Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones Game

Options
  • 03-06-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

I wonder will there ever be a proper Game of Thrones game , not like the TellTale games but like a proper Skyrim type game

Wouldn't even have to be great I would just love to go around Westeros and explore. Is it only me that wants this ? Surely there'd be an appetite for it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd love a well made one. Better than Skyrim. It'd be difficult to create though, as the standard for such an Action RPG would be extremely high so it wouldn't be referred to as a cash cow.

Bethsoft are one company I wouldn't like to pick up on it though.

The Mount and Blade Mod will tide me over in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Grand Theft Westeros, I'd play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

There is one that allows you to explore westeros in an RPG environment but its meh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't think that the Tell Tale model worked aswell as it did for Walking Dead , I'd love the guys who made Oblivion to have a crack at it.

It wouldn't even have to be set during the TV series even if it they set in the age of heros years before whats going on now

I think as we've seen with the Arkham Games tie ins can be done well if the proper studio etc take control of it and people will flock and buy it and the cash cow arguement will go out the window then , the opposite of that i suppose would be the marvel games , they farmed them out to sega and Ironman, Captain America and Thor games were all awful games....thats a cash in

CD Projeck Red and Pre-Skyrim Bethesda are the only companies I'd be excited about picking this up, maybe Bioware and Rocksteady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

There is a game although I'm not sure if its on pc or is console only. You can play through two storylines with characters from lesser houses iirc.

Found it on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208730/

Its definitely one for the fanboys though. I played it on xbox and wouldn't be anywhere near elder scrolls or witcher games. I enjoyed it though but if I really like a series it doesn't matter if the game is good or bad I'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I like the TellTale game but yes, an "Open World Sandbox" like Red Dead or GTA be brilliant

I think "Witcher 3" is supposed be very similar - even has Charles Dance in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd say talks, if not plans, are in motion with Bethesda since the elder scrolls online was such a flop.

Once fallout 4 is out of the way. Might be a few years yet :pac:

There is a mod for crusader kings 2 which is pretty fun (in a ck2 fashion). Play as the house of your choosing and rule with an iron fist or a sly tongue a la littlefigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think for a proper GoT MMORPG to work, it would need to capture the chaos of that world with an extremely open sandbox style of play. That is, rather than following quests or a storyline specifically, "overthrow the king" or "collect 12 direwolf pelts", you engineer a world where any player can build up armies and alliances from scratch and become the actual king/queen themselves. Or just the lord of Winterfell if they don't want to set their sights too high.

Limit each server to about 100 players, throw in a couple of NPC houses and clans (so people can make some kind of alliances), white walkers and other "outside" influences and just let it develop. Dragons of course should be rare as hen's teeth, that's if anyone even finds them at all.

Some servers would become peaceful-ish places, almost minecraft-like in how they work. Other servers would become savage places where players really have to struggle to survive and the king changes every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

seamus wrote: »
    I think for a proper GoT MMORPG to work, it would need to capture the chaos of that world with an extremely open sandbox style of play. That is, rather than following quests or a storyline specifically, "overthrow the king" or "collect 12 direwolf pelts", you engineer a world where any player can build up armies and alliances from scratch and become the actual king/queen themselves. Or just the lord of Winterfell if they don't want to set their sights too high.

Limit each server to about 100 players, throw in a couple of NPC houses and clans (so people can make some kind of alliances), white walkers and other "outside" influences and just let it develop. Dragons of course should be rare as hen's teeth, that's if anyone even finds them at all.

Some servers would become peaceful-ish places, almost minecraft-like in how they work. Other servers would become savage places where players really have to struggle to survive and the king changes every few weeks.

It's been done to death, but give players any sort of freedom and it all eventually boils down to COD. See a player, kill a player (Dayz, H1Z1, Reign of Kings, Rust, Arma, Ark).

Only people who don't automatically kill/robe you are friends or actual role playing players on a role playing server, which are hard to come by.

Great ideas though if they worked...

As long as the game had the combat style of Chivalry! Feel like Jamie ''fcuking'' Lannister whenever i try swing a sword in Skyrim! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Taylor365 wrote: »
    It's been done to death, but give players any sort of freedom and it all eventually boils down to COD. See a player, kill a player (Dayz, H1Z1, Reign of Kings, Rust, Arma, Ark).

Only people who don't automatically kill/robe you are friends or actual role playing players on a role playing server, which are hard to come by.

Great ideas though if they worked...
    Yeah, I guess I envisioned something which while being a sandbox was more than a free-for-all.

If you could involving huge maps and longer timelines, then it's not quite a matter of camping and slaughtering. If someone is marching an army from (for example) Winterfell to the wall, it will take 4 hours in real time to get there, during which the person at the wall will have received ravens or other reports of the army on the move and will be able to make strategic moves to defend themselves.

I guess while I say "100 players", each of those players would be lords, with lands and soldiers, etc.

Sort of a mix of a traditional MMORPG with strategy games like Civ5, C&C thrown in, but without any major narrative or expectation on how to behave. Maybe it sounds better in my head than it would be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No, it sounds brilliant. I could absolutely see myself getting into something like that if I had time and it didn't require a gaming rig (i.e. could be played on a standard business laptop, even if at the low graphics settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Give me a console one please

Give me a console one please

I'd like a Lamborghini too!

If it came out to me an MMORPG, it'd be PC only IMO
    An ARPG could easily be made cross platform

The more I think about it, the more i think a hybrid between Mount and Blade and TES would work

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

A fusion of Total War and Crusader Kings would be what I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

There's a decent Civilization V mod for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

A fusion of Total War and Crusader Kings would be what I'd like to see.

Basically the Fantasy Flight board game, but with RTS battles?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Kunkka wrote: »
    There's a decent Civilization V mod for it.

There is? :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    There is? :eek:

Yup, it's very well done, if you play as the Starks your unique unit is bands of Dire wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup, it's very well done, if you play as the Starks your unique unit is bands of Dire wolves.

I really need to be more accepting of Steam mods :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Cormac... wrote: »
    I really need to be more accepting of Steam mods :o

Read the instructions in detail because I was lazy and it took me a while to get it to work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Basically the Fantasy Flight board game, but with RTS battles?

Haven't played any of the Fantasy Flight board games, but essentially what I'm after is more in depth intrigue and diplomacy than in the Total War games, while retaining its RTS battles. Also the ability to form covert alliances say like Roose Bolton and Tywin did or the option to change your allegiance during an RTS battle would be cool.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Massive Chalice looks like there's a bit of GoT influence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

The existing GOT rpg game is on sale at the minute on steam until the 22nd.

Advertisement