Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakeries

Options
  • 21-11-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the Oven Door in Middle St - yummy scones, cakes etc at reasonable prices, and reasonable sized portions.

Just wondering what other good bakeries there are around the city?

Not cafes that do their own baking, just bakeries that make stuff for takeaway / home use.

Edit: Particularly ones that bake bread.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Bakeries eh :P

I'm quite curious about this as I've found there's a bizarre lack of bakeries in and around Galway, often I've taken a stroll and got a hankering for baked goods.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the expensive Gourmet Tart Co. and as you've mentioned, the Oven Door, and then there's Griffins on shop street too but that's really not my cup of tea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ya the Oven Door is a favourite, as are the tarts in Gourmet Tart. There's also O'Connors on Eglinton / Francis Street but would prefer the others.

Don't know if it counts as its not within the city limits but Sticky Bakes in Oranmore is lush. Really nice cakes and brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I usually only get stuff from Le Petit Délice, I prefer their stuff over all the other bakeries I've tried. Haven't been to the Oven Door yet, must have a look soon...

Edit: For anyone working/living out near the racecourse, there's a bakery there, really nice, but cannot remember the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Space Dog wrote: »
    I usually only get stuff from Le Petit Délice, I prefer their stuff over all the other bakeries I've tried. Haven't been to the Oven Door yet, must have a look soon...

Edit: For anyone working/living out near the racecourse, there's a bakery there, really nice, but cannot remember the name...

I had to google this to see were they are.
    http://frenchfoodieindublin.blogspot.ie/2013/08/french-foodie-in-galway-le-petit-delice.html

Must have walked by them on Maingaurd St many times and never took much notice. Whats the bread like?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I had to google this to see were they are.
    http://frenchfoodieindublin.blogspot.ie/2013/08/french-foodie-in-galway-le-petit-delice.html

Must have walked by them on Maingaurd St many times and never took much notice. Whats the bread like?

Bread can vary, had sourdough and rye bread on a few occasions, always lovely, then I got the sourdough again a few weeks ago and there was absolutely no taste to it, it was just bland, don't now what happened, hope they just had a bad day. Cakes and pastries have always been excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

i like griffins cause its close to town and i dont have to sit in a car all day in traffic and all that.

i see what you are doing there Mrs OBumble :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have to put a mention in for Bacus Bearna stuff that is stocked in Joyces. Their appletart is just amazing, the only one I've ever tasted to rival my grannies. Old style and you can really taste the quality and the effort made in making it, not like the conveyor belt style mush you get from other popular cafe/bakery places in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

swiftman wrote: »
    i like griffins cause its close to town and i dont have to sit in a car all day in traffic and all that.

Can be very busy in there, not great layout and can be hard to get by people..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Great idea for a thread :D I'd like to find somewhere that makes a decent variety of bread too, preferably outside of town so I don't have to drive in and get stuck in traffic, there are lots of choices when it comes to cake and pastries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I get my croissants and baguettes in Le Petit Délice because they're the best.

And because of the free bike parking right outside the door. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Le Petit Delice for me! Although recent price hikes and portion size cutting are offputting.

Griffins also.

The one in Parkmore is called Alan's Bakery. Not sure if it's still open. They have a Facebook page that doesn't appear to have been updated in some time.

Advertiser article on them :
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49591/breads-cakes-and-buns-at-alans-bakery

Isn't there a bakery under the Twelve Hotel in Barna?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Petit Delice is by far and a way the best in town, Griffins is way overpriced and ive never gotten anything nice in there, Oven Door is just a cheaper Griffins for me, love the smell they pipe out but again never got anything particularly good in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I used to get lovely carraway seed cake in Griffins. Does anyone know if they still do it, or if any other bakery does?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The French bakery in the Cornstore was the best. Their baguettes and croissants were the biz.

These days, I opt for pre-baked in Lidl :eek:

Also agree there is a market for a decently priced bakery in town. If anyone is looking for a start-up business idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They made excellent sandwiches as well. And their almond croissants were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The deli in Daybreak beside Supermacs in Eyre Sq bake a small selection of breads instore now. Their soda bread in particular tastes lovely.
    I was never a fan of the French place and Griffen's is too expensive and awkward to move in. I never remember the Oven Door.
    O Connors is OK but there really is an opening for a traditional style bakery in town.
    Also why do they all close at 6 every day? Before Daybreak started doing their own the only choice if I ran out in the evening were Brennans or Pat the Baker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

These days, I opt for pre-baked in Lidl :eek:

Also agree there is a market for a decently priced bakery in town. If anyone is looking for a start-up business idea..

