Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training & sex drive

Options
  • 07-02-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys, Myself and my friend start very hard weight training program a few weeks back and everything has been going well until a few days ago when my friend came to me and said he has a problem. He told me he is worried about his sex drive and has very little interest in women. Now he is on a low carbs/high protein diet for some photo thing coming up. Could this be to blame? I didn't know what to say to him. Does anyone else have a problem like this or can tell me why this has happened my friend. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

I doubt it's the weights for any specific reason, if he's eating low carb it could be he's eating well under what he normally does (all the potatoes/bread/rice etc most people eat out) and combined with the intense exercise is well under maintenance calories leaving him feeling a bit knackered in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

nope, weight trainig definately has nothing to do with his low sex drive. actually it should be d opposite. his sex drive meant to increase.

simply google "weight training and sex drive" would even tell you more

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Aren't carbohydrates for generating energy? If he's cutting them out he's probably low on energy and therefore sex drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Flashpoint

ya he is down to about 400-600 cals a day I think, everything he can cut out he has, he lost like 6 pounds last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

400-600 calories is dangerously low, hope he knows what he's doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Flashpoint wrote: »
    ya he is down to about 400-600 cals a day I think, everything he can cut out he has, he lost like 6 pounds last week

Terrible idea on his part. If he's doing a heavy weights programme he needs to be taking in at least the recommended minimum amount for an active adult male (somewhere in the region of 1200 calories I think). The programme won't be as effective if he's not eating properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ok this is starting to veer towards medical advice.OP,it is dangerous to have such a rapid change in diet over such a short period of time,coupled with intense training,he could end up doing more harm than good.Tell him to speak with a proper dietician/trainer and learn how to ease himself into a tough fitness regime.

Just to add,I got a PM from a mod that would have alot of knowledge in relation to health,diet and fitness and he informed me that a VLCD (very low calorie diet) can play absolute havoc with testosterone levels so OP,tell your buddy to get a consultation with a certified nutritionist ASAP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement