Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

James Kavanagh retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

"He felt Galway were only "scratching the surface" compared to what he experienced training with Kildare but expects Kevin Walsh to address that now"

Interesting to see the above in the article. I think most people suspected that the Galway setup was a bit naive and wasn't as professional as other teams under Mulholland and this would appear to confirm it. Its probably a case that he didn't have the finance available to him in some areas that a team like Kildare would have but still interesting to read.

Apparently Galway are training hard at the moment, whether the type of training they are at is what's needed is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kavanagh gave a good effort and I suppose people were clamouring for him to be in the setup but he really wasn't fit enough for senior intercounty football. There was never a game where there weren't doubts over whether he'd play. I can absolutely believe the training wasn't that of Kildare's standard IIRC. They're fairly in the red now with little if anything to show for it by way of success. Remember always hearing that the footballers were doing the best with what they were given expense-wise and supply-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Kavanagh gave a good effort and I suppose people were clamouring for him to be in the setup but he really wasn't fit enough for senior intercounty football. There was never a game where there weren't doubts over whether he'd play. I can absolutely believe the training wasn't that of Kildare's standard IIRC. They're fairly in the red now with little if anything to show for it by way of success. Remember always hearing that the footballers were doing the best with what they were given expense-wise and supply-wise.

Is there no sugar Daddy at all in the whole of Galway?

Surely the likes of the Comer Brothers could be enticed to invest? Jesus Mayos budget is nearly 10 times our I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

and they still haven't sam to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Toplink wrote: »
    Is there no sugar Daddy at all in the whole of Galway?

Surely the likes of the Comer Brothers could be enticed to invest? Jesus Mayos budget is nearly 10 times our I'd say.

Ya, but how much money do you need to entice (amateur) players to get themselves properly fit and improve their skills? If they haven't the basics from a young level, throwing money at it isn't going to make a major difference surely. To quote Mick O'Dwyer, 'In my day all the players needed was spuds and fish".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

MfMan wrote: »
    Ya, but how much money do you need to entice (amateur) players to get themselves properly fit and improve their skills? If they haven't the basics from a young level, throwing money at it isn't going to make a major difference surely. To quote Mick O'Dwyer, 'In my day all the players needed was spuds and fish".

In fairness, its moved on a bit since then. Apparently the Dublin players have their meals delivered to them at work so they maintain the correct diet and aren't tempted to cheat for an easy life. Wouldn't it be handy for a lad to pick up a chicken roll or some other Deli crap if he was busy at work and home and hadn't time to prepare properly. We all do it, why would they be any different.

There's a reason professional soccer teams have kitchens and chefs etc. Its these details that make it all the more likely for an amateur to succeed. The fact we don't even have a sponsor is an absolute joke. We won't make any inroads without investment so the CB would want to shake down every tree possible in order to create the finances for this to happen. We're a huge county with one of the largest cities. It should be a breeze but the powers that be are incompetent.

threeball wrote: »
    In fairness, its moved on a bit since then. Apparently the Dublin players have their meals delivered to them at work so they maintain the correct diet and aren't tempted to cheat for an easy life. Wouldn't it be handy for a lad to pick up a chicken roll or some other Deli crap if he was busy at work and home and hadn't time to prepare properly. We all do it, why would they be any different.

There's a reason professional soccer teams have kitchens and chefs etc. Its these details that make it all the more likely for an amateur to succeed. The fact we don't even have a sponsor is an absolute joke. We won't make any inroads without investment so the CB would want to shake down every tree possible in order to create the finances for this to happen. We're a huge county with one of the largest cities. It should be a breeze but the powers that be are incompetent.

Mmmm... and yet MU used serve chips in their canteen until Moyes banned them. You may be right, but I often think teams go too far with this kind of thing. Having their meals delivered didn't improve Dublin's HB line defending. Talent and ability if harnessed correctly will always trump all.

Pretty sure United were only served low fat chips on a rare occasion as team-building. That was their cheat meal for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

MfMan wrote: »
    Mmmm... and yet MU used serve chips in their canteen until Moyes banned them. You may be right, but I often think teams go too far with this kind of thing. Having their meals delivered didn't improve Dublin's HB line defending. Talent and ability if harnessed correctly will always trump all.

