Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing exam results

• 19-06-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just got my results from my freshman year in Common entry Science and was really happy with them but was slightly annoyed that I got an overall score of 69.33% and only needed around .2% to qualify for a first as my overall score.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to get your exams rechecked and, if so, would you advise it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

You need to make an argument for where you feel you should have got more marks

You can request to view your exam scripts. They might have made a mistake in counting up the marks.

But you need a reason (under strict criteria) for them to recheck your scripts - it isn't like the leaving cert when you can just request it. Step one: view your scripts. I'd suggest now letting your tutor know to just in case you need them at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

Dónal wrote: »
    You can request to view your exam scripts. They might have made a mistake in counting up the marks.

But you need a reason (under strict criteria) for them to recheck your scripts - it isn't like the leaving cert when you can just request it. Step one: view your scripts. I'd suggest now letting your tutor know to just in case you need them at a later stage.

So would you suggest following it up or should I just leave them as they are? Basically are freshman exams as useless as everyone says they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

If any part of your degree matters, it would be final score, 1.1 2.1 etc. And that's only if your applying for post grad

So would you suggest following it up or should I just leave them as they are? Basically are freshman exams as useless as everyone says they are?

Follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Your case would almost certainly have been discussed as borderline at the court of examiners, and it's likely that a deliberate decision was made to leave you at the 69 rather than raise you to a first. It's not just a matter of finding an extra fraction of a percent somewhere. They look at the spread of results holistically.

That said, there's absolutely no harm in following it up for clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Freshman year doesn't count towards final year results so really it'll make no difference except for your transcript.. Take it as incentive to get further over the line in the next years. As said before it was probably discussed as all results have to be approved before being published.

While it would have been discussed, in the past I know that someone who got 69% in schols checked their scripts and marks were not added up correctly, and ended up getting 70%. So, follow up, regardless of it being first year!

Advertisement