Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Irish Coffe weekend

Options
  • 29-05-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

I see it is back again this year.

Anytime I went to it in the past it was great fun, and made for some cracking weekends. One of the better Limerick festivals imho.

If the weather is nice/dry, it would make for a fun day out.

Plus go to the Flying Boat Museum, my grandfather has his photo up there as one of the pilots/crew that flew that route.:)

Just had a look through the email I got and here is what is on.

Friday June 3rd
    3 pm: Official Opening of Festival
    with recital by the Band of An Garda Siochana
    Museum Square.

7 pm: FLOATS ARE BACK !!!!!!
    Foynes Welcome Parade:
    Float Parade through Foynes
    Marching Bands

9 pm: Sean O'Dowd & Hanora on Festival Stage sponsored by Cois Sionna Credit Union Ltd.

11 pm:
    Fireworks Display over River Shannon at Harbour

McFaddens Carnival throughout the weekend

Saturday June 4th
    2 pm: Puppet/Magic Show/Picnic etc.
    in New Coillte Wood Walks with interactive Drum Workshop (weather permitting)

3 pm: "Talamh an Eisc" performing at Museum Square

4 pm:
    Ceili with Shannon Vale Ceili Band in Museum Square

Food Fair in Museum Square

Irish Coffee Making competition/presentations/workshops taking place over the course of the day at Foynes Flying Boat Museum

8.30 pm: "Mad for Road" on Festival Stage sponsored by Cois Sionna Credit Union Ltd.

Sunday June 5th
    2 pm: Vintage Car/Motorbike Rally at West Basin Foynes Harbour with West Limerick Vintage Club

2 pm: 'Fun day on the water at Foynes Yacht Club'

3 pm: "Talamh an Eisc" performing at Museum Square

3 pm: Air Display and Search and Rescue Display over Harbour

3 pm: Mad For Road on Outdoor Stage at Yacht Club

4 pm: Historical Walk of Foynes commencing from Museum Square

8.30 pm: "Blue Ridge Review" on Festival Stage sponsored by Cois Sionna Credit Union Ltd.

Sunday June 5th
    Powers Irish Coffee Making Championship Final
    Guest comedian/MC Alan Shortt
    Irish Coffee Reception
    Buffet meal with complimentary wine
    Music and Dancing with Keith McDonald and the Showband Show
    Tickets are €30 per person (Limited)
    Finalists compete for the prestigious title of
    "Powers Irish Coffee Making Champion 2011".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nobody going? The weather is meant to be fab this coming weekend, and Limerick has an event on, with pretty much everything free to watch bar the dinner/dance on Sunday night.

Plenty of us, myself included, give out about stuff not happening in Limerick and about the bad stuff in Limerick, so it seems only right to try and talk up an event that from personal experience of going to past ones was good fun in the past.

Think about it folks, come the weekend when the weather is sunny what would be the better option, stroll along O'Connell street and then go online to give out about various scumbags, or go to something, have fun, and then come on here to say you had a good day/weekend?

I know I will be choosing the latter option for at least one day of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sounds like a great event again this year Kess.

Pity i won't be in Limerick this weekend as i'd definitely head to Foynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess, just because nobody replied does not mean nobody is interested. You have lots on information in the opening post leaving little question needed.

Now, if only the rowing club had not objected to the flying boat from the Clarion. That would have been a great opening to the event.

Berty wrote: »
    Kess, just because nobody replied does not mean nobody is interested. You have lots on information in the opening post leaving little question needed.

Now, if only the rowing club had not objected to the flying boat from the Clarion. That would have been a great opening to the event.

Darn you Bertie Bassett :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nobody going? The weather is meant to be fab this coming weekend, and Limerick has an event on, with pretty much everything free to watch bar the dinner/dance on Sunday night.

Plenty of us, myself included, give out about stuff not happening in Limerick and about the bad stuff in Limerick, so it seems only right to try and talk up an event that from personal experience of going to past ones was good fun in the past.

Think about it folks, come the weekend when the weather is sunny what would be the better option, stroll along O'Connell street and then go online to give out about various scumbags, or go to something, have fun, and then come on here to say you had a good day/weekend?

I know I will be choosing the latter option for at least one day of the festival.

Herself is from Foynes, so will more than likely be out there at some stage over the weekend, we're also collecting our puppy this weekend so probably only be out there on friday, rest of the weekend will be spent mopping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Passed through earlier - Was pleasant enough, in parts, if a little dead - One band and about 10 Travellers shouting at each other and scowling at the Taxpayer - 30 minutes would be loads, 45 if the Travellers had somewhere else to fcuk up.....

Raiser wrote: »
    Passed through earlier - Was pleasant enough, in parts, if a little dead - One band and about 10 Travellers shouting at each other and scowling at the Taxpayer - 30 minutes would be loads, 45 if the Travellers had somewhere else to fcuk up.....

If I am thinking about the same bunch, they got moved on. A local garda decided to ask a couple to come with him so he could check their vehicles for tax/insurance/whatever it took to encourage them to leave.

They were not travellers though, they were from the city it seems and from an estate on the same side of the city as you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

How true is it that it originated from Foynes by a head chef called Joseph Sheridan?

Any sign of the patron saint of Foynes Maureen O'Hara :)

The_Joker wrote: »
    How true is it that it originated from Foynes by a head chef called Joseph Sheridan?

Any sign of the patron saint of Foynes Maureen O'Hara :)

The Sheridan claim probably holds more water than some of the other claims, as some years after it was meant to be created in Foynes it started to be served in Shannon Airport.

There is an American claim that it was invented in America, but they claim to have invented it a good ten years after it was being served in Foynes, plus there are photographs in the Flying musuem of people in the 1940's drinking was looks to be dead ringers for Irish coffee.

I know my mother's father, my grandfather, who was part of the flying crew on a number of flights in and out of Foynes said that it was served to passengers at Foynes throughout the 1940's.

For my money Foynes has easily as much claim to being the birthplace of Irish Coffee as any of the other claims, and more than most, so anyone who wants to say that it did not start in Limerick can feck off.:D

Plus Ernest Hemingway was pictured drinking it in Foynes in the early or mid 1940's so that's good enough for me :) plus I am pretty sure that Bogart is in a picture with one as well there.

Lucky escape earlier. A plane that was part of the air display at 15:00 crashed. No serious injuries thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Kess73 wrote: »
    Lucky escape earlier. A plane that was part of the air display at 15:00 crashed. No serious injuries thankfully

I spotted that flying over my gaff I knew it was a lot lower than it should've been, strange thing was a biplane flew over before hand, the one that crashed sounded healthier.

AIR ACCIDENT INVESTIGATORS ON THEIR WAY TO THE SCENE OF FOYNES PLANE CRASH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The_Joker wrote: »
    I spotted that flying over my gaff I knew it was a lot lower than it should've been, strange thing was a biplane flew over before hand, the one that crashed sounded healthier.

AIR ACCIDENT INVESTIGATORS ON THEIR WAY TO THE SCENE OF FOYNES PLANE CRASH

Was it not the bi plane that crashed, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Yes, it was the Bi-Plane. Pilot is ok. Investigators from the AAIU (Air Accident Investigation Unit) were in Foynes yesterday and this morning.

Plane will be able to fly again.

Advertisement