+1, nice to be able to get freshly baked bread nationwide rather than the cuisine de France reheated stuff we became accustomed to

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

There are 2 or 3 stalls in the market each saturday selling freshly baked produce.I like the bread from the one up near the fish stall,then there's the one further down selling olive bread,onion bread etc.,and lets not forget the bagel stand and the yummy doughnuts in the stand beside it.

Oven door are good at certain things (scones,brown bread) Griffins are good at old school staples (batch,grinder,rock buns etc) and Petit Delice are good at classic French stuff (obviously..croissant,baguette) but tastes like very high butter content in the croissants-nice but not every morning if you're watching calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

petit délice......the only place to go.

Owldshtok wrote: »
    There are 2 or 3 stalls in the market each saturday selling freshly baked produce.I like the bread from the one up near the fish stall,then there's the one further down selling olive bread,onion bread etc.,and lets not forget the bagel stand and the yummy doughnuts in the stand beside it.

Oven door are good at certain things (scones,brown bread) Griffins are good at old school staples (batch,grinder,rock buns etc) and Petit Delice are good at classic French stuff (obviously..croissant,baguette) but tastes like very high butter content in the croissants-nice but not every morning if you're watching calories!

Thats Gourmet Tart i think? The German/Austrian couple who are there on Saturdays/Sundays do some lovely slices of brownies, tarts, cakes too and not as dear as some others down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Have to say that even though Griffin's have nice stuff...I have started avoiding them as i think their produce is way overpriced and i find their staff are rude. :(
    I go to McCambridges and I think the Gourmet Tart can do nice stuff too.
    And don't forget o'connors!

Have to say that even though Griffin's have nice stuff...I have started avoiding them as i think their produce is way overpriced and i find their staff are rude. :(
    I go to McCambridges and I think the Gourmet Tart can do nice stuff too.
    And don't forget o'connors!

McCambridges bread/pastries are done by Petit Delice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

McCambridges bread/pastries are done by Petit Delice.

true...and they at about 30 - 50 cent onto each product.

Go straight to petit delice - also try their 'day old bake' - a selection of breads/pastries (5 - 6) for approx 2 Euro, still fresh - excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'm a big fan of the Oven Door in Middle St - yummy scones, cakes etc at reasonable prices, and reasonable sized portions.

Just wondering what other good bakeries there are around the city?

Not cafes that do their own baking, just bakeries that make stuff for takeaway / home use.

Edit: Particularly ones that bake bread.

Just try that Bridie Murphy(?) behind the Westside SC. Scones to die for and Porridge bread like you have never tasted. Putting on jam would spoil it. Best I have ever tasted. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

bobbyss wrote: »
    Just try that Bridie Murphy(?) behind the Westside SC. Scones to die for and Porridge bread like you have never tasted. Putting on jam would spoil it. Best I have ever tasted. 10/10

Gone from there a while. Bacus barna in that unit now.

westy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

westgolf wrote: »
    Gone from there a while. Bacus barna in that unit now.

westy.

You must be thinking of a different place.
    Was there today. Unit has Bridie Murphy signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

bobbyss wrote: »
    You must be thinking of a different place.
    Was there today. Unit has Bridie Murphy signage.

Unit 2 was hers. Definitely bacus barna now as we collect from there twice a week.

westy

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

westgolf wrote: »
    Unit 2 was hers. Definitely bacus barna now as we collect from there twice a week.

westy

Maybe we are both mixed up. But.

I bought some bread yesterday in that bakery whose name is Bridie Murphy's. I don't now which unit it is. I think it is next door to Madra and on his other side (I think) is a unit whose signage was blinds and curtain. I know this because as I was leaving a lady stopped me to ask was there a blinds shop here and I pointed out a shop to her that had a new signage on it but there was old signage which had left an imprint on the building called Blinds and Curtains or some such. This blinds shop was I think just beside the bakery that I had just left.

You may be mixed up or I may be mixed up regarding which unit is where. I really don't know because as a customer I would not be bothered about the numbering of the units but I can guarantee you that the porridge bread I bought there on Saturday was divine!!! And I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The one near the racecourse is called Alan's Bakery. It used to have a shop but now only does wholesale. Shame as it was handy for a snack after gymnastics class next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The sour dough from Petite Delice is also on sale in Joyces. Shove it into the grill for 2 minutes and spread lots of Kerrygold on it. When drunk, this is better than any auld kebab or curried coleslaw snackbox or whatever ye young folks are eating these days.

Advertisement