Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam results junior sophister

Options
  • 06-06-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some info, I am in 3rd year in trinity college and I received my exam results and I have failed an essay, I did well in all my other exams/assignment and averaged 65% overall so 2.1.

My question is, when I repeat the essay I know it's capped at 40% however, is it 40% overall for 3rd year or just for the one I failed, like once I pass the repeat I still get the 2.1 as 3rd year goes towards my degree next year! So my question is will it effect my overall grade?

I having been going through the handbook but stil unsure about it, any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some info, I am in 3rd year in trinity college and I received my exam results and I have failed an essay, I did well in all my other exams/assignment and averaged 65% overall so 2.1.

My question is, when I repeat the essay I know it's capped at 40% however, is it 40% overall for 3rd year or just for the one I failed, like once I pass the repeat I still get the 2.1 as 3rd year goes towards my degree next year! So my question is will it effect my overall grade?

I having been going through the handbook but stil unsure about it, any advise would be much appreciated.

Hi bri007,

My interpretation would be that the essay mark will be capped at 40%. The 40% will be placed where the fail grade is, and will most likely leave you with 65% or a bit above. I'm not sure how that would be displayed on a transcript however, sometimes it might say "II.1 by additional coursework" or something along those lines.

So, I don't think it will effect your grade overall. However you should contact your Course Director/ Tutor etc. just to be sure!

All the best with 4th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for getting back to me, I got in touch with my tutor who informed me the essay will be capped at 40 % and it won't effect my overall grade.

Thanks again.

Brian
    Lynchy747 wrote: »
    Hi bri007,

My interpretation would be that the essay mark will be capped at 40%. The 40% will be placed where the fail grade is, and will most likely leave you with 65% or a bit above. I'm not sure how that would be displayed on a transcript however, sometimes it might say "II.1 by additional coursework" or something along those lines.

So, I don't think it will effect your grade overall. However you should contact your Course Director/ Tutor etc. just to be sure!

All the best with 4th year!

Advertisement