Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Myth -the Super Capable Best Friend - How do you get one.

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a review of the new Catherine Zeta-Jones movie "The Rebound" with C Z-J as a cougar.
    Her transformation is jollied along by the helpful efforts of Bartha, whose character occupies the same cosy space normally reserved for Gay Best Friend – a trusted romcom constant known for cooking, cleaning, listening and reliable childcare.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2010/0716/1224274781581.html

Thats not what I am asking about -its the super capable best friend -a personal McGyver and why have I never had a friend like that.

Hugh Grant had Spike in "Notting Hill" and he could be incitefull and even cook a bit. Probably cleaned up a lot and did the ironing.

My friends seem to know nothing about cooking, cars or DIY.

I feel cheated.

This is partially tongue in cheek but on a serious note,the nature of friends in adult life what position do they hold and how do we behave as best friends.

How do we relate to and help out our friends. We know how it is with the "lads" at school and college. I have a friend who is the tops on relationships -work ,personal etc and his enthusiasm is infectious mid 40's and recently hurt his back playing tag rugby with women on a Saturday. Don't ask.

What makes an adult best friend for a guy. Shared interests,activities mentor and what boundaries etc are there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

CDfm wrote: »
    What makes an adult best friend for a guy. Shared interests,activities mentor and what boundaries etc are there.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "adult best friend" all my friends are are adults :P

But i'm pretty lucky as my best friend has always been my best friend. We grew up on the same street and he is a year older then me. Our parents are friends so we have just always been friends.
    We are very different people who disagree about a lot of stuff and don't have too much in common but somehow we get along very well.
    Most of my other childhood friends I've kind of drifted away from but i still see them every now and then.

The friends i've made as an adult have mostly been from jobs. We always have stuff in common mostly music and going to see bands. Most are single like me so they have become my drinking buddies as my older friends have started to settle down.

I've made some great friends in my adult years but I'll always feel closer to the friends I've had since i was a kid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A good mate of mine is an engineer, we dont a lot of DIY together from pouring a concrete floor to digging up a pretty big garden by hand.. he's good to have around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Well my g/f has friends that save the world, rescue animals, run marathons. I even suspect one of them of selling my life as storylines to a soap opera.

Some of my friends are women and they do lots of life affirming stuff as well as firming up life stuff. Lots of group stuff.The guys don't. I am on a pub quiz team and was brought to it by the girls.

Yup - one of my friends has all the car stuff but still calls mechanics.

So ok, a pouring concrete and garden diggin buddy is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ive got all different types of frineds. I dont really know how we all got together, but we each have a place within the group.

There's the guy who the agony aunt, one who's the 'leader', the waster, the stoner, the lazy one, the mechanic (who can fix anything), the funny one, the one who happens to have everything in his shed, the tough one, the ladies man, and a couple others, (im the smart one:), AKA the nerd)

Great bunch of guys :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've got many types of friends too, but there is only one who I would do ANYTHING for, she's my bestie and I love her so much, she feels pretty much the same to me:D

I think these things just happen out of randomness...I never thought I'd have been such good friends with her but over the last 3 years we've grown pretty close and definitely appreciate the mutual friendship we've gotten from it...I dunno its hard to explain it, although I might be seen as the GBF...I'm straight but feel so close to her and would do anything for her :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have acquired a few friends along the way but there is one woman who I could discuss anything with and she can read me like a book and I her. It is uncanny how alike we are. We even use the same swearwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

We are very different people who disagree about a lot of stuff and don't have too much in common but somehow we get along very well..

This... :pac: Have a few best friends, as in there's 4 or 5 of us who are all great friends with each other. Jokers and drinkers, but I know who to go to for serious advice on different issues. No boundaries to what we'd discuss tbh. I'd go to those lads before I'd go to siblings at this stage if I needed help with something.

A bit like what Mackman described tbh.

Advertisement