Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD for Random Photos LI

Options
  • 17-05-2015 8:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is where you can post comments about images in the Random Photos Thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posted by CabanSail:

6ADB4B5946FE4A6DA826127991741F2C-0000318539-0003723484-00800L-769CE6AE25D745B98C26CE0933DD41BD.jpg

the red text is very intrusive, but the underlying photo seems to be quite solid if a bit touristy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Cheeky sod :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suppose if someone wants specific feedback about their own photo, they could post it here themselves and seek feedback on specific points?

anyway, i'll start with this one, a genuine one from cabansail:

701BF33112974983935509B6ED6BB51C-0000318539-0003762244-00800L-18696CDA168B483885F7091F68D60876.jpg

i know it's partly due to me preferring to use a darker display, but i reckon brightening up the front of the recycling bank is worth a try; it's in shade and may not be immediately obvious as to what it is; it's a bit too much of a dark rectangle at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

i just did that as a bit of fun. It appealed to me in a weird way when I say the recycle centre situated just below the graves in the cemetery. They look OK on the screen on my laptop, but I could do a bit of dodging on the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like it as it's a bit cheeky. Your typical Irish set up, landscape and auld recycling bins thrown in there. :P

Maybe it's a bit subtle but the point was the two types of recycling going on in the image. One at the base the other at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

posted by mystic86:

hEJpRF1.jpg

nice photo, but unfortunately the square format has chopped the sides a bit tight; i think it'd look more balanced if you could see a strip of the yellow wall down the left and right roughly equivalent to what you can see above and below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

posted by mystic86:

nice photo, but unfortunately the square format has chopped the sides a bit tight; i think it'd look more balanced if you could see a strip of the yellow wall down the left and right roughly equivalent to what you can see above and below.

I agree. I recently, after a conversation with another user, have been trying to use only 12x8, 10x8, 16x9 or 1x1 aspect ratio's and so the sides are clipped. I should fix it and forget the aspect ratio :)

• Advertisement

posted by the_monkey:

10532309946_cb1046a95c_c.jpg

the processing is too flat on this. it seems to be more textural than photographic; there's no sense of scale or contrast.

posted by beth-lou:

18196557548_5075ed9fd1_c.jpg

i don't know whether the original image has the blown highlights, or whether they've been added in processing; but if they were already there, the processing has helped to make them more obvious.
    but in general, the photo looks over-processed; would benefit from the sky being dialled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

posted by beth-lou:

18196557548_5075ed9fd1_c.jpg

i don't know whether the original image has the blown highlights, or whether they've been added in processing; but if they were already there, the processing has helped to make them more obvious.
    but in general, the photo looks over-processed; would benefit from the sky being dialled back.

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a go.

beth-lou wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a go.

I see you took it on your iphone - had you done much post processing?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

No. I just hit one of the photoshop filters for black and white. I might bring it in in colour and see where I go from there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95734145&postcount=137

bluebell woods, posted by portlawslim.

those images are slightly radioactive. there's no richness to the colours.

i seem to have this thread to myself. maybe it can be named after me when i die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You're not alone.

I lurk here, trying to glean some tips from the comments. Feel free to have a crack at any of mine that I have put up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95734145&postcount=137

bluebell woods, posted by portlawslim.

those images are slightly radioactive. there's no richness to the colours.

i seem to have this thread to myself. maybe it can be named after me when i die.
    Thanks for the C&C, I'll have to go back and look at them again to see if I can improve the colours.

Thanks for the C&C, I'll have to go back and look at them again to see if I can improve the colours.

Probably nothing wrong with the image itself, it's more likely to be the result of over saturation in post production.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

I'll stick myself in here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95889663&postcount=233

The swan on the right hand side (the white blob) annoys me - I'm tempted to remove it because it's not grey. There's a couple of other white spots, due to hard water contamination in my final wash - which gives rise to dark spots on the negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

mystic86 wrote: »
    SFpitIY.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:
    What exactly is this?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Caterpillar? :) Check the green.

Tiriel wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    What exactly is this?!

not sure, found him in my cornflakes this morning ;)

Quite a luminous fellow you managed to capture there.

posted by Art Deko

18529897608_d4b1e0aee6_c.jpg

it's a bit dark on the left, which makes it look slightly unbalanced, or 'spotlighty' in the centre.

18872394546_7f35ca5b16_c.jpg

Not a criticism, who am I to criticise, but I was just wondering did you do a lot of dodging on his eyes or something?

His head looks like a cardboard cut-out :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

mystic86 wrote: »

His head looks like a cardboard cut-out :p

Jaysus, I thought it was a cardboard mask and I was wondering who he was supposed to represent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Jaysus, I thought it was a cardboard mask and I was wondering who he was supposed to represent! :)

I thought it looked a little like a sad Bill O’Herlihy mask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

penev10 wrote: »
    367F1591B79142EC88CC7D83AA7D9B7C-0000355675-0003769683-00800L-6994336EB5D34D029DFAA221C59406AD.jpg

Very dramatic subject. I probably wouldn't have made the effect quite so strong while editing, though. Sepia and sharpening are fine, but what looks like HDR (might be wrong) seems like it could be pushed slightly too far. On the left hand side of the picture, there is a "halo" effect around the car, for instance. The fact that someone's carved "I love sex" into the side of it really adds to the image, I think, so I just feel like you could convey that kind of grimy atmosphere a little more if the post-processing was sliiightly more subtle. Overall, striking image, though. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Very dramatic subject. I probably wouldn't have made the effect quite so strong while editing, though. Sepia and sharpening are fine, but what looks like HDR (might be wrong) seems like it could be pushed slightly too far. On the left hand side of the picture, there is a "halo" effect around the car, for instance. The fact that someone's carved "I love sex" into the side of it really adds to the image, I think, so I just feel like you could convey that kind of grimy atmosphere a little more if the post-processing was sliiightly more subtle. Overall, striking image, though. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback :D I have a tendency to over cook images in processing as I experiment and then never reel it back in enough!

No HDR just brought out the detail in the shadows and reduced the highlights. I upped the contrast on the "I Love SEX" region so it stood out, wasn't sure if anyone would notice it at 800px so glad you saw it! I think the halo is from over use of clarity? Will need to show more restraint.

Thanks again for taking time to comment.

Advertisement