That deficiency had been flagged for Dublin all season and had they paid the slightest bit of heed to it they would have been AI champions. If Dublin didn't have the physical prowess and fitness that they have they wouldn't get near an AI as a lot of their players are mediocre when you take away they physicality so I'd say these little details have a huge benefit for any team. You can be sure Kerry have more going on behind the scenes than "yerra tis betroth to us lads, we couldn't lose"

• Advertisement

Portumna to win well in sundays final lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gort beat Portumna by 6 points.

Corofin don't seem to have impressed too much in London.

0-2 to 0-1 at HT, sounds more like a soccer score.

0-9 to 0-2 FT..... I was thinking the PP special on -15 points was a decent bet... there wasn't even 15 points scored between the two of them.

Congrats to Gort on their county final win. Looked like Portumna might rob it when they got level late on but Gort were deserving winners.

Don't see them having much hope in the All-Ireland series but today was a day to remember for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Corofin don't seem to have impressed too much in London.

0-2 to 0-1 at HT, sounds more like a soccer score.

0-9 to 0-2 FT..... I was thinking the PP special on -15 points was a decent bet... there wasn't even 15 points scored between the two of them.

Was full deferred coverage of that game on Irishtv dreadful game played on a very heavy pitch. Gary Sice best for Corofin again. Defeated the same opposition by 7 points in 2009 so maybe some of the London clubs don't get the credit they deserve.

Corofin v St Vincents should be a much better watch any ideas on the possible venue a good pitch a must so Tullamore perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Was full deferred coverage of that game on Irishtv dreadful game played on a very heavy pitch. Gary Sice best for Corofin again. Defeated the same opposition by 7 points in 2009 so maybe some of the London clubs don't get the credit they deserve.

Corofin v St Vincents should be a much better watch any ideas on the possible venue a good pitch a must so Tullamore perhaps?

Tullamore would be ideal but I have a feeling they'll bring it to Portlaoise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

T0001 wrote: »
    Tullamore would be ideal but I have a feeling they'll bring it to Portlaoise

Supposed to be provisionally for Mullingar on a Valentines day.

fearruanua wrote: »

At least he's honest enough to say he doesn't feel able to make the commitment. Sounds like Walsh didn't give him any assurances that he would be any more likely to be a starter than under Mullholland. Interesting that he was able to admit that he (and others ) underachieved since 2005. Probably had little choice though.

Armstrong was never in the class of Meehan and his biggest problem was finding a position for him as he bulked up and slowed down. He was not a good enough passer to play at 11 and he suffered for that.

Should benefit Salthill though, both he and Hanley have been poor in club games for the past few years.

I know Galway have a serious winter planned, the feeling among the new management team is they are physically way behind everyone else. They have trained since the end of Oct.

He was the most frustrating player I've ever seen from the footballer's side, a Tony Óg if you will. He had such a boot on him when things went well but on a bad day he'd take an extra solo or hop that wasn't on. He was a man on fire along with Meehan against Cork two years back but it just wasn't to be. Really must be personally devastating to see how light his pockets are with medals after he broke onto the scene with Meehan and his superb All-Ireland club win. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

Aye, his best days I think came in his early years when he first came onto the team; it was easier then when he was surrounded by the likes of Joyce and Paul Clancy, men who had had success and who 'carried' him to a certain extent. I felt he went back a lot in more recent years as his finishing and team play disimproved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Don't think that he was harshly treated last year at all. Part of the problem was farting around between Cummins and Armstrong, not showing faith in either of them. Armstrong knows that it is time to move on.

Sean was a great player in his prime, played some great games for his club, best of luck to him for the future.

Bearna played their first ever u21 county final yesterday but went down to Corofin.

It was Corofin's first game since they won the north board final on MAY 10th!!

Annaghdown hoping to show their draw with Corofin was no fluke in the replay of the Senior League final today. It was the only game Corofin failed to win in 2014.

