Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Ballina (Mayo)

• 19-05-2014 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to get from Dublin to Ballina (Mayo)? The online booker on irishrail.ie gives the return fare as a stonking €50; apparently a day return is cheaper, but I can't see any way to book it online, or any quote for the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The fares are not that hard to find.

Click on the "Fares & Tickets" tab at the top, then "Fares Information" on the lefthand menu and then select "Dublin-Westport/Ballina" to see the fares available from the booking office.

If you are booking a return trip online where both journeys are on the same day, you need to select both journeys and the price (where the two fares added together are greater than the day return fare) will default to the day return price of €41.70 excluding booking fee/charges.

There are cheaper fares available - try different dates. For example on 29 May, I can book a return trip for €23 including charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ah, thanks. €42. Still a *huge* price.
    (Notice how the independent bus companies disappeared at the same time as the work, and then the government-run-transport-companies' prices doubled and tripled again?)
    My travel date doesn't depend on myself, unfortunately.
    Edit: it seems that if I'd had precognition and booked it a month ago, I could have done the journey for €20. Highway robbery to charge a huge fare because you have to travel immediately, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bus Éireann

http://www.busfare.co.uk/eireann.html
    Service 22
    20.50 : Adult Single
    28.00 : Adult Return
    13.50 : Child Single
    18.00 : Child Return
    17.00 : Student Single
    25.00 : Student Return
    56.00 : Family Return
    14.00 : Child Day Return
    22.00 : Adult Day Return
    At times, travelling via Sligo or Galway may make times sense, but might not make money sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ah, thanks. €42. Still a *huge* price.
    (Notice how the independent bus companies disappeared at the same time as the work, and then the government-run-transport-companies' prices doubled and tripled again?)
    My travel date doesn't depend on myself, unfortunately.
    Edit: it seems that if I'd had precognition and booked it a month ago, I could have done the journey for €20. Highway robbery to charge a huge fare because you have to travel immediately, really.

What independent long distance bus companies vanished? The pricing of trains have never doubled/tripled.

The €20 fare is a sale price.

Ultimately the NTA sets the fares, and the pricing model is the same as virtually every longer distance rail/air transport company - book in advance and save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

THe 22 bus is even cheaper if booked online, €20.90 for an adult day return and can be booked up to a few hours before travel, The Adult return is also a monthly open return so you can return on any bus up to a month after your outward journey.

Service 22
    Fare Discounted Fare
    20.50 19.47 : Adult Single
    28.00 26.60 : Adult Return
    13.50 12.82 : Child Single
    18.00 17.10 : Child Return
    17.00 16.15 : Student Single
    25.00 23.75 : Student Return
    56.00 53.20 : Family Return
    14.00 13.30 : Child Day Return
    22.00 20.90 : Adult Day Return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The trip by Bus Éireann is cheaper but I wouldn't wish a 5 hour journey on Bus Éireann on anyone, go with the train for comfort and speed. With most cars you'll spend at least 50 or 60 on petrol for such a journey anyway and get there slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The bus journey is just too long for me.

As for train fares, there were always the official fares and the provisional fares - there used to be a place near the Garda Club in Dublin where you could get cheap train tickets, half the "real" price.

Advertisement