Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance Stack Ups

• 15-09-2014 8:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the people who use GD&T and Stack ups where did you learn about them? College? Industry? On your own?

Just wondering as I learned about them on a work placement and by getting a book out of the library to help.

I studied Mechanical and Aeronautical so do Manufacturing Eng study this in uni or IT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    For the people who use GD&T and Stack ups where did you learn about them? College? Industry? On your own?

Just wondering as I learned about them on a work placement and by getting a book out of the library to help.

I studied Mechanical and Aeronautical so do Manufacturing Eng study this in uni or IT?

I learned on the job and recently went on a course with Jim Meadows (Chair of the ASME Y14.5). We did some symbols etc at undergrad but no real stacks or real world applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

On the job as well, though self-taught. GD&T is great for clarifying your design intent and for inspection/metrology, once you get a handle on how to use the symbols.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah there's so much information that is in those little symbols yet I can't remember ever coming across them in college.

GD&T and Tol Stacks I would consider important for that actual making of things which as engineers is what we want to do. Kinda messed up that they're not included on college courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I think there's a perception (in Ireland at least) that symbols = complexity = cost, which isn't the case. They are poorly understood in general by designers (badly thought - out tolerances, wrong values) and manufacturers (not understanding or controlling to design).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

anyone able to point out some good reading on this? never even heard of it in college and I could do with learning now!

• Advertisement

hughie1989 wrote: »
    anyone able to point out some good reading on this? never even heard of it in college and I could do with learning now!

http://www.amazon.com/Geometric-Dimensioning-Tolerancing-Applications-Measurement-Y14-5-2009/dp/0971440166/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411260696&sr=8-1&keywords=james+meadows
    He is the chair of the ASME y14.5 board, and an excellent book.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah there's so much information that is in those little symbols yet I can't remember ever coming across them in college.

GD&T and Tol Stacks I would consider important for that actual making of things which as engineers is what we want to do. Kinda messed up that they're not included on college courses.

I covered some but not the application in my course. It is unrealistic to expect your college course to cover everything you see in industry. They give you the tools to learn and apply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I agree and wouldn't expect it to be covered in detail but I don't remember it even being mentioned. One or two classes in the CAD classes on this would be beneficial with out causing a major disruption to the rest of the curriculum.

Advertisement