Corofin won the league final today by 6 points. Annaghdown started fairly well but Corofin took over to dominate for the rest of the first half. Annaghdown missed a couple of goal opportunities to tighten in but did get a goal to bring it back to 3 during the 2nd half. Corofin pushed on again though to win well. Really looked like they could step it up another couple of gears if they needed to despite making a few changes.

I'm sure both sides will be glad of the break at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Damien Hayes retires

Great servant and some great memories. Pity he never won the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Really great servant to the maroon and white jersey. Always good for a couple of scores and could never be faulted for effort. Very clever hurler too.

I think I'm right in saying he's our all time top goal scorer in the championship, although I expect in a few years time he'll be a distant second to his club mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sad to see Damien leave without that elusive All-Ireland medal but he did everything he could. Been a great player for Galway. I'm sure he'll still be seen at the matches in the future.

another good hurler who didn't get the celtic cross, when you look at the players Galway have had over the years its amazing that they didn't win an all ireland forwards alone, Joe McGrath, Joe Rabbite, Eugene cloogan, Kevin Broderick, Damien Hayes, i wonder will Joe Canning be add to that list in the years ahead.

A fantastic servant with no ego about him. Always stayed on the pitch for ages signing autographs win/lose/draw before Joe was getting plaudits for it. Best of luck to him. Personal favourite is his goal against Tipp in 05.

• Advertisement

He gave his all for the cause. In his career he played in Galway teams that were flaky and hot and cold but he was always a 100% player. He had some very good days in the Galway jersey but probably will be a bit disappointed himself with the 2012 final.

Wasn't really at the races when he came on last summer so probably the right time to bow out. Still hurling quite well for Portumna though and may add to his medal collection with them yet.

Its nearly impossible to be optimistic for 2015 but hopefully a few new players can emerge during the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Another Legend not to win a Celtic Cross.
    However he gave his all.
    Got some rewards. All Stars, Club Titles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Wasn't really at the races when he came on last summer so probably the right time to bow out.

Looked at the drawn game vs KK over the Xmas and I actually thought he did quite well when he came on. Won't say he turned the game in Galway's favour singlehandedly but his direct running and distribution did ask a few questions and I think in some way provoked the players around him and the rest is history. Wasn't as effective in the replay but there wasn't the same space for him or anyone else that day.
    Looking at the Galway county final on the box I thought he was one of the best for Portumna on the day. Certainly full of running and energy for an 'oul lad'.

citykat wrote: »
    Looked at the drawn game vs KK over the Xmas and I actually thought he did quite well when he came on. Won't say he turned the game in Galway's favour singlehandedly but his direct running and distribution did ask a few questions and I think in some way provoked the players around him and the rest is history. Wasn't as effective in the replay but there wasn't the same space for him or anyone else that day.
    Looking at the Galway county final on the box I thought he was one of the best for Portumna on the day. Certainly full of running and energy for an 'oul lad'.

Ummm.... had a good spell after HT, but didn't really stand out before or after.

His retirement is no great surprise, in reality his legs were practically gone for the past couple of seasons, ('12 was probably his last good one.)

His 'dodgy' goal V Tipp in '05 was a standout, it brought Galway right back into a game in which they were trailing by 10 at one stage. He always had great heart and gave it everything; not always the lengthiest or tidiest of strikers, he was a good finisher nevertheless. In later years his determination was demonstrated by the fact that he often left his home in Portumna in the evening and went wading in the sea in Salthill to help his injury-prone legs. A fine servant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭flatty

His goal vs cork in the league final was a beauty. Good luck to him. A great great player. I'd hate to have tried to mark him.

Galway edge out Leitrim today to make it 2 from 2 in the FBD. Have GMIT next weekend, but are into the final anyway.

The results in the competition are pretty irrelevant in the wider context but an early season run out against most likely Mayo can only be a useful workout ahead of the start of the league. An almost completely different side today again to last Sunday which is good to see as often with a new manager, he'd stick with the same 19 or 20 players to get a few wins.

Good result too for NUIG beating Roscommon with a number of Galway players on their team. Come the start of the league there might be a bit of competition for places which is welcome.

