Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 16 too late to start playing hurling?

• 29-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Lately I've really gotten into hurling, and really want to start playing for a team. However, the thing is will a team let me play if I have never played for a team before? I willing to put in the effort to try and get to a level that I will be able to play, and I certainly think I have enough motivation. Also being in Transition Year dedicating time is not a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

If you're willing to put in the effort and have the motivation and time to play, I don't see any reason for the team to refuse to try you out a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I doubt anywhere will turn you away from training. Lots of wall time will help with your striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reidyaye wrote: »
    Lately I've really gotten into hurling, and really want to start playing for a team. However, the thing is will a team let me play if I have never played for a team before? I willing to put in the effort to try and get to a level that I will be able to play, and I certainly think I have enough motivation. Also being in Transition Year dedicating time is not a problem.

Back in my day I started hurling at 16 and ended up playing senior hurling after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We had a guy in his forties start last year with us. No such thing as too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

It's never too late to try anything new.. if your up for it go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

To answer your question, no 16 isn't too late. No club would turn away a potential player. In fact I imagine you'll need to sign up with somebody to access the necessary coaching. If you have a reasonable standard of fitness that'll also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭randd1

No, its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Reidyaye

Thanks everyone for replying, going to sign up for the team beside me and give it a shot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

I only started myself when I was 18 and this year I started in a semi-final for the club.

Should mention I'm 21 and it was the club's first semi-final appearance since I joined. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Go for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Provided you're willing to work hard, go for it. It will take a lot of time and effort but it will be worth it.

Find your nearest ball alley (that failing any big wall with open space in front of it) and any time you have free go and practice striking the ball (different distances, speeds, heights etc.) and practice controlling the returned ball. You know yourself, you'll be training with lads who have about 8 years experience more than you of getting those basics right. Don't worry though, won't take you 8 years to make that up :D

Any club would be most likely be delighted to take on a 16 year old, they usually tend to start losing players at that age, not gain them. A man I know started at 15, he's 28 or so now and has three senior county title medals in his back pocket, not just as an extended panel member, played a very active role in the starting XV in that time. I'd say most clubs have a few players who started late, it's not that unusual.

Good luck!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm always amazed at how many people carry their medals around in their back pockets. I only have the one medal and I keep it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm always amazed at how many people carry their medals around in their back pockets. I only have the one medal and I keep it at home.

They're probably starting to use All-Ireland medals as feckin' paper weights in your own county by now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Definitley not too late and every club would be only delighted to get an extra player to be honest! Even if just to make up the numbers at training etc.

To be honest though I'd say you are too late to really excel at the game (if you're dreaming of county standard or whatever) I think hurling is a game you need to have played all your life to really reach the top level (most good hurlers I know nearly came out of the womb with the hurl!) in contrast to say rugby where John Hayes didn't even touch a rugby ball until he was 18 and went on to win 100 caps for Ireland! But there's no reason you can't improve enough to be a decent club hurler in the future if you've a reasonable level of atheltic ability and put the time in.

Just as an aside to that point, I wonder what the oldest any top level intercounty player has taken up the game at? I think I remember seeing before that Sean Og didn't start until he was 12 or 13, hard to imagine too many would have started later than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Just as an aside to that point, I wonder what the oldest any top level intercounty player has taken up the game at? I think I remember seeing before that Sean Og didn't start until he was 12 or 13, hard to imagine too many would have started later than that

Now that's a good question.

According to Wikipedia Sean Og was born 22 May 1977 and the family moved back to Cork in 88. Assuming he didnt pick up a hurl until he was back in Ireland, the youngest he could have been was 10.
    However I can't help but wonder if they had any hurls around the place in Oz. He might have been able to develop some skills and there would surely have been some sorts of mini-games with the young brothers. However the first time he played in any games was surely when the family arrived back in Cork. Maybe someone who has his autobiography might know more about when he first picked up a hurl?

On a somewhat related point and remembering reading about the games of hurling the Ui Hailpin's had out in their back garden, I always think that only kids (or even lads with no brothers) are at a serious disadvantage in terms of developing sporting skills. I also have a related theory that younger brothers are far more likely to end up as keepers as they invariably end up getting more practice because they constantly get forced to go in goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pintos80

its never to late, hurl away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

I played my first game last month, I'm 46!

Advertisement