Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your team's greatest hammerings (handed out) and hammerings (suffered)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Meath 2001, I'll never forget. Was delighted when they were beaten by Galway in the final after their fans OTT celebration of a Semi-Final. In my defence I was 10 years old, and not used to losing big games.

I'll always tell fans to stop the Olé chants when Kerry are hammering a team, because it brings back awful memories of 01 (plus its being a dick to players who bust their ass off for their county, why put them down because they are being beaten).

Hammerings handed out, there are a good few.

Any hammering of Cork will always live long in the memory, but this years one was quite sweet. Nothing compares to the Dublin hammering in 09. The shock of it happening mixed with the brilliance of the football was a joy to behold.

Plenty of hammerings down in Munster, most recently of Waterford a couple of years ago, with 4 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Tyrone fan here

Biggest hammerings dished out:
    Hmm hammering Donegal in 2007 Ulster semi-final was a bit of a surprise at the time, Donegal were talked up a bit that year
    Same with Monaghan in the 2010 Ulster Final
    Dublin in 2008 was memorable, played some great football that day. The great thing about that noughties side imo was that the players nearly always took the right option.

Biggest defeats:
    Meath in 1996, Derry in 1997. Can barely remember but we were hammered in both matches.
    2011 quarter-final against Dublin, could've been beaten by 20 points. They were on a different level to us. I don't know if that was down to our players getting on - there was nothing between Kerry and Dublin in the all-ireland that year and Kerry would've had a similar age profile I imagine. Apparently Jordan, Dooher and McGinley's bodies are wrecked and they retired after that match, as did Hughes and McGuigan though the latter came back for another year when Sean Cavanagh had a season-ending injury.
    2012 qualifier against Kerry, well beaten again.More retirements in the aftermath.
    League match against Kerry this year. I admire how Kerry are still at the top.
    Wasn't televised but I was at the Armagh qualifier this year and it was the worst I've seen Tyrone under Mickey Harte. No fight in the team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

i remember sitting in the hogan stand 1990 leinster hurling semil final offaly 3-8 kilkenny 0-0 25 minutes gone most from kilkenny went home at half time i think it was 4-16 to 2-9 at the end, also bad defeats in 94 and 95 from offaly they were a team we couldn't get a handle on back then when they were at their best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry here:

Hammerings received,

Very rarely, Meath in 2001 stands out.

Hammerings dished out:

Tyrone in 2012 was by far the sweetest and most badly needed, Kerry trounced them off the field that day. Dublin of 2009 was another great victory and finally Cork of 2002 where Kerry set down a marker and established a hoodoo with Cork in Croke Park that very day.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

the 2012 win over Tyrone was the sweetest don't think that made up for the two all irelands that Tyrone beatkerry in anyway Tyrone were finish in 2012
    kerry couldn't beat that team in their prime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement