuts any help please

Any chance anyone would have one of these and are not using it? I'm looking for another one for a friend if you want to sell it?

Drop me a pm?

Thanks, O

• Advertisement

Bump - How's everyones experience with this camera?

I've just ordered the night version one from Aliexpress now too. The one I have is working pretty well although the camera clock time is annoying as the recordings can be all over the place? Anyone any ideas how to change the clock time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

OREGATO wrote: »
    Bump - How's everyones experience with this camera?

I've just ordered the night version one from Aliexpress now too. The one I have is working pretty well although the camera clock time is annoying as the recordings can be all over the place? Anyone any ideas how to change the clock time?

Do you have a link to the night version you ordered?
    Wanted to order one but previous postees said that it wasn't any good at night

Is there a newer version how much did it cost you?

Thanks
    Dash

Hey Dash,

Here you are: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/original-Xiaomi-Smart-Camera-Xiaomi-xiaoyi-Small-ants-smart-webcam-for-smart-home-life-z/32225787558.html I'm not affiliated with the buyer or anything, I did a search on Aliexpress and read the reviews for them, a lot of positives and mentions of fast dispatch and fast enough delivery. I ordered yesterday afternoon and it was dispatched overnight with tracking.

Cost wise, I think it's only a few quid more than the non night time version, works out at $39.99 but not sure on the conversion to euros.

HTH,

O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Right I downgraded the firmware so now I can access the recording through my browser. Haven't tried the live stream/rtsp feature yet. One thing I noticed when taking out the micro sd I've had in there for the last two months was that there was only today's and the last three day's recordings. So it would seem anything over 8GB would be overkill.

Is this still an issue with current firmware?
    Do the recordings roll over by date before the SD card capacity is filled?

Not sure about the current firmware mate. Also I was wrong about the recordings. I checked my 32GB Micro SD and it was full and it's a case of the oldest stuff getting removed first.

Posted a few weeks ago but got no replies anybody have any ideas baby on the way soooon... Got mine last week downloaded the apk file I'm able to view the camera on my android phone but the picture seems to be playing in slow motion it's driving me nuts any help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I hadn't heard xiaomi were updating it with a new model including built in IR.
    Like most cameras you'll end up with the IR light reflecting on the glass if you're using it through a window at night.
    My ant cam works well at night and just using ambient street light. Needless to say it won't work in complete darkness but works better than I'd hoped in low light.

I've held off updating the firmware. Do we still have the issue whereby the latest firmware will not let you use 3rd party apps because we don't have the username and password? I need the ability to use the one app or PC program to view several brands of IP cams at once. I can do this with the older firmware.

Skippy, what type of internet connection do you have? my streams pretty well, it's not perfect and can be a little choppy but it's still watchable.

In terms of low light, I'd agree with Gran that the current model works ok in low light, pitch dark, you won't see anything but I guess that's why I'm going to try out the newer model.

I've updated the app to the latest and in one of the release notes, it did mention that it was adding in support for the IR on the new camera so it'll be the same app.

My biggest gripe is the time different as it really messes up with the recordings time line in the app.

I believe the time issue is due to how the camera syncs with the xiaomi servers and that's why it's showing Chinese tme zone. I haven't seen a work around. As you said O it is annoying when using time line to click on old re ordinhs in-app.

Skippy's issue sounds more like a WiFi issue.

yeah looks like wifi issue gonna have a look at my modem and go from there.. its a pain in the circle thing :D

• Advertisement

yeah looks like wifi issue gonna have a look at my modem and go from there.. its a pain in the circle thing :D

Finally got it going wasn't my wifi had the wrong app used this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrv89jh633qf196/smarthome.apk?dl=0

I'm fed up of mine. The inaccurate time and unreliable apps are just too much hassle. Saw a glowing review of a Y-Cam Homemonitor HD in WebUser magazine and ordered it on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I'm fed up of mine. The inaccurate time and unreliable apps are just too much hassle. Saw a glowing review of a Y-Cam Homemonitor HD in WebUser magazine and ordered it on Amazon.

No problems here, I just use the official apps provided by Xiaomi. They support English as a language.

There's no comparison between a camera <$30 and a camera ~$200??

Not the xiaomi ant, but looks like my memory have a job lot of the Clever Dog WiFi camera on sale. Price starts at GBP25 plus delivery but discounts if you buy 2 or 3. Seems to be an unknown brand and not much info online. App reminds me of the Belkin cams. Delivery from UK/Channel Isles so should be quicker than ordering via China. I'm not gone on the design but looks like worth a punt at that price.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Clever%20Dog/All-Products

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not the xiaomi ant, but looks like my memory have a job lot of the Clever Dog WiFi camera on sale. Price starts at GBP25 plus delivery but discounts if you buy 2 or 3. Seems to be an unknown brand and not much info online. App reminds me of the Belkin cams. Delivery from UK/Channel Isles so should be quicker than ordering via China. I'm not gone on the design but looks like worth a punt at that price.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Clever%20Dog/All-Products

Pitty it only supports wireless b & g, no N

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

Pitty it only supports wireless b & g, no N

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but how does that affect the camera by not having N?

If you have your router set to "N only", which is the fastest and newest, then you'd have to go messing around with things to get the camera to connect to your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Hi

Can this camera be configured to capture images when the motion sensor is activated and emailed to a defined email address

Cheers

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any feedback on this? How's it working out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Would this cam work well as just a "plug and play" USB webcam? Or would there be better options for me?

Advertisement