Meath up in the first game of the league will be a tough one but I think with 4 games at home and no real standout team in division 2 Galway need to make a serious push for promotion this season if they are to have any significant ambitions of a good championship campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Agree that promotion and maybe a division 2 final place at Croke Park would be a good indicator of progress for the footballers. Was at the league finals last year and of the 4 teams who contested Div 1 and 2 finals only Derry had a bad championship.

Here are the fixtures for the league - first team HA

FOOTBALL
    Sunday 1 February: Galway v Meath
    Sunday 8 February: Westmeath v Galway.
    Sunday 1 March: Galway v Laois
    Sunday 8 March: Down v Galway
    Sunday 15 March: Galway v Cavan [Double Header]
    Sunday 29 March: Roscommon v Galway.
    Sunday 5 April: Galway v Kildare

HURLING
    Sunday February 15th: Galway v Clare.
    Sunday February 22nd: Tipperary v Galway.
    Sunday March 8th: Galway v Kilkenny..
    Sunday March 15th: Galway v Cork [Double Header]
    Sunday March 22nd: Dublin v Galway.

Footballers into the FBD final next week after a win over GMIT. Roscommon beat Mayo in Castlebar so will be Galway's opponents in the final. Also have to play them in the league but useful run out ahead of the league nonetheless. No venue announced yet but think I saw that Roscommon would have home advantage. Think it is next weekend.

Hurlers beat Westmeath by 8 after only leading by 2 at half time. Jason Flynn seemed to be the go to man today. Playing Offaly next week for a place in the semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

When and where will be the Roscommon match be ?

degzs wrote: »

I think next weekend (probably Sunday) at a Roscommon venue but that has yet to be confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

gammygils wrote: »
    Another Legend not to win a Celtic Cross.
    However he gave his all.
    Got some rewards. All Stars, Club Titles

I wonder how many more will retire before we win one. There was a always held breaths when Hayes got the ball in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

degzs wrote: »

It's on out in Kiltoom (St Brigid's ground) which is near to Athlone. Could they have put it on any feckin further away from Galway?? Really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

In fairness it's probably the only suitable venue outside of Hyde Park.

There won't be many from Galway travelling to it anyway, our level of support over the last few years has become abysmal. We're now the number 1 sunshine supporter county unfortunately. 45,000 bought tickets for the Kilkenny replay a couple of years ago but come the first rounds of the league we'll be lucky to get 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

The NUIG Kilkenny Walsh Cup game has been switched to Friday.

There are roadworks in Durrow Co. Laois so there's a long diversion via Johnstown and Fresford to get to Ballyraggett if anyone is making the trip.

Good pitch in Kiltoom. Thought they might have it in Ballyforan as it's almost on the border, but anyway. Hopefully will be a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It's on out in Kiltoom (St Brigid's ground) which is near to Athlone. Could they have put it on any feckin further away from Galway?? Really annoying.

depends where you live as for example ballinasloe would be around a 25 minutes drive to Kiltoom.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In fairness it's probably the only suitable venue outside of Hyde Park.

There won't be many from Galway travelling to it anyway, our level of support over the last few years has become abysmal. We're now the number 1 sunshine supporter county unfortunately. 45,000 bought tickets for the Kilkenny replay a couple of years ago but come the first rounds of the league we'll be lucky to get 1000.

Well the footballers have barely won a game of note in 14 years now so naturally enough people get tired of going.
    Especially coming off the base we had.

There were still decent enough crowds going to the non Mayo championship games up to 2011(ish).
    I think there was a sizeable crowd at the Westmeath qualifier defeat around 2010(?).
    The point it got really bad was 2012 when there was pittance at the Sligo game.

Don't think people from Galway are any worse than attending than any other contending county who constantly underachieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

nootroc wrote: »
    The NUIG Kilkenny Walsh Cup game has been switched to Friday.

There are roadworks in Durrow Co. Laois so there's a long diversion via Johnstown and Fresford to get to Ballyraggett if anyone is making the trip.

Game is off due to the death of Johnny Ryan RIP (father of Lester) in a farm accident.

Be careful lads.

Kilkenny have withdrawn from the Walsh Cup as a mark of respect for the late Johnny Ryan who was involved in a tragic farm accident. Sympathies with the family and friends.

citykat wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Ya, I removed it it was a little insensitive

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement